Canon unveils the PowerShot Zoom

I also find it interesting. a 1/3 in sensor is smart phone sized, so it will have to compete with smart phones which may be difficult. I expect that they are being cautious.
smartphones don't have a 100-400mm zoom though.

I'd totally get this. hard to bring cameras into a sporting event these days.. imagine a pocket sized 100-400?

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Why is that any better than the existing powershots with greater optical range, equivalent price and foot print?
The latest SX740 HS got a 24-960 equiv. F/3.3-6.9 with a 1/2.3 sensor...
Except for the monocular form factor, I don't get it. Maybe a specific IS giving 8 to 10 stop stabilization? Seems necessary for the targeted market and explain the "big" size?

Upvote 0

Chig

Birds in Flight Nutter
Jul 26, 2020
Orewa , New Zealand
Interesting concept, but wow...I just have problems imagining getting "that" excited about soccer games.
I've tried watching them, but ugh...boring.
You often seem to go MOST of the game time with no scoring...games can end in a tie??
And for some reason, the time of the time seems rather arbitrary....the games over...OOPS, nope, for some unexplained reason we're going to add what seems to be random amounts of time left to keep playing.

That last one I saw the first time I got remotely interested in it when the US got in there for one of the big tournaments for the first time, and it appeared they won...then for reasons no one could explain on the air when listening to it, they kept adding time till the US lost.

Anyway....I will put it at least one rung ahead of cricket as far as excitement and watchability....

Oh well, the rest of the world seems to like it, but I just don't get it.

I'm guessing this camera is being put out first in some part of the world that like soccer?

C
Better than all the weird American games :
Baseball - just a kids game played by grown ups in weird pants
American football - sissy version of rugby with weird pants and padded shirts and helmets and eyeliner make up
Basketball is a great sport though I have to admit (even with the strange oversized shorts ) and the only American sport played in lots of countries
Cricket is pretty boring to watch (though it’s quite fun to play on the beach)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bbasiaga

Canon Shooter
Nov 15, 2011
USA
Japanese value the opinions of those outside Japan more than those inside Japan. It also goes to show that the brand is internationally recognized. It's super prevalent in japan.

For instance, a lot of movies, actors, singers, and professional sportsmen see a HUGE spike in their popularity domestically if they receive any recognition abroad by winning a competition or receiving an award. Examples are Kimi no Na, Okuribito, Ichiro, Daisuke.

Canon also has a long history of testing new ideas in their home market only before releasing worldwide.
Very interesting. I know it is something cultural like that. My limited and painful experience with marketing is when I was in the food industry. And their mantra here in the USA was that people wanted to see people like themselves using the products. That's why we've seen diversity increase in advertising over the last generation. The previous generation (those that were parents when i was a kid in the 80s) valued seeing how it fit in to the typical American household (more correctly, the storybook view of the typical american household) - so it was always something like a bottle of ketchup on the dinner table next to mom, dad, and 2.5 kids, plus a dog.

I'm sure Japan has its own version of these same concepts over the years - what they value and why.

-Brian

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Better than all the weird American games :
Baseball - just a kids game played by grown ups in weird pants
American football - sissy version of rugby with weird pants and padded shirts and helmets and eyeliner make up
Basketball is a great sport though I have to admit (even with the strange oversized shorts ) and the only American sport played in lots of countries
Cricket is pretty boring to watch (though it’s quite fun to play on the beach)
All are boring to watch unless you have a kid playing. :sleep:

Upvote 0

Billybob

800mm f/11 because a cellphone isn't long enough!
May 22, 2016
Why is that any better than the existing powershots with greater optical range, equivalent price and foot print?
The latest SX740 HS got a 24-960 equiv. F/3.3-6.9 with a 1/2.3 sensor...
Except for the monocular form factor, I don't get it. Maybe a specific IS giving 8 to 10 stop stabilization? Seems necessary for the targeted market and explain the "big" size?
Equivalent foot print??? I looked at the SX740. It doesn't look pocketable to me (unless, you're wearing a huge overcoat). This new camera will fit into the pocket of your skinny jeans. I've been looking for a pocketable camera forever that is more capable and flexible than a cellphone. This camera plus my cellphone--never thought that the solution would be to carry two cameras all the time--will give me wide-angle to extreme telephoto coverage all the time.

I never in my wildest dreams thought that staid-old-super-conservative Canon would become the next innovation king, but it looks like they have.

I just calculated it with the specifications given, you have a crop factor of 7.2. That means that the FF equivalent apature is f40-f45:LOL:. I think I know why they didnt market it as such haha

Equivalence again!??! What this means is that there will be huge DOF (no need to focus) with lots of noise reduction applied. If the NR is not too over the top, or better yet, with a few NR level options, it should still be good.

Upvote 0
Aug 22, 2020
Love this, just take it on hikes to be able to check all the various animals. :D

@ sports:
To all the people that think it is fine to insult entire nations and cultures over their sports: Why? What does it give you? What does this say about your personal maturity and culture? I am speechless at what the internet unearths, every day....

PS: Sarcasm does not fly over the internet and text.....

Upvote 0

AJ

Sep 11, 2010
Canada
Ship ahoy, matey!

pirates-telescope-590x350-300x178.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 26, 2011
Interesting concept, but wow...I just have problems imagining getting "that" excited about soccer games.
I've tried watching them, but ugh...boring.
You often seem to go MOST of the game time with no scoring...games can end in a tie??
And for some reason, the time of the time seems rather arbitrary....the games over...OOPS, nope, for some unexplained reason we're going to add what seems to be random amounts of time left to keep playing.

That last one I saw the first time I got remotely interested in it when the US got in there for one of the big tournaments for the first time, and it appeared they won...then for reasons no one could explain on the air when listening to it, they kept adding time till the US lost.

Anyway....I will put it at least one rung ahead of cricket as far as excitement and watchability....

Oh well, the rest of the world seems to like it, but I just don't get it.

I'm guessing this camera is being put out first in some part of the world that like soccer?

C
Why bother writing a big rant about something which just a personal opinion? That’s like saying “I can’t understand how people like burgers“. To each their own. I’m sure this camera would lend itself to any sport, pick your favorite...

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
I've never seen "Lost in Translation" but look like an interesting movie to check out. Thank you!
On the Europe-USA part, I can relate 100%!! :D This is so true!
I saw it in a theater when it first was around and enjoyed it. I don't think there were many people in the theater.

A couple years back a friend from college days was visiting, and he mentioned that he'd like to watch the movie some time. I told him I thought he might like it. On a free evening I checked my streaming sources and found I needed to pay Apple a few bucks, so I did. Watching it with him was a different experience. I got more out of the movie because I had seen it before, and he thought it was so funny in places that the laughter was contagious. So now I remember the movie more fondly than I did originally.

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
When I retired and moved here, I got a season ticket to all the sports at the college. I like basketball more than other sports, both as a spectator and in years gone by playing it (though never on a real team). Soccer season started first, and I made it to most home games. Toward the end of the season there were cold, drizzly nights when the game is in overtime and I'm just hoping someone will go ahead and score. I didn't care which side by then. I enjoyed the games more when I sat with knowledgeable fans, but then that's true of most sports.

I enjoy going to (US) football games, but don't care for it on TV. It seems like three hours of commercials punctuated by people standing around.

Upvote 0