Canon to release major firmware update for the Canon EOS R5

Jan 27, 2020
Wildlife photographers need adjustable focus limiters since years - and don't get them ....
The top Olympus (now OM Systems) cameras allow you to set focus limits. A great feature and the main reason I use my OM-1 most often, rather than my R7, for Bird Photography, both BIF and close up shots. It would be a great feature to be added.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jul 19, 2011
I\'d be in the boat for a R5C update, skipped the R5 and preferred the former.

The inability to record to SSD over USB might be a welcome candidate.

However, the worst problems of the R5C can\'t be fixed in firmware:
- Inability to externally power the camera and at the same time control it on a Ronin RS3 Pro Gimbal
- Accident prone USB-C instead of a barrel plug found on the C70 for external power
- Even more accident prone micro HDMI plug

Upvote 0
IBIS multi-shot please!

The feature I'd like to see - perhaps the one mentioned as not available in other Canon cameras - would be the combining of multiple shots, each moved over one pixel by the IBIS, into a higher resolution file. I loved this with my old Panasonic S1R. Sony's version of it has been pretty bad, although I haven't tried the most recent version of it.

In any case, it'll be panned if it isn't done in-camera. If it requires Canon's processing software, it'll be as successful as Dual Pixel RAW.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

DrD

Jun 11, 2021
Some talk about pixel shift as a new feature (similar to A7R5), but perhaps some new video codecs like ProRes 422 (or transcode feature in-camera) as Canon 4K HEVC 10-bit 422 is so difficult to edit on most computers, which is why I record externally to BM VA 12G HDR 7-inch recorder. Shortly after the R5 appeared in 2020, there was some talk of BRAW via HDMI for the R5, like the Nikon Z6 I & II and Z7 I & II, Panasonic S1/S5/GH5S, Sigma fp and Fuji GFX100, XH-2/XT-5. Last Canon to output BRAW was the C300 mk II, plus should be easy to implement. More and more NLE users are using Da Vinci Resolve as opposed to PPro or FCP. I purchased the R5 two years ago as the best hybrid mirrorless camera, as I do both stills and video, but video files are insanely large and 8K Raw causes BSOD on my i7 desktop (16GB RAM + 1080ti) and are barely editable on my M1 Max 64GB Macbook. Some new video codecs would be well received, especially 4K Raw 60fps or 4K 60 4:2:2 ProRes. The 30 min limit and overheating never occurred for me, as I record video externally with no battery in the camera (DC coupler DR-E6 to NP-F970) and often removed the memory cards (recording to 1TB and 2TB Samsung T5s instead). If it is a choice between pixel shift 180 MP images or improved video codecs/frame rates etc., I know which I would pick.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Some talk about pixel shift as a new feature (similar to A7R5), but perhaps some new video codecs like ProRes 422 (or transcode feature in-camera) as Canon 4K HEVC 10-bit 422 is so difficult to edit on most computers, which is why I record externally to BM VA 12G HDR 7-inch recorder. Shortly after the R5 appeared in 2020, there was some talk of BRAW via HDMI for the R5, like the Nikon Z6 I & II and Z7 I & II, Panasonic S1/S5/GH5S, Sigma fp and Fuji GFX100, XH-2/XT-5. Last Canon to output BRAW was the C300 mk II, plus should be easy to implement. More and more NLE users are using Da Vinci Resolve as opposed to PPro or FCP. I purchased the R5 two years ago as the best hybrid mirrorless camera, as I do both stills and video, but video files are insanely large and 8K Raw causes BSOD on my i7 desktop (16GB RAM + 1080ti) and are barely editable on my M1 Max 64GB Macbook. Some new video codecs would be well received, especially 4K Raw 60fps or 4K 60 4:2:2 ProRes. The 30 min limit and overheating never occurred for me, as I record video externally with no battery in the camera (DC coupler DR-E6 to NP-F970) and often removed the memory cards (recording to 1TB and 2TB Samsung T5s instead). If it is a choice between pixel shift 180 MP images or improved video codecs/frame rates etc., I know which I would pick.
Wouldn't there be additional licensing costs for Canon to add the other codecs?
There is one thing to add features that "only" need internal coding/Canon resources but it would be another to decrease their margins especially as it looks like there are discounts available on the current model.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

fr34k

Canon R5 and lots of RF glass
Jul 16, 2022
Love the news. There are quite a few software features the R5 is lacking compared to the R7 or R6 ii. I'd be amazing if they're all included.
My hopes include:
- breathing correction (essential for macro video)
- insect tracking
- focus stacking internally
- electronic shutter with HDR PQ enabled
- false colour
- histogram and level during shooting
- waveform (yeah, that's a far fetch, but still)
- when something is greyed out a tap on it reveals why
- 2 picture view (like the 5D iii had) to compare two at the same time
- customisable Q Menu
- tracking in all modes
- more button customisations (m-fn is the only one for Photo-Video switch AND C1-3 cycling)
- MF always on for all lenses
- stop focusing entirely if no subject is found until it is regained (in video)
- ... the list goes on

Don't be mistaken, I absolutely love my R5 and would not trade it for something else on the market right now, but there is so much potential inside that camera that could be lured out with some software improvements. I want to also take the time however, and really praise Canon on what they've done so far. The R5 still is one of the best cameras out there and that's some two and half years after her debut. The competition brought out some fancy new things, yet the R5 still stays strong and that's at least in part due to their absolutely commendable upgrading with software. Thanks Canon and please continue with this as long as possible.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

Dragon

EF 800L f/5.6, RF 800 f/11
May 29, 2019
Oregon
All the dreamwishes aside, free major feature updates to a product you bought two years ago is a big customer loyalty builder. It would serve as a message that if you spend the big bucks up front, we will take care of you down the road. That makes buying an R5 II, R5 S , or whatever that much more attractive. It also puts a lot of heat on Sony with their "buy a new camera every year to get the latest features" game. The market space that the R5 lives in is very competitive, so good odds we will see significant new features.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
It's good that they are still updating the R5 with new features, I thought it would only get minor bug fixes at this stage. I think most of the new features will be in line with the newer bodies and maybe a bit better if possible. I would be surprised if they removed the 30min record limit due to the potential legal issues.

Since the R5 is getting updated then they should update the R3 with the extra features as well.

Upvote 0
Nov 20, 2022
Excited to see the R5 still getting love and still being such a strong camera in the market. My wishlist is for the R5C however.

- Battery optimization via Low Res standby mode to enhance battery life, so no rigging is necessary. I love the r5c video and this is prob my major let down with it, when trying to get great video and keeping it compact.
- In addition, allowing 8k60 and AF with the new battery optimizations
- Some of the AF modes from the photo side!! That would be killer to get those modes into the cinema OS.
- Clog 2 built in.. come on, just give it to me.
- Same eye tracking in 4k120 updates as the c70 just got last December
- Uploadable LUTS in camera for viewing only, not just burn in.

That’s about it.. give me that and I prob won’t need another mirrorless hybrid ever…

Upvote 0