Canon releases an official statement about the EOS R5 and EOS R6 heat concerns

Any external recorder will wipe this out. I use one all the time with the EOS R and the R never gets warm and the LPE6N battery runs for hours

The EOS R used a 1:1 4K crop to reduce overheating. The sensor readout for the R5 is a bit more of a challenge. It's the reason the Nikon Z7 and Sony A7RIII had to line skip instead of oversample like their lower megapixel counterparts.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Nelu

1-DX Mark III, EOS R5, EOS R
CR Pro
Maybe Canon should just make a version of R5 with a bit bigger body, cooling fan and unlimited recording to please everyone.
You mean like this?

• Haha
Reactions: 21 users
Upvote 0

Starting out EOS R

EOS R5 - RF24-105mm F4L, RF70-200mm f2.8L
Feb 13, 2020
Comprehend it perfectly. Video recording at those resolutions moves a lot of data which creates a lot of heat (science). It's a small package packing a lot of technology. Which part of that do others fail to comprehend?
I think when anyone, me included, sees information they are interested in, they get excited and focus on that, losing some objectivity and perspective along the way.

I'm not in marketing but Canon could have positioned this a little better to manage expectations and focus on the R5 being a fantastic stills camera with some incredible options re 8K?

Maybe Everyone needs to chill a little, reflect on if they got a little too excited and manage their expectations? :sneaky:

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Oh, you mean to actually use it as a photo camera, not as a dedicated video camera?
Come on, that's crazy talk! We really want those long, boring YouTube videos to get longer and higher resolution...:)
You mean I can actually take pictures with it? I thought it was a video camera! LOL

B&H just shipped my 24-70mm F2.8L but still waiting on my R5 to see how hot it really gets.

Upvote 0

Starting out EOS R

EOS R5 - RF24-105mm F4L, RF70-200mm f2.8L
Feb 13, 2020
Maybe Canon should just make a version of R5 with a bit bigger body, cooling fan and unlimited recording to please everyone.
Haha, dont forget a 2 TB SSD to store all the RAW footage. Oh & a battery with quadruple the capacity to cope with the extra drain. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

davidhfe

CR Pro
Sep 9, 2015
Or the R6 for video people. I'd be very happy with those specs in the 1DX or full size 5D body with IBIS.

The problem is the R6 overheats after ~40 mins at it's only 4Kp30 mode. I have zero issues with the limits on the R5 (I do think Canon messed up the marketing here) but the R6 should be the world's best vlogging camera. Unfortunately, for YT production you do need a camera that you can "set and forget". I'm starting to think the R6 is a bit of a miss in terms of overall position. It "needs" a 4K crop mode (1.3?) with unlimited recording, and ideally expanded internal codecs.

Upvote 0
I will never be able to understand the thought process of an early adopter.

I hear you on that
I decided to wait and not preorder
I think the R6 will be fine but have some concerns about the R5.
I’m not a videographer but was looking forward to 4K 60 nature videos. I personally have no use for 8k.

It would be disconcerting if the R5 has an issue with this even if I never plan on using 8k. I view the R5 as a professional camera and the heir to the 5D mark.

These rumors are not what I expect from a canon professional camera from a quality standpoint. So here to hoping it’s all fuss and no substance.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
I hope that some of the video people cancel their orders, I'm planning to order one today if I get my 5D MK IV up for sale. I did a shutter count last night, 5100 actuations.

I think that even 5 minutes of 8K would be amazing. Just a few years ago, it took a big external computer and a ton of cooling to shoot 1080P.

Upvote 0
I was very excited about the R6. I still am, but I want to use the R6 as a very good budget cinema video camera. I also think this can be the case. Although I'm not satisfied with the overheating, it's something we have to deal with otherwise I should just buy myself a cinema camera,

I also think we shouldn't adress something that hasn't been fully experienced by regular consumers other than an ambassador from Canon itself on a test model.

Though regarding the overheating issue; Would I run into this issue if I set my recording mode to 4K60 and only shoot burst shots instead of continuously shooting? Like I always use my camera to regularly make few second/minute shots. therefore I'm not concerned about the max 30min recording time, but it should not just overheat when I use this camera the way I do.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
You nailed it! Your question makes totally sense to me.
Shooting 45min 8K doesn't make sense what so ever to me, regardless of who is saying it.
However, if I intend to shoot 4K120, 30sec each, how long do I have to wait between takes in order to be able to shoot for 2 hours?
I am not a slow mo guy, and won't do that, but I can understand if someone wants to.
It all depends on the time to cool between shots. It takes longer to cool than to heat, so 30 sec on, 30 sec off would gradually build up heat. Depending on ambient, that might go over a hour.

Upvote 0

JoeDavid

Unimpressed
Feb 23, 2012
You mean like this?
I was thinking the same thing except it will probably be called the C800... ;)

Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2019
I hear you on that
I decided to wait and not preorder
I think the R6 will be fine but have some concerns about the R5.
I’m not a videographer but was looking forward to 4K 60 nature videos. I personally have no use for 8k.

It would be disconcerting if the R5 has an issue with this even if I never plan on using 8k. I view the R5 as a professional camera and the heir to the 5D mark.

These rumors are not what I expect from a canon professional camera from a quality standpoint. So here to hoping it’s all fuss and no substance.
The substance is in the article there for all to see:

Both the R5 and R6 have active thermal protection that can and will be triggered when the measured limits are reached.

I find this line critical from the article posted.

"Before recording starts, the EOS R5 and EOS R6 display an estimate of the recordable time based on the current camera temperature and the set recording mode."

If this is true, the user will know before they hit the record button what they can and cannot do in terms of record length at the selected mode. So if the user wants 15mins of 4K120 (roughly 75mins of slow motion on a 4K 24P timeline) and the Camera is showing that you have 5mins of record time you have to change the shot or wait till the Camera is ready for that workload.

I think it is still fuss, because the limitations are clearly stated. If the record limits in the higher resolutions do not meet some users needs they need to look elsewhere.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

Nelu

1-DX Mark III, EOS R5, EOS R
CR Pro
I was thinking the same thing except it will probably be called the C800... ;)
Yeah, right?
Just because the R5 is overheating you can't call it a RED camera...unless you give it enough time and disable the overheating protection.

Upvote 0
Still unaddressed: Can you mitigate some of these heat concerns, at least at 4K60 and below, by using an external recorder? That way at least you're offloading the h.265 compression to an external unit.
That will most likely work.

That being said...we, as consumers, are very lucky. I remember not being able to film content because my ENG camera encountered too much humidity. I remember having to cover Blackmagic and RED cameras from direct sunlight to keep the sensors cool to minimize the chance of sensor noise. Apparently, A7s were known for overheating but I was lucky enough to not encounter that issue.

The projects I shoot for work and for fun allow me to let the camera rest in between takes. Having started out with a Canon XL2 and moving on to Sony ENGs, Cinema EOS, and ARRIs, it's generlly good practice to turn off the camera in between takes...at least to save battery power.

Every camera has it's quirks. Canon could have capped shooting options to 4K 30 fullframe but they decided to go ALL-OUT and let the thing over heat.

It's up to the consumers to take that risk and I'm one of them.

Now, if I have a paid project, I will have back up cameras and back up cameras for those camera and if the budget allows, I'll hire proper cameras.

If the R5 were a C-cam/crash cam, I'd pair it with the C500ii.

I digress but back to your comment, yes, at 4K 60p only, an external recorder may help reduce heat build up; the R5's card bay door even has heat warnings.

Upvote 0

davidhfe

CR Pro
Sep 9, 2015
I think when anyone, me included, sees information they are interested in, they get excited and focus on that, losing some objectivity and perspective along the way.

I'm not in marketing but Canon could have positioned this a little better to manage expectations and focus on the R5 being a fantastic stills camera with some incredible options re 8K?

Maybe Everyone needs to chill a little, reflect on if they got a little too excited and manage their expectations? :sneaky:

I've been thinking about this a ton. Imagine if Canon had said the following in it's R5 development announcement:

- High Res 12/20 shooting
- Full width 4K30/4K60
- Full array of codecs and bit rates
- 10 bit 422 internal and via HDMI
- DPAF in all modes
- Additional situational-use, high quality modes teased, including RAW and HFR. "Still being finalized based on user feedback"
- Could even voice over that this represents a shift from overly cautious to more aggressive, even if that means stressing the hardware.

The video world would have gone crazy. Canon finally is doing full width! Clean 422 10 bit 60fps! And then at launch, unveil those extra modes with an asterisk.

Based on the fact they had to release this followup statement, I think Canon got hit with a few whammies:
- The 8K leak happened way, way earlier and canon felt the need to address it for some reason
- COVID really botched their normal release plan
- Marketing over-promoted the 8K, and their was this weird drip-drip-drip of info (e.g. the Canon Australia thing) that made it SEEM like canon was doing some big hype train buildup.

The last one is a little tough because it's not canon that was overhyping, it was the photo/video circles on forums, YouTube, etc. But instead of video folks being thrilled, they feel like their cheese was moved. EOSHD was saying he wished canon hadn't included those modes and just given us what worked flawlessly. I disagree, but just saying "custom function" would have tempered some expectations greatly. "We weren't going to give you these options but our testers demanded we release them!"

The counter argument here is, of course, that this camera is likely going to be supply constrained for 6 months. If they're moving units and customers are happy that's not much of a fail.

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
Usual dopey comments by stills shooters who would never accept a stills camera that overheats under normal operating conditions but thinks it’s perfectly fine that video cameras do.
Of course other manufactures cameras don’t overheat under normal conditions but let’s not let reality burst our our feel good bubble.
You can’t make this stuff up. I have to find something better to do with my time.
Rubbish comment. There is no other camera with these specs.

• Haha
Upvote 0