Canon USA refurb sale, Canon EOS R5 down to $2999, EOS R6 $1299 & EOS RP $599

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Canon USA has certainly been aggressive with pricing recently, and that continues with their refurbished products. The Canon EOS R5 body is down to $2999! Remember, all Canon USA refurbished gear comes with a full 1-year Canon USA warranty. Canon EOS R Bodies Canon RF Lenses Those are the best deals that are currently live

See full article...

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
The refurbished RF100-400 is a steal right now at $379.99 plus free shipping. It's tempting enough to pick up a second one as a backup...
Thanks for mentioning it, I thought I had posted it. You are correct, it's an absolute steal at that price. I have actually enjoyed using it on an R50, and I paid a fair bit more.

Upvote 0
I hope for the sale to continue... I'm currently not state-side, but I love to snatch up the 85mm F2 for that price :)

Another option to consider is the older and used EF 85 f/1.2L II, I got one for under $800, on my R6 I get image stabilization, AF feels as good as any RF 1.8 prime (which is not that great but still), and you get that creamy f/1.2 bokeh that you can’t get with f/2.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

rbr

Sep 11, 2010
Hi, the Canon EOS R5 is USD 2999. Great. Question: how many shoot count I will get with it? I understand I am cover with Canon warranty, but I would NOT buy a used R5 with more than 10K shoots ( I want to buy a nearly new camera).
I have purchased several reburbished DSLR's directly from Canon over the years. All were like new and had maybe several hundred frames on them, not thousands. I wouldn't worry about the shutter counts.

I wonder when the R7 will start being offered as a refurb. I'm curious to check it out, but not curious enough to spend the full retail price on a camera that I probably wouldn't use for anything too serious.

Upvote 0
I was mildly tempted by the RF 100/2.8 Macro. Really haven't planned on buying one, but selling the EF version means a net cost of $300 for the refurb (but $500 if I get the tripod ring). Only mildly tempted, though.
Free advice and it may be worth what you paid for it. : ) I've had the EF version and have the RF version. As you know the are incredibly lightweight. So you don't need the collar unless you need to rotate the camera, which of course is very helpful. But you certainly don't need it for support as it's not going to stress the bayonet mount on the body at all. It's not nearly as nice looking, but Vello has one for $50.
Other point: the Control Ring is very helpful. I would argue it's worth the investment to have that feature. I always recommend the EF to RF adapter WITH the Control Ring when friends ask which one to buy. Being able to assign whatever custom function to that ring could make using the lens more pleasant, more productive. Change ISO settings, color balance, whatever you assign to it. I would be really cool if you could assign focus stacking to the Control Ring to shift focus by a set number of millimeters per click, but that's just me wishing for a feature that I don't think is assignable. And lastly, it's max magnification is 1.4X which might be another justification to make the swap.

Upvote 0
I have purchased several reburbished DSLR's directly from Canon over the years. All were like new and had maybe several hundred frames on them, not thousands. I wouldn't worry about the shutter counts.

I wonder when the R7 will start being offered as a refurb. I'm curious to check it out, but not curious enough to spend the full retail price on a camera that I probably wouldn't use for anything too serious.
Agree. The refurb bodies I have purchased have been in mint condition. I suspect Canon may also reduce warehouse inventories by selling new cameras as "refurbished" especially when a model has been discontinued or a newer version is on the horizon. My 1Dx Mark II was pristine and had <1000 actuations. Is was $3000 and then shortly afterwards B&H and others starting selling their new ones in stock for that price. Could be totally coincidental but I think it was related. I think they were liquidating new cameras that were discontinued. And think of all the R5's that were returned early on because of over-heating issues. In other words: all those were barely used and they were being used for video more than likely, and not still shots where there would be more wear-and-tear on the shutter mechanism. Probably VERY low shutter counts. I bet they had TONS of them returned and those sat on they shelves until now. They aren't going to immediately refurb them and sell them. Just like Apple sits on iPhone or laptops for a few months before they offer them for sale. It's a marketing thing. It looks bad if within weeks or a few months of introducing a new model that start selling refurbs. Gives the image that quality control sucks or people don't like the new model, which may or may not be true. Better to sell "new" ones at full price and sit on the returns for a while, then dump them when demand tapers off later.
I don't need one, but at that price I'm thinking about getting one myself. For $3000 and the firmware fixing the overheating problem it's almost a no-brainer. Sure, the R5 Mark II will have improvements and maybe new features, but it will also probably be closer to $4000. Although... B&H is selling them for $3500 with a "free" battery grip so that's also tempting because you know it will be truly new/unused and it a normal black box versus the brown cardboard refurb box which may help the resale value should you decide to sell it later.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

danfaz

Coffee Fiend
Jul 14, 2015
www.1fineklick.com
Hi, the Canon EOS R5 is USD 2999. Great. Question: how many shoot count I will get with it? I understand I am cover with Canon warranty, but I would NOT buy a used R5 with more than 10K shoots ( I want to buy a nearly new camera).
I don't think you can get any guarantee on shot count, but these aren't beat up cameras that Canon is reselling:

"Products are returned to Canon for a variety of reasons, including overstock balancing, miscellaneous returns from retailers, suspected mis-operation, and minor damage to the box. The products that are serviced have undergone rigorous function and cosmetic inspections by trained Canon technicians and fully meet new product operational specifications and selected cosmetic standards established by Canon U.S.A. Inc. These refurbished products must pass a comprehensive quality assurance inspection before final packaging and shipment to customers."

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Free advice and it may be worth what you paid for it. : ) I've had the EF version and have the RF version. As you know the are incredibly lightweight. So you don't need the collar unless you need to rotate the camera, which of course is very helpful. But you certainly don't need it for support as it's not going to stress the bayonet mount on the body at all. It's not nearly as nice looking, but Vello has one for $50.
Thanks! I use the tripod ring for camera rotation in ‘fixed’ setups, macro rail and/or the twin light when the heads are attached to the lens plate with Wimberly F-2 brackets. I have L-plates (modular for the R3 and R8, but if I’m bringing a tripod I attach the upright bracket).

If I get the RF 100, I’ll look at the Vello ring. But I doubt I’ll get the lens, the EF does great.

Other point: the Control Ring is very helpful. I would argue it's worth the investment to have that feature. I always recommend the EF to RF adapter WITH the Control Ring when friends ask which one to buy. Being able to assign whatever custom function to that ring could make using the lens more pleasant, more productive. Change ISO settings, color balance, whatever you assign to it. I would be really cool if you could assign focus stacking to the Control Ring to shift focus by a set number of millimeters per click, but that's just me wishing for a feature that I don't think is assignable.
I have the control ring set to ISO, and honestly that’s usually on Auto. My macro shooting typically doesn’t require rapid changes. I don’t have the control ring adapter, I do have the vanilla one, the drop-in filter version (with CPL and vND which are very useful behind the TS-E 17 and EF 11-24/4, and the clear insert if no filter is needed). I also have a 3rd party adapter (Commlite) that I ground down to stack RF extenders behind EF extenders with my EF 600/4 II. Three adapters is probably enough. ;)

And lastly, its max magnification is 1.4X which might be another justification to make the swap.
When I need higher than 1x, I use my MP-E 65. That goes to 10x with the 2xIII TC, and if I need even more for some reason, I have an EF mount adapter setup as an eyepiece adapter for my Zeiss Stemi DV4 stereomicroscope that covers 8-32x. Outside of the hobby realm, I have microscope systems in the lab up to superresolution (optical microscopy that resolves beyond the Abbe wavelength limitation). So I’ve got all the magnification I need. :geek:

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
Refurbished is not used.
There will be fewer than 1,000 shots.

Upvote 0
Is this further evidence that there is an R5 II coming ... besides B and H lower price ... Perhaps just an business as usual thing but Im a bit curious .

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Is this further evidence that there is an R5 II coming ... besides B and H lower price ... Perhaps just a business as usual thing but Im a bit curious .
Could be that they feel they need to differentiate themselves from the Nikon Z8 and pricing the R5 aggressively will help it stand up for longer.

Upvote 0