Canon will introduce new tilt-shift lenses with a high-megapixel camera [CR2]

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
I don't agree. Using a tripod...the first thing you do with a shift movement is compose, meter (in Manual) and then focus. Then you shift the font element. The plane of focus stays the same. With tilt, you focus...then tilt, then re-focus and often then tilt a bit more and re-focus until your OCD gets a complete work out.
I've never had any issues with the corner sharpness of a TS-e 17L unshifted and it's not a lens that generally gets used wide open when shifted. It's designed for architecture and that generally needs stopping down for DOF.
You're certainly right as to tilting, I never use this function, and, sacrilege?, never use tripods.I'm not into architecture, but in city "tourism"... Nevertheless, corner sharpness, compared to the TSE 24 II or even EF 14mm II,could benefit from some improvement. The corners are certainly sharp, but I'm convinced, looking at the latest TSE 50, 90 and 135, and Nikon 19mm TS, that corner sharpness could be improved.

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2014
I remember some folks (not on this forum) saying that the resolution of the original 5D is allready more than enough and that 1Ds mk II is an overkill and that they won't buy a 5D Mk II if it comes with a sensor over 16MP because it's gonna produce images with way too much noise and lousy IQ.

In a few years 100MP will be considered normal resolution and we are going to read rumors about a "high resolution" Canon camera, probably over 200MP.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

digigal

Traveling the world one step at a time.
CR Pro
Aug 26, 2014
AF will be interesting, as well as how they implement the interface to control it with tilt.

In teaching people the use of tilt and shift, the concept consistently most difficult for even experienced photographers to 'get' is that with tilt the distance scale no longer has a defined meaning with respect to distances. Whereas with shift, you can focus and then add shift -or the other way round. The positioning of the tilted focus plane is dependent on both tilt angle and the setting of the focus ring together. This interaction seems more conceptually difficult, leading to people just randomly changing tilt after focusing or adding tilt and focusing to 'see what happens' Whilst it can work, there is all too often no deeper understanding, making it difficult to repeat effects or apply them consistently in different settings.

Two RF T/S lenses and a body... not cheap. I need more paying work and more people to buy my tilt/shift book ;-)

This from a 2019 patent application
View attachment 197428

from http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/canon-ef-lenses-rumours-and-news/
Just ordered the book--too bad the shipping to the US is almost as much as the book! :ROFLMAO: Looking forward to learning more about these lenses. May rent one some day to play around with.
Catherine

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2019
Shouldn't they be called TS-RF?
It seems that the reason for the TS-E name (instead of TS-EF) was the "special" feature of lacking autofocus.

Another nomenclature could be including the feature in the regular name (e.g. Canon RF 14mm f/4L TS USM)
I think you're right because the MP-E 65mm f2.8 1-5x macro lens uses the same designation. It is also manual focus. Even though I've owned this lens for at least 13 years, I'd never thought about this before. But it does make sense, and would explain the E suffix on the tilt-shift lenses.

Upvote 0
I did buy my printer, the Pro-2000, and few other bits and pieces through your affiliate links so I’m trying! :)
Appreciated!
I do have a 'proper' job tomorrow where I'll take a TS-E24, 1.4xIII, TS-E17 and 5Ds with me. Things are picking up a bit!

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I think you're right because the MP-E 65mm f2.8 1-5x macro lens uses the same designation. It is also manual focus. Even though I've owned this lens for at least 13 years, I'd never thought about this before. But it does make sense, and would explain the E suffix on the tilt-shift lenses.
The -E on the tilt shift (TS) and macro photo (MP) lenses designates electronic, for the electronic aperture. EF = electro focus.

Upvote 0
I am interested in buying a T/S lens for the RF mount, but am undecided on which focal length although I am leaning towards the 24 mm focal length.
The T/S focal length you need will ever be the one you don't have. Slippery slope, my friend.

PS: If we get servos moving the tilt for us, as is mentioned in the patent, it's going to be a cute little bugger that'll appear to be tilting its head back and forth. Inevitably, it'll earn a name. Let me be the first to put one out a suggestion to the Naming Committee that is this board: Ritchie.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
Generally that isn’t how vendor stocking works. Distributors, which in this case is the importer and manufacturer, offer terms. The retailer doesn’t buy the item and then put it on their shelf.
We're talking about E-commerce. No shelf. Canon USA does not sell it's prosumer cameras, lenses, or Cine equipment via a "Distributor". Buyer, Seller, Shipping, Warehouse management. For e-commerce. (preorders and first come first serve selling e-commerce is NOT brick and mortar). Period. it is precisely how automated inventory (WMS) and warehousing (ASRS) works in large vendor warehousing. With Incoterms rules being the standard for shipping and delivery, NOT the old "brick and mortar" chain methodoloy that you are familiar and refering to. Consumer purchases directly from the warehouse inventory via online e-commerce. Automated warehousing (WMS) has become a staple for mass inventory in North America. The seller may or not be responsible for the purchaser's "Distributor" beyond the point of deliver determined by the Incoterm coding. The number purchased and WMS has nada to do with the shipping/distribution. Warehousing and Inventory management are the growth drivers of e-commerce.
A familiarization with the Incoterms rules may help you differentiate before assuming incorrectly any similarity.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

canonmike

EOS R6
CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
It's fun to see history repeat (or at least rhyme) on this forum. Anyone else remember the good old days of some begging for a "high megapixel monster" and the debates of whether it was necessary or overkill? Then the 5DS and 5DSR came out with 50MP. Canon listened (though didn't get much credit from some forum dwellers). Now we have a prosumer R5 shooting 45MP at up to 20FPS with vastly better dynamic range, low light performance and incredible eye-detect AF...and we're once again looking forward in anticipation of a "high megapixel" body -- the goal posts have just shifted to 80-100MP now. :p
I like your commentary but it's human nature to always want more. You know the dialogue, "Now, what have you done for us today, Canon?' More, more, more......

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
We're talking about E-commerce. No shelf. Canon USA does not sell it's prosumer cameras, lenses, or Cine equipment via a "Distributor". Buyer, Seller, Shipping, Warehouse management. For e-commerce. (preorders and first come first serve selling e-commerce is NOT brick and mortar). Period. it is precisely how automated inventory (WMS) and warehousing (ASRS) works in large vendor warehousing. With Incoterms rules being the standard for shipping and delivery, NOT the old "brick and mortar" chain methodoloy that you are familiar and refering to. Consumer purchases directly from the warehouse inventory via online e-commerce. Automated warehousing (WMS) has become a staple for mass inventory in North America. The seller may or not be responsible for the purchaser's "Distributor" beyond the point of deliver determined by the Incoterm coding. The number purchased and WMS has nada to do with the shipping/distribution. Warehousing and Inventory management are the growth drivers of e-commerce.
A familiarization with the Incoterms rules may help you differentiate before assuming incorrectly any similarity.

If you are an authorized Canon retailer in the USA you get all your stock through Canon USA, a wholly owned subsidiary of Canon Japan. Canon USA are the sole importer and distributor of all authorized Canon equipment imported into the USA and Canada (because Canon USA wholly own Canon Canada). An authorized retailer cannot purchase Canon equipment without going through Canon USA. All authorized retailers have stock allowances that are on terms, that is, if they agree to take x number of units they get them at y price per unit to be paid for at a point in the future. The bigger x is the lower y is, to a point. All authorized Canon retailers have to take an allowance of relatively niche products to fulfill their authorized status which is why you sometimes get a deal on a niche lens in person or via CPW at a mom and pop store, they want to sell it before they have to pay for it. When items are in short supply Canon alone dictate the distribution to the various retailers. Retailers don’t pay for stock up front, neither brick and mortar nor online retailers. They all agree terms, well actually Canon USA specifies the terms of payment but it always has an element of credit to it.

Further, Canon USA do not ‘drop ship’ and neither do Canon Japan, if you buy a camera from Amazon, or any other online retailer, it comes from an Amazon warehouse not a Canon USA warehouse.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
The idea that autofocus for TS lenses is a great feature is nearly idiotic unless the autofocus they employ takes into account the changes in the plane of focus manipulation afforded by these lenses. The use of TS lenses requires a slow and careful tuning of the tilting “front standard”. To make the new models AF lenses, just for non-tilt use, is senseless overkill, and the careful process of tilting and shifting a lens clearly invites manual focus.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
If you are an authorized Canon retailer in the USA you get all your stock through Canon USA, a wholly owned subsidiary of Canon Japan. Canon USA are the sole importer and distributor of all authorized Canon equipment imported into the USA and Canada (because Canon USA wholly own Canon Canada). An authorized retailer cannot purchase Canon equipment without going through Canon USA. All authorized retailers have stock allowances that are on terms, that is, if they agree to take x number of units they get them at y price per unit to be paid for at a point in the future. The bigger x is the lower y is, to a point. All authorized Canon retailers have to take an allowance of relatively niche products to fulfill their authorized status which is why you sometimes get a deal on a niche lens in person or via CPW at a mom and pop store, they want to sell it before they have to pay for it. When items are in short supply Canon alone dictate the distribution to the various retailers. Retailers don’t pay for stock up front, neither brick and mortar nor online retailers. They all agree terms, well actually Canon USA specifies the terms of payment but it always has an element of credit to it.
I like the way Mr. Jam says two conflicting things, "There is inventory that retailers have to pay for. Oh wait, that's not true? Okay then, it's all e-commerce and no one warehouses their own inventory."

None of this, of course, is relevant to my original comment which he felt compelled to respond to, as I was simply commenting on Canon's inability to deliver the products they have already released.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
The idea that autofocus for TS lenses is a great feature is nearly idiotic unless the autofocus they employ takes into account the changes in the plane of focus manipulation afforded by these lenses. The use of TS lenses requires a slow and careful tuning of the tilting “front standard”. To make the new models AF lenses, just for non-tilt use, is senseless overkill, and the careful process of tilting and shifting a lens clearly invites manual focus.
AF would make these new TS lenses more practical when used as a ‘normal’ lens and therefore more attractive to a wider audience.

Upvote 0