Canon Officially Announces The Speedlite 600EX II-RT & EF-M 28mm f/3.5 Macro IS STM

JP4DESIGNZ said:
TWI by Dustin Abbott said:
This lens has gotten far more interesting as the details have rolled out. I'm now officially interested in reviewing it...and spring is a great time for a macro review.

I hear you Dustin. This lens looks very interesting, especially after checking out the following link provided by Diltiazem:

http://cweb.canon.jp/ef/info/ef-m28-stm/index.html

As a lover of flash photography, I can come up with some interesting uses for a lens like this.

From that web page it seems that the LED lights only add specular highlights to the subject and are not used as a main light source. Or am I looking at it wrong?

Upvote 0

brad-man

Semi-Reactive Member
Jun 6, 2012
S Florida
Zv said:
JP4DESIGNZ said:
This lens has gotten far more interesting as the details have rolled out. I'm now officially interested in reviewing it...and spring is a great time for a macro review.

I hear you Dustin. This lens looks very interesting, especially after checking out the following link provided by Diltiazem:

As a lover of flash photography, I can come up with some interesting uses for a lens like this.

From that web page it seems that the LED lights only add specular highlights to the subject and are not used as a main light source. Or am I looking at it wrong?

Without knowing the level of the ambient lite for each scene, it's difficult to say. Since Canon saw fit to give the light two brightness settings, I would imagine the ring-light is capable of being the sole light source. We'll have to wait for reviews to be sure.

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
brad-man said:
Zv said:
JP4DESIGNZ said:

Without knowing the level of the ambient lite for each scene, it's difficult to say. Since Canon saw fit to give the light two brightness settings, I would imagine the ring-light is capable of being the sole light source. We'll have to wait for reviews to be sure.
On the German Canon HP you can find a picture with a slider that demonstrates the effect of the different LED switching states
(scroll down until you read "Das Licht steuern" and see the pic of the green plant)
http://www.canon.de/lenses/ef-m-28mm-f-3-5-macro-is-stm-lens/

To me the the potential of these LED lights depend a lot from the distance to the subject.
So no general statement possible.

By the way there is a pic slightly above showing the reflections of the LEDs in water drops.
To me this is something where anybody can decide whether they like that look or not.

Upvote 0
LWP4 said:
neuroanatomist said:
Except...using Canon's RT system with the original 600's, none of the linked flashes will fire until all of them have recycled. So having one MkII flash that recycles faster may give no benefit, or at best modest benefit if you have a relatively higher power setting only on that MkII flash. With a bunch of MkII's linked, any ready flashes will fire even if they're not all ready.
I'd thought about that. I suppose the goal would be to slowly replace the MkIs with MkIIs as money becomes available to do so. There are a lot of instances where a camera only needs two flashes (processional/recessional, sometimes first looks, etc.) and where faster recycle time could be a major advantage. Later on we could get enough to have at least one camera using just MkII flashes during the ceremony and reception, which would be HUGE.

A flash that's set to "off" when the master is in group mode can take ten minutes to recycle, and it won't affect the firing of the other flashes. So turn off the MkIs when you're doing certain things, and you get the full benefit of the faster recycle time. (And just on a tangent, the memory function is one of the smartest things Canon did with the 600EX-RT IMO.)

From the information in http://www.learn.usa.canon.com/resources/articles/2016/speedlite-600ex-ii-rt/speedlite-600ex-ii-rt-whatsnew.shtml I read that it will not recycle faster, unless the CP-E4N is used.
It will however give you more flashes before slowing down significantly due to overheating. But it might slow down slightly earlier on as a first measure to prevent overheating.

Upvote 0
When faced with the requirement to release bad news and have minimal focus put on it the approach is to smother it with something much more likely to grab attention.

What we're seeing here is Canon having added SOME capabilities to the flash but removed others.

What have they done? Smothered that by making an announcement of a new M lens with fancy macro/flash capabilities.

One entirely good announcement smothered by a mixed announcement with both released at the same time.

Upvote 0