Canon RF 85mm f1.2 L IS USM DS review

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Photographyblog posted their review of 85mm DS.
Thanks for sharing.

they didn’t think to have a few portraits to really show it off then, okaaaay....
*lol*
the samples are so ordinary o_O

Except for two nothing to look at the DS bokeh.
Most shot at f/5.6 or smaller, the ones at f/1.2 or f/1.4 with really no BG to show bokeh.
It seems they really know what they are doing - err, don't :rolleyes:

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
Thanks for sharing.

*lol*
the samples are so ordinary o_O

Except for two nothing to look at the DS bokeh.
Most shot at f/5.6 or smaller, the ones at f/1.2 or f/1.4 with really no BG to show bokeh.
It seems they really know what they are doing - err, don't :rolleyes:
I know, right? Absolutely hopeless... it’s not the lens I buy for f11 building fronts :p

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
For those interested in this lens, and wanting to see a few portraits (with links to some further), you may be interested in the CPS (UK at least) story about Felicia Cisco's try out of this lens. It's obviously Canon's take, but good shots nonetheless. You should be able to link to it here: rf-85mm-f1-2l-usm-ds-first-shoot

Cheers. Stoical.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
For those interested in this lens, and wanting to see a few portraits (with links to some further), you may be interested in the CPS (UK at least) story about Felicia Cisco's try out of this lens. It's obviously Canon's take, but good shots nonetheless. You should be able to link to it here: rf-85mm-f1-2l-usm-ds-first-shoot

Cheers. Stoical.
Thanks for sharing!

I must admit, seeing the side by side in your link, I much prefer the regular RF85, perhaps the bokeh is of higher quality, not even sure if I think that at all, but when there’s less blur I like it less .. but I have seen some headshots from the DS I really liked previously.

Upvote 0
Thanks for sharing!

I must admit, seeing the side by side in your link, I much prefer the regular RF85, perhaps the bokeh is of higher quality, not even sure if I think that at all, but when there’s less blur I like it less .. but I have seen some headshots from the DS I really liked previously.
Not so much for me - if I'm honest, I'm having to look very close to see any real difference - and not helped (in my case) by the slightly different angles (backgrounds) and shutter speeds used. I think I just prefer the DS version shots, but I prefer each side by side differently, so I'm really not sure :unsure:

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
... you may be interested in the CPS (UK at least) story about Felicia Cisco's try out of this lens. It's obviously Canon's take, but ...
Thanks for sharing.
But I like to see reviews and samples from others than the OEM (if good). I've never seen samples from the lens builder that didn't make them shine.

Last edited:
Upvote 0