Canon will soon announce the Canon EOS R8 and Canon EOS R50 along with two new kit lenses

I'm happy to hear that the R8 is an entry level Full-Frame and I'll be looking into it further.

For the R50, the Canon RF-S 18-45 f/4.5-6.3 IS STM & and especially the Canon RF-S 55-210mm f/5-7.1 IS STM seem a bit lacking in my opinion compared to the entry level EF/EF-S generation, but I guess that's the price you pay for lighter weight and smaller size and that must be what the majority of the market wants these days. I wonder why they didn't convert the EF-M 55-200mm f/4.5-6.3 IS STM instead? I'm glad I got into photography in the DSLR Canon 700D days with the EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM and Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
The cameras sound great. The lenses sound awful.
Exactly. Without a proper lens, APC cameras are awful as well. This R50 is going to flop again. R8 may shine due to the full frame issue but due to expensive lenses, people from middle-income countries will never be interested. Most people want good lenses within a budget. The 35mm 1.8 and 24mm 1.8 must be under 300-320 USD.

The R50 has no such fast lens at all. And Canon's low light performance is always lower than SONY. The kit lens of Canon must start from F3.5 at least.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Exactly. Without a proper lens, APC cameras are awful as well. This R50 is going to flop again. R8 may shine due to the full frame issue but due to expensive lenses, people from middle-income countries will never be interested. Most people want good lenses within a budget. The 35mm 1.8 and 24mm 1.8 must be under 300-320 USD.

The R50 has no such fast lens at all. And Canon's low light performance is always lower than SONY. The kit lens of Canon must start from F3.5 at least.
Lots of people on this forum have been stating things that Canon ‘must’ do for years, which differ from what Canon actually has done. Yet somehow, Canon continues to dominate the market. That indicates pretty clearly that Canon knows very well what to do. Still, people persist in the belief that they know more about making and selling cameras than the company which has led the market for two decades. I suppose that if people want to make themselves look foolish, that’s their prerogative.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Lots of people on this forum have been stating things that Canon ‘must’ do for years, which differ from what Canon actually has done. Yet somehow, Canon continues to dominate the market. That indicates pretty clearly that Canon knows very well what to do. Still, people persist in the belief that they know more about making and selling cameras than the company which has led the market for two decades. I suppose that if people want to make themselves look foolish, that’s their prerogative.
Maybe. But the truth is Canon force people to invest more. Canon is number one. Lots of people are used to it, they use this behavior. But it will not last long. Maybe some people are foolish but the number of some foolish people is increasing.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

dcm

Enjoy the gear you have!
CR Pro
Apr 18, 2013
Colorado, USA
I'm happy to hear that the R8 is an entry level Full-Frame and I'll be looking into it further.

For the R50, the Canon RF-S 18-45 f/4.5-6.3 IS STM & and especially the Canon RF-S 55-210mm f/5-7.1 IS STM seem a bit lacking in my opinion compared to the entry level EF/EF-S generation, but I guess that's the price you pay for lighter weight and smaller size and that must be what the majority of the market wants these days. I wonder why they didn't convert the EF-M 55-200mm f/4.5-6.3 IS STM instead? I'm glad I got into photography in the DSLR Canon 700D days with the EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM and Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II.
The EF-M 55-200 might be the poorest and least used lens in my EF-M collection. Maybe they chose to improve on it.

Upvote 0
Flop again? Was there another R50??

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I check it with SONY ZV-10 and my M50. It was brighter footage in ZV-10 than M50 in F3.5 and ISO auto. M50 comes at 6400 ISO and ZV-10 was at 3200.
In another place, I kept it in my studio where I used 22m F2.0 (in my M50) with Singma 16mm 1.4 at ZV-10. But we keep the ZV-10 at 2.0. ISO was Auto----
M50 comes at 3200
ZV-10 was 2500.

It was my test and I do not know, why at the same aperture Canon always comes at a higher ISO that ZV-10.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
Apart from 55-200 EFM, I used EF-S-55-250 F4 to 5.6 IS STM, it is the best zoom lens ever made by Canon. Why Canon just focused on the RFS version of that lens?
Mirrorless lenses are a different optical design since the flange distance is so much shorter.
You are welcome to adapt any EF-S lens that you desire.

Upvote 0
I check it with SONY ZV-10 and my M50. It was brighter footage in ZV-10 than M50 in F3.5 and ISO auto. M50 comes at 6400 ISO and ZV-10 was at 3200.
In another place, I kept it in my studio where I used 22m F2.0 (in my M50) with Singma 16mm 1.4 at ZV-10. But we keep the ZV-10 at 2.0. ISO was Auto----
M50 comes at 3200
ZV-10 was 2500.

It was my test and I do not know, why at the same aperture Canon always comes at a higher ISO that ZV-10.
Oh I see, I thought you meant something else. My understanding is ISO speeds are not directly comparable between brands, the numbers are fairly arbitrary. Was it the same lens? It could be different T values if not.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Oh I see, I thought you meant something else. My understanding is ISO speeds are not directly comparable between brands, the numbers are fairly arbitrary. Was it the same lens? It could be different T values if not.
Yes, DxOmark has plots of measured vs manufacturers iso, and they do vary between brands.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Maybe. But the truth is Canon force people to invest more. Canon is number one. Lots of people are used to it, they use this behavior.
Canon isn’t forcing anyone to buy their gear, but clearly they continue to make products that a majority of photographers choose to buy.

But it will not last long. Maybe some people are foolish but the number of some foolish people is increasing.
Yes, that number has gone up by at least one.

Upvote 0

kmrahe

EOS M50 Mark II
Feb 2, 2023
The EF-M 55-200 might be the poorest and least used lens in my EF-M collection. Maybe they chose to improve on it.
It wants to be outdoors in good light, but I've gotten some fantastic shots with that lens over the eight months I've had it. It's a little soft if you shoot at the far end and do some major cropping, but that's not much to complain about given everything else it does. Maybe you got a less than perfect sample? As far as the new lenses paired with the R50, though, given the specs. I would have lower expectations of their performance vs. the ones I got with my M50.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2020
Everyone who does not like Canon's new dark zoom policy must be stupid. Yeah, got it. Be happy shooting with F8 zooms on APS-C.
Very happy doing so because it works quite well. Shooting with my 100-500 with 1.4 extender at f10 works very well also. I guess that is my point. People are doing so and getting excellent results. People who assume it can't be done don't understand that today's cameras - and today's noise reduction software - make it possible.

Upvote 0

davidespinosa

CR Pro
Feb 12, 2020
I used EF-S-55-250 F4 to 5.6 IS STM, it is the best zoom lens ever made by Canon.

On one hand, there are various jerks on this forum, and more sarcasm than is really necessary.
On the other hand, there are professional photographers with careers of 40+ years and collections of 40+ lenses.

Do you really the EF-S 55-250 is better than (for example) an RF 70-200 f/2.8L ?
Do you have the experience to support your claim ?

Upvote 0