Canon Patent Application: More Super Telephoto Zooms

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Canon has published a series of 3 patent applications at the same time dealing with super-telephoto zooms. I know we have recently covered a similar patent application not so long ago, and that usually precludes me from writing up yet-another-article on this. Personally, I’m always curious when they do multiple submissions at the same time.

See full article...

Reactions: 1 users
Nice to read Canon is working on more supertelezoom lenses. I selfishly stated before a 250-750mm would make sense or that’d be room for a supertelezoom lens built like the RF 100-400mm.

A Canon RF 200-800mm F5-6-9.0 or RF 200-1000mm F5.6-11 both sound like they could be consumer oriented lenses. 200-800 F5.6-8 sounds more like a L lens. I´d be in the market for either one depending on weight and size.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Figure 25 of the 135182 patent showed a quite compact lens which had internal zooming. Following were a couple of more figures which seemed to show it to be very well corrected. Sounds like an Elle lens. The others were all external zooming, some appearing more compact than other and not as well corrected.

The 135181 patent seems to be all about a internal zoom lenses but not quite as highly corrected as the lens in the 135182 patent.

Apparently Japanese patents are interesting today. I keep running into server error problems so have not been able to see much other than the drawings.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The RF100-400 is an absolute powerhouse for what it is. Light weight, great price, and optical performance well ahead of the pricepoint. For me, it's not a matter of whether I should've purchased that or saved up my pennies for a faster L series lens. I couldn't have afforded anything more expensive, but I am very pleased with what I've gotten out of it. A 200-800 cut from the same cloth would be very attractive to me. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
The RF100-400 is an absolute powerhouse for what it is. Light weight, great price, and optical performance well ahead of the pricepoint. For me, it's not a matter of whether I should've purchased that or saved up my pennies for a faster L series lens.
I have a bunch of faster L series lenses and I’m still very impressed with the performance of my RF 100-400.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I have a bunch of faster L series lenses and I’m still very impressed with the performance of my RF 100-400.
I bought an RF 100-400mm for wife as soon as it was released to go on her R7. I was so impressed I bought a second one for me. Yesterday we were out, she with the RF 100-400 on the R7 and me with the RF 100-500 on the R5, and both of us shot a small Nuthatch under dim conditions needing iso 5000-6000. Here are the small centre crops of the bird, the RF 100-400mm at the top. The RF 100-400 at f/.8 gives better depth of field and she has more of the bird in focus. I actually prefer the RF 100-400mm for shots near the mfd of insects - its better than the L lens 2.5x the weight and 5x the price.

3R3A3811-DxO_Nuthatch.jpg309A8855-DxO_Nuthatch_side_down_tree_looking_forward.jpg

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
Upvote 0
The RF100-400 is an absolute powerhouse for what it is. Light weight, great price, and optical performance well ahead of the pricepoint. For me, it's not a matter of whether I should've purchased that or saved up my pennies for a faster L series lens. I couldn't have afforded anything more expensive, but I am very pleased with what I've gotten out of it. A 200-800 cut from the same cloth would be very attractive to me. I'll keep my fingers crossed.
You and I and those who owned this gem loves it.

Haters just look at f numbers and have the delusion that telephotos have to be f2.8 or brighter. And everyone shoots in low light, require high shutter speed.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
You and I and those who owned this gem loves it.

Haters just look at f numbers and have the delusion that telephotos have to be f2.8 or brighter. And everyone shoots in low light, require high shutter speed.
I wonder how many of those demanding f2,8 superteles or zooms could actually afford them.
Criticising for the sake of criticising...:unsure:

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0