Canon releases an official statement about the EOS R5 and EOS R6 heat concerns

I don’t think you see the concern
If the concerns are true then this is a disappointment for video users

imagine if the burst rate on your camera was limited by temperature. You would miss shots or change what you really wanted to do based on how warm your camera.

Hoping it’s not true

The substance is in the article there for all to see:

Both the R5 and R6 have active thermal protection that can and will be triggered when the measured limits are reached.

I find this line critical from the article posted.

"Before recording starts, the EOS R5 and EOS R6 display an estimate of the recordable time based on the current camera temperature and the set recording mode."

If this is true, the user will know before they hit the record button what they can and cannot do in terms of record length at the selected mode. So if the user wants 15mins of 4K120 (roughly 75mins of slow motion on a 4K 24P timeline) and the Camera is showing that you have 5mins of record time you have to change the shot or wait till the Camera is ready for that workload.

I think it is still fuss, because the limitations are clearly stated. If the record limits in the higher resolutions do not meet some users needs they need to look elsewhere.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jan 30, 2020
I'm genuinely baffled. Even by the standards of people moaning about stuff on the internet... I'll repeat what I said on another thread: when the 8K rumour first emerged (was it February?), nobody seemed to take it seriously, and naysayers including DPReview were openly suggesting it might just be a time lapse mode, or just capabl of very short clips. If you'd said back then it would be up to 20 minutes straight, people would have been pleasantly surprised. If in the interim people have convinced themselves that there would be no limitations of any kind, then that's their own naivety. You are being given MANY MORE OPTIONS THAN BEFORE. There is no perfect product. The levels of entitlement and nitpicking are trough the roof!
True. Just look at Matt Granger (Nikon guy) a few months ago assuring us it would be in MPEG, etc.

That we can film 8K Raw with DPAF for 20 minutes is absolutely incredible and represents a huge leap forward for MILC technology.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017

imagine if the burst rate on your camera was limited by temperature. You would miss shots or change what you really wanted to do based on how warm your camera.

Hoping it’s not true
how is that a disappointment? It sounds like video users are not being reasonable here.
should still shooters start complaining that we are not being given 30fps mechanical shutter speed instead of “pedestrian” 12fps and “only“ 20 FPS electronic shutter? You guys seems to Be offered up to , what, 120FPS in some Of the R5 video modes?

unfair.. what a disappointment.. Not! :)

Upvote 0
This isn't a money issue, its a simple physics issue. Your comparison to the 1DXIII makes no sense, it is twice the size of the R5, shooting a sensor less than half the MP and at a lower resolution video.
I was making a comparison between R6 and 1DXIII, not R5: ” The Canon EOS R6 is powered by Canon's DIGIC X image processor, the same processor found in the professional Canon EOS 1DX Mark II DSLR camera. With this processor, the EOS R6 can capture images at up to 20 frames per second, although with minor caveats. ” source: https://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/canon-eos-r6/canon-eos-r6A.HTM

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2014
You mean like this?

Not in the 20K price range tho. If the A7S will have unlimited 4K60P then i can see as a much better choice for video for those who want to shoot a full 2 hour show/concert with a camera or a tennis/football match for example.

I would choose the R5 any time simply because it's a much better stills camera. I think Canon did the best they could to offer the perfect stills/video hybrid
currently on the market. No other camera can come close and it's a shame that every Youtube video is about overheating.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
I never knew that a full frame camera body was supposed to replace high-end video equipment. I see these bodies as perfect for supplementing and enhancing stories told with still photos. Whoever promised being able to make entire films with little full frame camera bodies? Or replacing something that costs 5x as much and more?

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

researcher

Shooting With Trailing-Edge Gear Now & Then...
May 30, 2015
If overheating is an issue in real life use, I'm sure some 3rd party vendor will develop a vertical battery grip with a small built-in fan & filter that can gently waft some air through the body. This presumes its an issue and there are crevices in the battery compartment that will facilitate this - won't know till we regulars get one of these in our grubby little hands.

Ultimately, all of this is irrelevant - when Canon releases the R7, the APSC-sensor version of the R-series, which will allow Rebel owners to port all their EF-S lenses to the new platform with the included EF adapter, it will shoot 4K and have a global shutter, but because if its reduced size, will be immune to heat problems. The time is coming.**

** /s

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
All I know is I'm fucking stoked to be getting 4k 30p unlimited on my R5 as a stills photographer who has never had that capability, or could justify the cost of acquiring it.

You can already shoot 4K 30p without any overheating issues - just buy an EOS R for a whole lot less cash.

• Haha
Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
I am so blessed to have filmed using 400ft rolls on 35mm cameras. My left index finger would be on the on/off switch all the time. If we all learn that, the camera will not overheat, nor will the HDD get overloaded, nor will we spend hours sorting footage in edit. Of course, when we need to roll continuously we have 4k modes that do not overhead. I just do not see the problem here.

Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2019

Hoping it’s not true
I get it, but I think we have to learn to work with the limitation of the hardware or storage etc.

Example: I shoot at lot airshows which can see me take 15k shots in a single day, In 2015 I learned the hard way to watch my shot counter.

It was the first time the F22 had ever performed at Abbotsford Airshow and I was super excited to finally get me own shots of this beautiful fast mover. It was a twilight show to boot so afterburners in full display. :)

After getting the Jet on take off roll snapping away like a mad man on my 7D (bad crop sensor in low light, it was the tool I had at the time...)

I get the dreaded card full display.

I have 3 32gig cards with me that I have already filled from the Static line and Snowbirds etc etc.

I know my hit rate is 20% at best so like a idiot I am going through pictures on the back of the camera delete delete delete. While the whole time this Jet that I had waited years to not only photograph but to see is wowing the crowd with what it can do.

I have never had that happen again, and I am not looking forward to the bill for all the CFexpress storage I am going to need but it will be worth it so I do not miss the shot.

As far as the R5 goes my main concern is going to be continuous use as a hybrid. Can I be shooting say 100 pictures, see something I want to record in 4K 24 for 4 mins then switch to 4K 120 for a 30 seconds. If all of that works without the thermal protection then the Camera is perfect for me. If this cause the camera to trigger thermal protection I will be disappointed but will adapt.

F22.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

cornieleous

5D4 + R5
Jul 13, 2020
Oh NO how will I ever deal with shooting un-cropped regular 4K30P indefinitely without heat problems?! Or ONLY 30 minutes of 4K60? Or ONLY 20 minutes of 8K. Just the memory card to record 20 mins of 8K or any of the over sampled 4K formats costs several hundreds of dollars at cheapest. The computer to edit fast and routinely in 8K or oversampled 4K will cost several thousand more and require multiple high end graphics cards and at least a couple dozen cores to not choke on renders and conversions. How about that 8K monitor or two? Are you complainers too cheap to buy a second body after you lay out that first 10+ grand for 8K or oversampled 4K workflow? Are you really going to shoot an interview or wedding or other long event with one camera in such ridiculous resolution? How unprofessional that will look... Is it that you must have the silly Netflix badge of dishonor on your blogging cam? All these people just continue whining mercilessly about their disappointment with no basis in reality. How come professionals who actually make impressive content seem to always embrace the limitations of cutting edge tools and still get incredible results, but for all these perpetual complainers, "it's unusable because it is not magic" and they can never produce great content?

These cameras are some of the best anyone has released for stills AND video by any reasonable account, but somehow nothing Canon can do is ever enough. This heat issue is basic physics and there are NOT any other cameras that do it any better except the only single comparable body out there with a fan inside, and it doesn't even have 8K option (S1H).

How can so many people be whining so hard when A) the camera has not even shipped and B) you couldn't even get close to this capability a year ago? How are you all possibly getting by with your current camera, oh the humanity! Learn something about sensors, ADC readout, integrated circuits and heat and maybe it will dawn on you this is the best possible with physics and that all products are a business and engineering compromise. Disappointed? What were you expecting?!

Haven't heard from a single productive professional with a realistic use case where this heat issue will be a problem, and Canon is the first manufacturer to be up front about it. All the lame negative youtube clickbait videos out are just getting attention and traffic to pay for their do nothing version of making a living, and bamboozling easily influenced people. The majority of these channels make their living spouting inane opinions and maximum controversy just like media. We get far more FACTS right here on a rumors site. One or two reviews or speculative videos are out with balanced intellect from professionals who actually make decent content and understand all tools have limits. No one practical is going to shoot some wedding or interview or other long event in 8K or oversampled 4K because they actually need to. Anyone doing work that REQUIRES 8K can afford more than one camera, and probably a crew, and probably has a shot list and a plan.

Why are people so entitled and spoiled these days to think every company owes them their unreasonable expectations for whatever low price they name?

Upvote 0

twoheadedboy

EOS R5
CR Pro
Jan 3, 2018
Sturtevant, WI
You can already shoot 4K 30p without any overheating issues - just buy an EOS R for a whole lot less cash.

Good catch, I was imprecise. EOS R only does with 1.8x crop, 8-bit, UHD. That is even more limiting, in my mind, than how the R5 implements 8K, and none of those limitations exist at 4K 30p non-HQ.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Very cool! It is definitely a niche use case, but would love to see the output.

I'll be sure to link it in the relevant section(s) here in the forums, but I have a feeling the delivery date of my pre-ordered R5 will be after the flowers stopped blooming in my garden. Just like the 100-500 (which I didn't order) would arrive after dragonfly season.

Upvote 0
I'm genuinely baffled. Even by the standards of people moaning about stuff on the internet... I'll repeat what I said on another thread: when the 8K rumour first emerged (was it February?), nobody seemed to take it seriously, and naysayers including DPReview were openly suggesting it might just be a time lapse mode, or just capabl of very short clips.

This is such a great point. I remember this. Most of us would have been stoked at even 10 mins of 8k footage

Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2019
This just confirms the camera is useless. It’s been presented as a revolution for video and everyone was pumped about it but it’s completely unsable in real life. To all the idiots who rushed to buy it, Cancel your order before it’s too late... The camera will be called the frying pankake...
Yeah, how dare anyone used unlimited, un-cropped, 4K 30 and 4K 24 for making videos in 2020.
shame.jpg

Upvote 0
Usual dopey comments by stills shooters who would never accept a stills camera that overheats under normal operating conditions but thinks it’s perfectly fine that video cameras do.
Of course other manufactures cameras don’t overheat under normal conditions but let’s not let reality burst our our feel good bubble.
You can’t make this stuff up. I have to find something better to do with my time.
There is exactly 0 FF-cameras that records 8K and 4K120P outside R5. I don't think it's another FF-camera out there that record 4K60P at 10bit 4:2:2 full width internally except 1DX 3 either. The next Sony will do it (4K60 & 120P rumored) and Nikon will follow as well. Unfortunately there's not much info about external recording on either the R5 or R6.

Upvote 0

adigoks

EOS 750D
Jul 12, 2020
so if overheat control is 'on' the video quality will automatically change to 4K 30p pixel binning? if it is, then its pretty insteresting.
also ,yes we know canon choose to make R5 & R6 as proper weathershielded camera . but somehow it got me thinking, why they didnt put airflow hole below the camera and cover it with rubber cover like they did with I/O port. when user need more airflow they can just open that cover. i believe canon can do that, make it like S1H and still maintain the weather resistant. maybe canon have other things into consideration like protectic their cinema line for example. but that just a guess, im not an expert at all .

Upvote 0