Canon will announce more lenses at one time than ever before in the 2nd half of 2021 [CR2]

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
If the camera is the EOS-1R then the lenses will be chock full of pro L lenses. If its the APS-C then look for a bunch of low quality stuff. My money is on the flagship.
Low quality stuff eh? Seems I recall most 7D series shooters using the same high quality glass as the FF crowd. Maybe you are surrounded with a different socio-economic group than me.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Please no more drinking straw supertele zooms.
300 f/2.8 IS
500 f/4 IS
200-600 f/4.5-6.3 IS
800 f/8 DO IS
150 f/2.8 macro IS
135 f/2 IS
20-35 f/2
55 f/1.4
12-24 f/4
16-35 f/4 IS
16 f/1.8
100 f/1.8 IS
Besides the 55mm in your list, I would expect all of them to be L lenses and quite expensive to very expensive.
Some are more likely than others but it it hard to imagine that Canon would release a 200-600mm after the recent 100-500mm. The volume of >100mm macro lenses sold would have to be very small compared to ~100mm but Canon would know best.
A 16mm/1.8 could be interesting if is designed for astro/coma but Canon has not released any wide angle astro lenses in the past. Their 14mm/2.8L II hasn't changed price in 14 years and wasn't inspiring for coma.

Upvote 0
Having owned the superb EF11-24 f4 since it came out I believe the market for wider than 14 and faster than f4 is microscopically small and will simply not happen.
The only use-case I can see would be be wide angle astro-landscapes/aurora. Hard to beat the Samyang 14mm/2.8 or 2.4 or Sigma 14mm/1.8 if you really need the extra 1.5 stops (or stop it down for better sharpness) or maybe the Laowa 15mm/2. Videoing aurora would ideally use the Sigma otherwise very high ISO would be par for the course. Autofocus is not a priority for astro but Canon would need to include it.
The closest that Canon ever made was the 14 year old 14mm/2.8 II which hasn't changed in price and wasn't particularly good for astro. My 8-15mm/4 is the only other choice for something different. Rare to ever see it second hand... I don't think that it sells well.

Upvote 0
Though not on the predicted roadmap, I'd love a 24-70 F4L IS. The EF version used to be my go-to lens. Then I got a 16-35 F4L IS and love the improvement in sharpness. I can imagine an RF version of the 24-70 would be small, light and sharp.

Incidentally, it wasn't until I got my R5 that I realized how big a difference in sharpness there is between the 24-70 and 16-35 F4L. One of the very few downsides to the R5 purchase...

Upvote 0

rbr

Sep 11, 2010
F
Though not on the predicted roadmap, I'd love a 24-70 F4L IS. The EF version used to be my go-to lens. Then I got a 16-35 F4L IS and love the improvement in sharpness. I can imagine an RF version of the 24-70 would be small, light and sharp.

Incidentally, it wasn't until I got my R5 that I realized how big a difference in sharpness there is between the 24-70 and 16-35 F4L. One of the very few downsides to the R5 purchase...

For me it was the other way around. My 24-70 f4L IS does very well on the R5. I find the 16-35f4 L IS to be terrible on the R5, especially in the corners at the wide end. The field curvature at the 35mm end of that lens has always been a frustration. The 14 L II is even worse on the R5 and I already sold it. For now I'm using the Sigma 14-24 with the 24-70 on the R5. I have already sold the 14mm, but I doubt I will ever use the 16-35 again since the Sigma blows it off the map.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
How Canon can improve on the f/2.8 300mm IS USM II is beyond me. For fast action hand held sports, it is possibly the best in the world
Well they can make it in native RF mount and shave a few grams off it for a start, the IS will be better and work with the IBIS in the bodies too. I suspect the AF will be faster as well considering it will be able to maximize the RF mount pin protocols to the maximum.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Swerky

G1X Mark III
Sep 3, 2020
"massive splash". This means a high end R camera. Not interested. As for the affordable lenses on the roadmap, this 18-45 f4-5.6 is kinda limited. At 45 only useful in good light and 18 is at the limit of ultra wide angle for today's standard. Better have two primes, an 18mm f3.5, and a 40 or 45mm f2.8, similar to the EF pancake.

Upvote 0

puffo25

EOS R5 - Fine art landscape, travel,astro and pano
Jul 18, 2017
italy
I imagine the fish-eye is one of their lowest volume lenses so it might not be high on the priority list. I would only see it coming sooner if they could make it a statement lens with something new or extraordinary (faster aperture)?

In the meantime, my existing EF 8-15 and EF 11-24 seem to do quite well on my R6 along with my existing D bodies. Not sure I will have too much incentive to upgrade. If I didn't have one already, I might be waiting to see what Canon offers.
Are you extremly pleased with the EF 8-15?

Upvote 0
ahh, the photographer's wet dream, a super zoom with an f2.8 aperture, while at the same time the lens is light and costs nothing. Well such a lens would bring me back to canon. offcourse the lens needs to be sharp across the frame in the whole zoom range and have no vignett at all.
I am hoping for a 300mm f/2.8, this might put sony under some pressure to make a 2.8/300 for their e-mount.

Upvote 0
Some are more likely than others but it it hard to imagine that Canon would release a 200-600mm after the recent 100-500mm.
I don't believe in the 200-600mm lense as a direct counter offer to Sony or Nikons offering. But since there are several 250-700mm or similar patents I can imagine Canon bringing out a lense very much like this. It would have a distinctly different selling point compared to the 100-500mm and it would top Nikon and Sonys offering. They would figuratively kill two birds with one stone, much to every birders liking :)

Imho, a 250-750mm three times zoom would be awesome, even if it is not an L lense. (I remember one Canon exec stating in an interview it would be very hard to achieve L quality on such a lense).

Upvote 0
Mar 17, 2020
Still hoping for some lightweight L primes, especially wide angles.
And I don't see the coming RF 1,4/135 as a replacement for the EF 135, it will be extremely expensive, heavy and bulky. So, the risk is customers getting Sigmas or Zeiss instead.
I certainly do not question the validity of the RF 135 concept, but doubt it will be as successful as the EF f 2 /135 L.
Many new RF lenses have been developed mostly for pros, who, doubtlessly need them. Yet, other less demanding and fortunate customers shouldn't be forgotten. There still is a market between professional and beginner. Till now, I could afford most L lenses, but I'd hate having to resort in the future to non-wheathersealed STM lenses. I can't presently afford the RF 1,2/50, but do not want to buy the RF 1,8/50, for mechanical and optical reasons.
Third party will be your salvation then.

Upvote 0