Canon USA officially responds to concerns about shipping delays of the Canon EOS R5

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
This is PR speak for “there are problems with getting the second batch out quickly”. If it was coronavirus related they’d have said so. If they had good news to share, they’d have said so. A recall seems likely to me.
Or just that there had been a certain amount of press on the issue, so they responded by confirming the first batch had actually gone out, and (yes - marketing speak) that there was no update on the non-confirmation of dates for the next batches. It gives precisely no clues about any 'recall'.

Upvote 0

PUG

F1N 80D R5
Mar 9, 2020
R5 owners: does anyone know how to turn the live view off? The best I figured out was to turn off touchscreen and also enable ECO mode. This will ensure the live view isn't hunting af/draining battery and turns off within 10 secs of taking a pic. I much rather have a dedicated custom manual on/off button though. I'll look into the manual again but if anyone knows a shortcut, I'd appreciate the tip.

**Also there is an option to just use the viewfinder, however if I want to review an image, I have to look into the viewfinder and operate the menu from there, not ideal but I guess if this is the solution, so be it, just a different change coming from a DSLR. The live view does drain the battery quite a bit.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
They literally said nothing here...everyone knows the first batch of the R5 shipped and people have them, I'm just not sure what the point of this statement is.
Pay attention ...

The statement is about orders, plural. not merely "batch" singular as you further interjected. That's how false information spreads.

Upvote 0

ashmadux

Art Director, Visual Artist, Freelance Photography
Jul 28, 2011
New Yawk
photography.ashworld.com
Well, it's a long weekend, so it's the best time to release a statement that may not be received favorably or with confusion.

Wasnt this started by that very friendly, kind eoshd dude? He just threw it out on his twitter earlier in the week and other sites smelled blood. Now we know he was full of it. His sources...yeah right

Upvote 0

ashmadux

Art Director, Visual Artist, Freelance Photography
Jul 28, 2011
New Yawk
photography.ashworld.com
How's that ideal? A potential recall would mean you send the camera to Canon and they fix it. It may not mean you can just get the money back. In the end you'll just spend a couple of weeks without the camera.

There is no recall.

EOSHD guy made it up, started the rumor. end of story.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
My retailer Samys camera the largest pro retailer in Los Angeles and San Francisco did not get enough bodies to fill all the pre orders but they told me they expect more in the next 2 weeks not September or November. I would suspect that canon is shipping them out the door as they come off the line if they already knew they were going to recall it why would they even ship them? That just doesn’t make sense to be it would just had a level of expensive complexity to a process, that would not outweigh the short term or issue

Upvote 0
There is no recall.

EOSHD guy made it up, started the rumor. end of story.

That's what I was saying, most likely there's no recall, just a manufacturing delay. But any chance the recall happens, it won't be beneficial to anyone, that was the point.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I eagerly await the recall. Meanwhile, I'm gonna trash the R5 I have in my hands now so i can get a brand new one down the line :)

People think "recall" = "I return the camera and get money back" or "I get a new camera". While it may be the case, it's a very unlikely scenario. If (and only if) the recall happens, they'll take your camera and install something like an upgraded heatsink (or whatever they do internally), and you get your trashed and dented camera back exactly like it was, only with a new heatsink inside.

Upvote 0
Is todays cameras firmware too complicated to handle it? If I look into the manuals of R6 (and R5) I see ~900 pages of explanations with a lot of boxes which explain exceptions and sideeffects of different settings.
I have deep respect for those who develop the software, the related hardware and those who write/check/rewrite these manuals.
There are good reasons that todays products like cameras (or electric cars) need some time to ripe in the hands of users. On the other hand most products are very usable and useful in the hands of those who use tham as tools.

While beeing more interested in the R6, I wish all early adopters of R5 a lot of fun and good results in terms of image IQ (technical + artistic) ... and I hope that Canon will survive the economical and viral crisis of these years!

Upvote 0

nikkito

Argentine Photojournalist
I wonder how many of the canon "fans" who complain all the time about the technical stuff and specifications have actually made their living by taking photos.
Real life is different! Photography is not about specifications.
The internet forums may be fun sometimes, but usually they're full of bitter people who like to complain.

Nicolas

www.nicolaszonvi.com

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

Shivu

70D
Sep 2, 2019
India
I am afraid the rumos are getting ugly.
How can one expect a company to share internal decisions. Wheter or not Canon is planning to recall, they would release that info through right channel. They are not going to say 'Oh yes your rumor is right'.

If I am not wrong, isn't CPS and support one of the best in the field. If so, wouldn't they help their customers if there has to be a recall.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 378221

I wonder how many of the canon "fans" who complain all the time about the technical stuff and specifications have actually made their living by taking photos.
I am a photographer and video creator by trade. This is my sole income.

Real life is different! Photography is not about specifications.
Well, it depends on how demanding your subjects are. Do you shoot sports, lowlight, for billboards, anything that requires premium AF. It's not as black and white as "specs don't matter".
It's way too easy to dismiss criticism as "the pros don't care". I'm a professional photographer, and I do care because some features make my job easier, and some make it even possible at all.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
three pages to decipher a single simple message:

we need as many as possible "real life" photos taken with your R5 and usability reviews posted all over internet to take out the negativity surrounding the launch of R5 and R6. We need your help in order to mitigate overreacting markets..

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 378221

we need as many as possible "real life" photos taken with your R5 and usability reviews posted all over internet to take out the negativity surrounding the launch of R5 and R6. We need your help in order to mitigate overreacting markets..
Well, theres a ton of people taking and posting photos with the R5 right now. That part seems to work exceptionally fine, while the video part doesn't as much. So how about you start looking at pictures while the people hoping for better video functionality keep checking whether Canon has a fix planned. :)

Upvote 0