Canon to release major firmware update for the Canon EOS R5

Apr 25, 2011
The removal of the 30 minute limit is wishful thinking. It's not a technical issue. It's a TAX issue.

Canon would have to reclassify from stills camera to video camera and back tax all R5 units sold ever, to be able to do this.

It's not going to happen.
It's not a TAX issue as such, already for longer than the R5 was existing.

However, to remove the limit, Canon may need to change the HS code of the R5 for customs purposes (from 85258020 to 85258900, afaik), which may require re-certification for some markets (EAEU in particular).

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

Mark M

R5, 7D, 50D, 350D, A1, FTb
Jul 29, 2020
The removal of the 30 minute limit is wishful thinking. It's not a technical issue. It's a TAX issue.

Canon would have to reclassify from stills camera to video camera and back tax all R5 units sold ever, to be able to do this.

It's not going to happen.
I'm sorry, but this is incorrect. The EU law regarding taxation on 'video recorders' was repealed several years ago. So it's no longer a tax issue, and Canon would not have to do what you suggest. It is a technical issue and not a tax issue.

Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
However, to remove the limit, Canon may need to change the HS code of the R5 for customs purposes (from 85258020 to 85258900, afaik), which may require re-certification for some markets (EAEU in particular).
Right, which would mean that Canon could not remove the 30 minute limit retroactively unless they could somehow geofence the firmware.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
This would be very welcome, but I'm not getting my hopes up. I don't think we'll get an R6II style 'auto' option for subject detection.

One of the things I would like to see added to Canon firmwares in general is the ability to select a 3D box for limiting the AF zone. With the R3 and newer bodies we received the ability to resize the AF zones to get a 2D box, but not the ability to set focus limiters. Being able to set a 3D area would be great for monitoring perches and burrows.
In-body focus limiters of the type you describe would also be extremely useful for BIF, making it far less likely that focus would jump to the background. It would also greatly minimise hunting when shooting near-macro subjects. Far more useful than the traditional mechanical focus limiters on lenses.

Such a feature would certainly fall into the category of "features which are above and beyond anything currently in the EOS R line up."

But I'm not getting my hopes up either....

Upvote 0

TonyG

R5
Oct 17, 2022
Toronto
"We were also told to expect a couple of “new” features for the EOS R5 which are above and beyond anything currently in the EOS R line up."

The excitement mounts...
Hopefully it’s more video codecs?
What really aggravates me with my R5 is I need a cf express card to record 4k 120 because it records at all-i and there is no option for ipb. I can record 8k ipb to an SD card. It’s also almost impossible to edit any H265 log footage in premier.
Sony gives you the options for ipb at H264 in log and it is a huge difference between trying to edit R5 footage.
Maybe a new feature not in any of the EOS R line will be clog 2? It’s usually reserved for the Cinema line. The dynamic range would be a big difference. That would give a huge fighting chance to make R5 footage more usable and convert some Sony fanboys.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
"We were also told to expect a couple of “new” features for the EOS R5 which are above and beyond anything currently in the EOS R line up."

The excitement mounts...
Not wanting to be a downer but whenever we get these nebulous statements in rumours, they never seem to materialise. People inject a lot of wishful thinking then get disappointed.

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I'm sorry, but this is incorrect. The EU law regarding taxation on 'video recorders' was repealed several years ago. So it's no longer a tax issue, and Canon would not have to do what you suggest. It is a technical issue and not a tax issue.
What matters is how the camera was registered with regulatory agencies. Do you have that information for the R5? I doubt it.

Upvote 0

Starblade22

CR Pro
Sep 15, 2020
My R5 wish list items:

1. Make the viewfinder live when shooting in burst mode (Rather than the 'strobe' like motion we get now). This would greatly assist in tracking moving subjects. (aircraft, birds, etc.) The sound and vibration of the shutter let me know that I am capturing photos. They can add a one pixel box that flashes at the edge of the frame if they want.
2. Add aircraft to vehicle recognition.
3. Pre-shooting buffer.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
Make the viewfinder live when shooting in burst mode (Rather than the 'strobe' like motion we get now).
Unfortunately, I think that a blackout-free viewfinder would require a new sensor with a faster readout, a new EVF module, and a faster processor - so don't expect any of this via a firmware update.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Unfortunately, I think that a blackout-free viewfinder would require a new sensor with a faster readout, a new EVF module, and a faster processor - so don't expect any of this via a firmware update.
Correct. The R3 has blackout-free burst shooting, enabled by the faster readout of the stacked sensor.

Upvote 0
Apr 29, 2019
This would be very welcome, but I'm not getting my hopes up. I don't think we'll get an R6II style 'auto' option for subject detection.

One of the things I would like to see added to Canon firmwares in general is the ability to select a 3D box for limiting the AF zone. With the R3 and newer bodies we received the ability to resize the AF zones to get a 2D box, but not the ability to set focus limiters. Being able to set a 3D area would be great for monitoring perches and burrows.
Wildlife photographers need adjustable focus limiters since years - and don't get them ....

Upvote 0

LSXPhotog

Automotive, Commercial, & Motorsports
CR Pro
Apr 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
www.diossiphotography.com
Honestly, just an update to exactly what the R6II offers would be all I could ask for…it’s unbelievable that the R6 Mark II has more capable features than the R5 and the R3!

Nearly every single time I speak with representatives at Canon I make sure to tell them that the R5 needs a shutter sound for electronic shutter, and both the R3/R5 need better options for choosing the frames per second in electronic shutter. Then the R6II got false color for video exposure!!! Now I want that in the $6,000 R3!! Haha

The R6II may look like a minor update to the original R6, but it’s actually very impressive overall. It works so well and I can finally FINALLY save custom shooting settings for video! Haha

Upvote 0
This does sound exciting:

• Lens breathing correction
  • Pre-shooting buffer
  • Removal of 30 minutes record limit
  • Vehicle tracking AF mode (bikes, trains & planes)
  • Additional tracking for more animals

Another two that would really be useful are
- Subject Only AF for video
- UVC/UAC support

If the AF modes were changed to match the R3/R7/R10/R6II style, it would be awesome. Bringing the R5 feature set close to that of lower-cost models to extend the life of the camera makes sense.

I also don't think it is crazy for Canon to introduce a slew of new features 3 years into the R5's life. They could introduce a number of "teaser" features that have big caveats that would be removed with the R5 II, just to get everyone primed to upgrade.

For example:

- AF "3D" limit, i.e., both a box in the frame and depth focus limiters
R5: Only with ES and restricted to 3fps with a worse rolling shutter than the current ES
R5 II: Full 40fps ES (and other slower modes) with minimal rolling shutter, i.e., better than that of the current ES, as well as mechanical shutter support

- High-resolution pixel shift
- R5: In-camera 8-bit jpeg only with quality that is only minimally (if at all) better than AI SW upscaling.
- R5 II: Raw file with clear improvement over AI SW upscaling.

Upvote 0