Canon releases an official statement about the EOS R5 and EOS R6 heat concerns

Rule556

I see no reason for recording the obvious. -Weston
Dec 19, 2019
Seattle
www.flickr.com
I'll be recording a surfing competition using 4K60. Camera is rated for 25 minutes in 73F weather. But it will be 95F with no clouds at noon. How long do I have before it shuts down? How long to do I need to wait for it to cool down? If I wait 10 minutes to cool down, how long will I be able to shoot again for (it's 10 minutes @73 but it's 95F). Anyone can answer me right now?, in exact minutes?

Then you’ll be using the wrong tool for the job. I feel like you’re being deliberately obtuse. Use one of the other non-limited 4K modes, or rent a video camera designed for the job you have.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Rule556

I see no reason for recording the obvious. -Weston
Dec 19, 2019
Seattle
www.flickr.com
So are the Canon-Butt-Kissers appologizing for any flaws as not being an issues because All-Mighty-Canon-God is perfection. :)

Please, what is the point of these forums if we're restricted to only be able to write positive or write negative things about products. People have differences in opinions....I was only kidding in my above paragraph. I like to play devil's advocate to get a wide range of opinions to help with my purchasing decisions. But at the same time, need to make sure to separate fact from fiction.

Well, the fact is that this is a stills camera with hybrid video capability not available anywhere at this price range. It is not a dedicated video camera. You’re expecting things from this camera it was not designed to do.

Just because you had unrealistic expectations doesn’t mean the camera is a failure, or that the people for whom this camera is perfect for, are somehow wrong.

Call me a butt kisser all you want, but as an after sales manager for a high-end luxury product company, I see this attitude all the time. Devices are designed for a particular market segment, and they may not be right for you. This doesn’t mean the product fails, it means you wish it were different. That’s all.

My guess is that this will be a hugely successful product for Canon, and its release will be seen, in hindsight, as a watershed product in this industry.

Upvote 0
We need a Drake Equation for people who cry about the R5 "overheating." Let's call it the YouTuber Circle Jerk Equation:

N = # of people who should be legit concerned about the R5 heat buildup over time and are are not just shitting on Canon because Canon just handed their camera's specs their ass but should also probably just buy a C100/300/500

R(d): fraction of people who actually desire the R5 for something other than mainly still photography
R($): fraction of people who can afford the R5
R(vid): fraction of people who actually need to shoot video with a tiny, weather-sealed, mirrorless, 45 megapixel camera with no fan (because it's sealed)
R(uhd): fraction of people who need to shoot anything over 1080p
R(cf.uhd): fraction of people willing/able to purchase CFExpress cards large enough to shoot a shitload of consecutive minutes of 4k 120
R(cf.8k): fraction of people willing/able to purchase CFExpress cards large enough to shoot > 20 min of 8k 30p RAW (EIGHT KAY THIRTY P RAW!)
R(pro): fraction of people who shoot video professionally and require > 20 min of 8K
R(pro.long): fraction of people who shoot video professionally and require > 20 min of 8K and need > 20 min RIGHT NOW with no cool down because that's their only 8k camera (lolx20)

N = R(d) * R($) * R(vid) * R(uhd) * R(cf.uhd) * R(cf.8k) * R(pro) * R(pro.long) = like, 20 people probably lol

OR...you could always go get the other tiny, weather-sealed, mirrorless, 45 megapixel, 12/20 fps, 8k RAW-recording camera from sony/pentax/fuji/nikon/olympu...errrrr nm.

The more who jump off the sooner I get mine so carry on!

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
How come nobody has talked about the 29:59 limit, RS or battery life yet.. Come on guys/gals.. I think the thermal talk is done to death already and we need to speed up and continuing discussing all of its other flaws so we can get through all of them before we get to start all over again and talk about Sony's long list of flaws on the 28th. I might start by arguing how 12MP might be enough for stills and everything else is overkill.... :LOL:. What a busy month for shooters... :ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0

davidhfe

CR Pro
Sep 9, 2015
I do wonder how you would get 4k or FHD RAW out of a 45 M pixel sensor, especially full frame. Which Bayer array pixels and lines would you skip, and would you call that RAW? Or would you be happy with a really heavy crop?

R6 probably could do 4k RAW with an almost manageable crop, though.

I'd very much like to see an APS-C 5.1K RAW mode on the R5. Same for the R6, though I guess the UHS-II cards aren't fast enough?

Upvote 0
The guys from DPReview have finished their review of the R6, here we go:

Cheers

Upvote 0
Since that era I haven’t seen pixel density/noise differences that can’t be post processed away

You can't postprocess away the difference between sensors. If sensor A lags behind sensor B and you reduce noise on images from sensor A, you can also reduce noise on images from sensor B and it's ahead again. Postprocessing doesn't eliminate the difference and doesn't improve sensor performance.

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
You can't postprocess away the difference between sensors.
Sometimes you cannot, sometimes you can.

You can postprocess away the difference between a 8K sensor and a 4K sensor if what you want as the end result is 4K. But not if what you want is 8K.

If sensor A lags behind sensor B and you reduce noise on images from sensor A, you can also reduce noise on images from sensor B and it's ahead again. Postprocessing doesn't eliminate the difference and doesn't improve sensor performance.
If you apply the same postprocessing to your 4K sensor, you will end up with FHD, which might be not what you wanted.

Upvote 0

Starting out EOS R

EOS R5 - RF24-105mm F4L, RF70-200mm f2.8L
Feb 13, 2020
Try opening your videos in Adobe Premiere, you'll find it more practical...
After some searching and doing a very unmanly thing, looking at the Canon EOS R manual lol, (who ever does that?? :ROFLMAO: the manual is horrendous and hard to find what you want) I found the paragraph that explains how to grab a frame from a 4k movie in Camera. On the EOS R, it gives an approximately 8.3mp stills JPEG so if the R5 can produce a 35mp still the same way, I'll be a very happy man and probably actually shoot in 8K when it's possible a stills shot at 20FPS might not catch it. I don't think there is any risk either of me getting close to the 8K recording limit either.

Thinking about it, I'm not sure I'll ever have a situation where 20fps won't capture the image with the type of shots I do but it's always nice to have the extra feature for unexpected situations, maybe like a wedding, throwing the bouquet or confetti etc. It might actually mean I broaden my horizons.

Upvote 0

freejay

CR Pro
Feb 3, 2015
I am a photographer first as well and interested mostly in the 45MP. However, I shoot band and choir concerts quite often on my 1DX II.
If you tell us more what disappoints you most among the video limits, someone with better experience may suggest how would you use the camera once you get it. I am assuming that you want to frame, press record, take a comfortable sit, wait until the concert is finished and press stop. But I am assuming and I can be wrong.
Let us know.
You seem to think that I'm not very experienced with cameras and therefore you want to help me. I really appreciate that. But I am experienced, so I know what I'm talking about and what the limits of this camera are.

What am I most disappointed with? That they still include the 29 minutes59 seconds limit that made some financial sense in former years, but not anymore since 1 or 2 years. Now for concerts I need to by an external recorder for another 700 € or so. After paying almost 5000 € for the camera. That is really a pity... I can totally live with some heat limitations in special modes but the fact that the not heat limited modes are also limited by recording length is really disappointing. For me. I ordered it anyway, so... ;-)

Upvote 0
You can postprocess away the difference between a 8K sensor and a 4K sensor if what you want as the end result is 4K. But not if what you want is 8K.

I was referring rather to the noise reduction.
But with 4k/8k, that shows exactly why you can't 'postprocrosses away' the difference.

Upvote 0
I'll be a very happy man and probably actually shoot in 8K when it's possible a stills shot at 20FPS might not catch it.

tbh it looks like an emergency replacement of high speed stills shooting for very very edge cases.
Grabbed jpegs from 8K stream may and will disappoint when compared to stills in raw format.

Upvote 0
That's how you reduce the "extra" noise on the 8K sensor when the resolution of the 4K sensor would be good enough for you.

But the point was to do noise reduction on a poorer image so that it allegedly 'postprocrosses away' the difference. Not downsample 8k to 4k which is completely pointless in terms of this talk.

I have a 45mp low noise image, you have a 24mp high noise image. We both shot the same scene at the same time.
I don't give you my image. Now postprocess away the difference, so that a third party won't tell which one is which.

Upvote 0

Besisika

How can you stand out, if you do like evrybdy else
Mar 25, 2014
Montreal
You seem to think that I'm not very experienced with cameras and therefore you want to help me. I really appreciate that. But I am experienced, so I know what I'm talking about and what the limits of this camera are.

What am I most disappointed with? That they still include the 29 minutes59 seconds limit that made some financial sense in former years, but not anymore since 1 or 2 years. Now for concerts I need to by an external recorder for another 700 € or so. After paying almost 5000 € for the camera. That is really a pity... I can totally live with some heat limitations in special modes but the fact that the not heat limited modes are also limited by recording length is really disappointing. For me. I ordered it anyway, so... ;-)
Aah, my bad. Since you are very experienced, you need no help. That is good.

Upvote 0