Canon to release major firmware update for the Canon EOS R5

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Honestly, just an update to exactly what the R6II offers would be all I could ask for…it’s unbelievable that the R6 Mark II has more capable features than the R5 and the R3! [...]
Wait till the R8 gets released, that will be an even bigger contrast, being the new entry level model!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I like that they keep supporting the cameras going forwards

I would personally love to see some more smart features built in for things like timelapses to help with exposure when the lighting conditions are changing.

That or a dedicated astro mode to stack images in camera.

Just simple things that you dont have to use all the time but if you want to get a decent image in a pinch without more setup or indepth knowledge of a particular field of photography, it would get you by.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
In mechanical?
It isn't possible to have *real time* blackout-free bursts with a mechanical shutter that physically closes between exposures. The blackout *can* be eliminated by keeping the first image active until the subsequent image takes its place, but that would result in a juddery display. If you want a real time blackout-free EVF without any juddering, electronic shutter is the only way.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Hope they add focus assist in manual mode with "truly" manual lenses without electronic communication
and also, focus bracketing with mechanical shutter to be able to do hdr and flash
and finally super resolution, with sensor shifting
I'd love to see focus assist with manual lenses as well. Anyone know the reason why this is not currently the case? It's also not available on the C70, so I suspect electronic communication with the lens is required.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
I'd love to see focus assist with manual lenses as well. Anyone know the reason why this is not currently the case? It's also not available on the C70, so I suspect electronic communication with the lens is required.
Yes, for focus assist to work, there would have to be electronic talk between body and lens.

Upvote 0
If the firmware upgrade includes...
  • Pre-shooting buffer
  • Vehicle tracking AF mode (bikes, trains & planes)
  • Additional tracking for more animals
I´ll most likely pull the trigger and get the R5. With the current price drop, trade-ins and such, it is within a range I can justify it. R5mkii will be bloody expensive (I'm guessing at least 4.999 €).

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
If the firmware upgrade includes...
  • Pre-shooting buffer
  • Vehicle tracking AF mode (bikes, trains & planes)
  • Additional tracking for more animals
I´ll most likely pull the trigger and get the R5. With the current price drop, trade-ins and such, it is within a range I can justify it. R5mkii will be bloody expensive (I'm guessing at least 4.999 €).
Even without those extra features, the R5 is a superb camera. I honestly wouldn't swap mine for any other model. And at grey market £2770 it's an absolute bargain!

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
The original post said this:

So I’m assuming that is not about fully electronic shutters :)
Thanks, I did not read far enough back. As @entoman stated, a blackout-free viewfinder is not possible with a mechanical shutter (except, as he also indicated, if the camera 'cheats' and holds the EVF image from just before the shutter closes until the shutter reopens, but that would be a just as jittery as the blackout, without the actual blackout).

The blackout-free electronic shutter on the R3 is very nice for tracking flying birds while shooting at 30 fps.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Firmware updates are nice, although I'm not sure any of them are anything I care all that much about. However, I like the idea that the R5II will arrive next year. That's what I expected and it is consistent with Canon's usual schedule. I'm about three-fourths of the way to having what I need saved up (I have to buy two, one for myself and one for my wife) so I appreciate having the extra time to accumulate savings.

Hoping that by that time, there will be improvements to autofocus, which is just about all I think needs some improvement. It's not bad, but improvements are always better.

Upvote 0
It was phased out.
It did not go out of effect the second it was repealed.
I am going to go ahead a guess that you are not from Europe while you are debating someone is is from there.
Whether it was phased out or the tariff was eliminated... there is no EU tariff on camcorders currently. Beginning in 2016, the World Trade Organization's (WTO) Committee on the Information Technology Agreement (ITA) reached agreement on eliminating the tariffs covering many technology products including "camcorders." To quote the WTO "The declaration established that the first set of tariff cuts were to be implemented on 1 July 2016 and the second set no later than 1 July 2017, with successive reductions taking place on 1 July 2018 and effective elimination no later than 1 July 2019." Either way, by July 1, 2019 the tariffs on good covered were eliminated.

WTO: https://www.wto.org/english/news_e/news16_e/ita_20apr16_e.htm

See also this question answered by the chair of a commission of the European Parliament (Moscovici). You will note that the question specifically asks about the European Union's classification of "devices with a recording capacity of 30 minutes or more as video cameras or camcorders."

Question to EU Parliament: https://www.europarl.europa.eu/doceo/document/E-8-2016-001277_EN.html
Answer: https://www.europarl.europa.eu/doceo/document/E-8-2016-001277-ASW_EN.html

To quote the EU Parliament Commission Chair "This means that the customs duties for camcorder will be removed after the revised agreement enters into force and thus in extension benefit EU consumers." (Emphasis added). Let us put to bed these flawed arguments that the EU still has a tariff on camcorders or cameras capable of recording more than 30 minutes. There is no tariff. It was eliminated between 4-7 years ago.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0