Canon releases 2nd Quarter 2020 Financial Results

cornieleous

5D4 + R5
Jul 13, 2020
Hmm, I have a feeling it will just be Canon and Sony duking it out for the remaining shares of the ILC market. I love Nikon, but I don’t see them surviving for a lot longer.

Could see a merger, in fact seems likely eventually. If I am not mistaken, Pentax, Panasonic, Olympus, Fuji all have smaller camera market shares and buy their sensors from Sony or elsewhere. Each of those companies make some incredible stuff. None of them are major rivals and so could deal with the culture of a merger I would think.

Canon is the only one of them that bought a foundry to make their own sensors as far as I know, which was a very smart move that produced DPAF and independence from Sony. Without actually innovating new sensors and new ways to use them (such as DPAF, pixel shift, etc) the other brands become users of others technology and not at the cutting edge eventually.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Feb 13, 2018
Here is an idea, how about cameras that have the necessary cooling system to match it capabilities and doesn't overheat... How about about that concept Canon!

Sure, some effective ways for cooling
- remove IBIS and attach the sensor to a heatpipe/heatsink as it does not need to move anymore
- move the ADC from the sensor to the pcb and accept lower DR and higher noise (Canon's approach before 5Div)
- connect shell and processor with a heatpipe; allow some surface areas to get 70-80degC hot

However, I don't think you can cool a R5 body "well enough"; you have to reduce the thermal power output by
- Today: reducing MP count to ~12MP so no oversampling/pixel operations are needed
- Future: improve semiconductor node and improve computation efficiency

Welcome to engineering

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Nelu

1-DX Mark III, EOS R5, EOS R
CR Pro
What are you filming on today and how can you POSSIBLY get by with what you already have if everything is always wrong?
Now THAT is a good question!
I would love to see his work and to understand how the hell an R5 would limit his infinite creativity and to prevent him to fulfill his destiny.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
...I love Nikon, but I don’t see them surviving for a lot longer.

This seems to be a popular theme on this forum. Yet Nikon keeps soldiering on. Their customers are a least as loyal as Canon's. They seem to be hitting the mark on their mirrorless system (which does not have the issue of separate lines for full frame and APS-C that Canon faces). I'm too old to switch systems, but if I were to consider switching it would be to Nikon and never to Sony.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
This seems to be a popular theme on this forum. Yet Nikon keeps soldiering on. Their customers are a least as loyal as Canon's. They seem to be hitting the mark on their mirrorless system (which does not have the issue of separate lines for full frame and APS-C that Canon faces). I'm too old to switch systems, but if I were to consider switching it would be to Nikon and never to Sony.

For whatever reason, I seem to run into more Nikon cameras than Canon ones when I'm in an area where lots of ILCs congregate. I know that's totally at variance with the market share numbers, but for all I know the United States has a disproportionately high number of Nikonians.

Yeah, if Canon actually turns out to be doomed, Nikon will get me about a billion years before Sony will. I despised them as a company before I got into photography, and their strategy (including paid trolls and bribing youtubers) has done nothing toward improving my attitude towards them. It's not that I am a Canon "fanboy" but I'm a Sony "antifanboy"

Upvote 0
What does that mean??? Are they launching new models of concept cameras? Or are they launching new models of production cameras based on past concept cameras?

I'm guessing it's the former. New concept cameras being previewed to grab attention but maybe nothing that will reach production.
It means they have to look for other market segments (or create new ones) for income - since everything is in freefall. Meaning: create products that appeal to average users, who tend to use their phones or gopros or whatever and slice a pie off that market.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
It means they have to look for other market segments (or create new ones) for income - since everything is in freefall. Meaning: create products that appeal to average users, who tend to use their phones or gopros or whatever and slice a pie off that market.
You seemed to miss the point or at least the nuance.

Everyone knows camera manufacturers have to look for other market segments. My comment/question was in response to the specific language about their plans for the coming year. The reference to concept cameras in the report is vague in terms of what they are planning. There is a difference between actually bringing concept cameras to market and holding press events and releasing news about camera concepts. The report can read either way.

It references an initiative that to the best of my knowledge has not been previously announced. That is unusual, in that usually a new initiative would be announced before being referenced in a report to shareholders.If I were a shareholder, I would want to know "what is this new 'concept camera initiative' and why am i just now hearing about it?"

On another topic. If you are wondering why I reported your subsequent comment, I really could not care less if you or anyone else chooses to insult me. I do care when people use inappropriate and offensive terms to describe a class of people. Using the R-word to describe individuals with intellectual challenges is not appropriate and not to be tolerated.

Upvote 0
You seemed to miss the point or at least the nuance.

Everyone knows camera manufacturers have to look for other market segments. My comment/question was in response to the specific language about their plans for the coming year. The reference to concept cameras in the report is vague in terms of what they are planning. There is a difference between actually bringing concept cameras to market and holding press events and releasing news about camera concepts. The report can read either way.

It references an initiative that to the best of my knowledge has not been previously announced. That is unusual, in that usually a new initiative would be announced before being referenced in a report to shareholders.If I were a shareholder, I would want to know "what is this new 'concept camera initiative' and why am i just now hearing about it?"

On another topic. If you are wondering why I reported your subsequent comment, I really could not care less if you or anyone else chooses to insult me. I do care when people use inappropriate and offensive terms to describe a class of people. Using the R-word to describe individuals with intellectual challenges is not appropriate and not to be tolerated.
They have zero obligation to disclose what they are up to. Shareholders are shareholders, they can't hold a secret, so you should read more financial reports, then start babbling idiocies. Grow up and learn to be a proper R. And now go on and report my post, whiny boy.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
They have zero obligation to disclose what they are up to. Shareholders are shareholders, they can't hold a secret, so you should read more financial reports, then start babbling idiocies. Grow up and learn to be a proper R. And now go on and report my post, whiny boy.
Your are not worth reporting.

Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2016
I’m not sure what this means either. But, it might mean less than we want it to. Notice that the statement also has the R5 and R6 launching ‘later this year”. So this was written earlier. So it could be referring to the R5 and R6. Marketspeak, and a bit of self congratulation. I used to be in advertising, and this very much looks like advertising copy.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0