Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

shadowsports

R5 C - RF Trinity
CR Pro
Jan 15, 2023
Bay Area, CA
I'm glad people got pixel shift (for those who wanted it). Considering the hype, this FW update was slightly on the underwhelming side. I thought R5 users might have gotten at least one of the following: lens breathing correction, AF tracking enhancements or pre-shooting buffer. I was surprised it was only PS. I guess its important to be grateful for what you did get.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

shadowsports

R5 C - RF Trinity
CR Pro
Jan 15, 2023
Bay Area, CA
Upvote 0

vjlex

EOS R5
Oct 15, 2011
Osaka, Japan
I'm glad people got pixel shift (for those who wanted it). Considering the hype, this FW update was slightly on the underwhelming side. I thought R5 users might have gotten at least one of the following: lens breathing correction, AF tracking enhancements or pre-shooting buffer. I was surprised it was only PS. I guess its important to be grateful for what you did get.
My sentiments exactly. I don't want to be ungrateful, but I can't help thinking 'that's it?' after reading the changelog in the description. It never pays to have expectations with these type of things. Still, pixel shift should be a fun tool to play with for a few days and see if it's useful.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
My sentiments exactly. I don't want to be ungrateful, but I can't help thinking 'that's it?' after reading the changelog in the description. It never pays to have expectations with these type of things. Still, pixel shift should be a fun tool to play with for a few days and see if it's useful.
Yeah, it's Pixel shift + network saving and the emergency hot fixes from the R6 firmware. Unless '5. Fixes minor issues.' does some really heavy lifting!

My assumption was that for an allegedly 'big' firmware update we'd get a buch of the software improvements we've seen in newer bodies, like tracking in all AF modes, resizable zones and auto subject detect.

Still, this update is more than I expected for firmware updates almost 3 years into owning an R5, so I'm pretty happy with it. Not cancelling my R8 preorder, though :)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

sfericean

R3, R5, R6 x 2, & 1DXIII x 2
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Bellflower, CA
www.youtube.com
All you early adopters, AKA beta testers for the bugs in this new firmware see below:

Windows: Mac:
Godspeed and let us know how it goes!

Upvote 0

scottkinfw

Wildlife photography is my passion
CR Pro
OK. So I have read comments regarding the new EOS R5 Firmware Update, Version 1.7.0 [macOS] and the firmware for the R5. I downloaded it. I don't see any real. benefit, at least for me.

Anyone and e everyone who has downloaded the update, please share with all of us your experience with the download. Is it significant/worth it? Pls. share your thoughts as well as your pics. Or is this just a meh update?

Thanks.
Scott

Upvote 0
OK. So I have read comments regarding the new EOS R5 Firmware Update, Version 1.7.0 [macOS] and the firmware for the R5. I downloaded it. I don't see any real. benefit, at least for me.

Anyone and e everyone who has downloaded the update, please share with all of us your experience with the download. Is it significant/worth it? Pls. share your thoughts as well as your pics. Or is this just a meh update?

Thanks.
Scott
That's not the new update for the R5.

1.7.0 was released in November 2022.

The new update is 1.8.1

Upvote 0