Confirmed, a Canon EOS R5c is going to be announced this year [CR3]

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
1080p 120fps good for me

I'm primarily a stills person but when I'm playing tourist especially with zoo/wildlife I'll take the occasional short video; it's as interesting to be able to go back and watch the animals move as it is to see a still. (Certainly nothing professional-level here.) The capability to take "slow mo" without it being in 4K (which is overkill to me, never mind not wanting to have to buy a special card for it) is something I'm looking forward to.

Nevertheless there are some other enhancements I'd love to see, such as lifting apparently arbitrary restrictions on reassigning buttons.

Upvote 0

Rocksthaman

Eos R , R6 , R5
Jul 9, 2020
No. A fan makes a camera body fatter. I don't think most still photographers want a camera body that looks like the C70.
Fan aside most of the upgrades are software based and could have easily been in the R5.... I have never used 8k and don’t expect too, I do used the 4K HQ though.

if the sensor is the same, iQ is probably the same too. Taking away mini hdmi makes more sense now, the R5c will be a bigger “upgrade”.

the slap in the face is actually having a cinema camera c200, c300, c500.... then taking unlimited recording(even in 1080), Log profiles, 120 with sound, full HDMI, editable codecs and making them “cinema” features.... sounds like a GH5 to me .

Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
Fan aside most of the upgrades are software based and could have easily been in the R5.... I have never used 8k and don’t expect too, I do used the 4K HQ though.

if the sensor is the same, iQ is probably the same too. Taking away mini hdmi makes more sense now, the R5c will be a bigger “upgrade”.

the slap in the face is actually having a cinema camera c200, c300, c500.... then taking unlimited recording(even in 1080), Log profiles, 120 with sound, full HDMI, editable codecs and making them “cinema” features.... sounds like a GH5 to me .
What a car owner says the following year of a purchase. "A slap in the face". How stupid and silly. The video firmware task the processor which in turn writes to the card which causes excessive heat. Now that its well known and people willing to live with the limitations and the Cinema camera has also been released there's no downside. 8k is the Wow factor as well as all the ALL- I options. Like 180 mph on a speedometer. Not many people will ever use it. Canon forced the issue by setting the bar and limitations of a non active cooled device. Every high perfomance device with a processor and witing video to memory storage has a fan. Even the thinest of laptops and Surface Pro computers. Smartphone even overheat and have peltier coolers designed for them.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
All makes sense now. The R5 was built to a price that is a lot less than a Sony A1 (or the upcoming Nikon Z9).

This new variant will cost way more though, the previous rumour suggested ND filters, that probably sounds too good to be true, to keep it working as a "full-on" hybrid camera it will have the mechanical shutter and IBIS retained (just like the Sony FX3).

I wonder if they are going to "unlock" the 5.1k60P internal RAW recording in the 1.6x crop mode as well or keep it at 8K only, as it is just an artificial limitation on the R5, the 1DX III can handle it with the same processor and memory card interface. Although AF is disabled on the 1DX III in 5.5k60p or 4k60p FF mode, while DPAF is fully operational on the R6 in the almost FF 4k60p mode, maybe even Canon is getting confused about which camera can do this and that :)
The 1dx3 is huge and has a different . storage bus. 5k isn't a wow factor, nor is there a demand for it. Canon isnt confused, you are. You can probably count request for 5k video on one hand. The 1DX series cameras are designed and manufactured for the professional sports photographer. Video functions are simply added extras. Nothing more.

Upvote 0

Rocksthaman

Eos R , R6 , R5
Jul 9, 2020
What a car owner says the following year of a purchase. "A slap in the face". How stupid and silly. The video firmware task the processor which in turn writes to the card which causes excessive heat. Now that its well known and people willing to live with the limitations and the Cinema camera has also been released there's no downside. 8k is the Wow factor as well as all the ALL- I options. Like 180 mph on a speedometer. Not many people will ever use it. Canon forced the issue by setting the bar and limitations of a non active cooled device. Every high perfomance device with a processor and witing video to memory storage has a fan. Even the thinest of laptops and Surface Pro computers. Smartphone even overheat and have peltier coolers designed for them.
That’s the thing. I don’t care in the slightest about 8k. Most don’t.

I am primarily a stills shooter, but dont want to buy another body with a fan(that I don’t need)to have the options that aren’t related to the Fan, to have the creative options lesser priced cameras have. Of course like most of us, we are heavily invested in canon glass and bodies, but now to have an unlimited 1080 video I need a “cinema camera” ? Not only that but the same sensor and a like body that I just spent $4k+ ...idk seems foul.

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
That’s the thing. I don’t care in the slightest about 8k. Most don’t.

I am primarily a stills shooter, but dont want to buy another body with a fan(that I don’t need)to have the options that aren’t related to the Fan, to have the creative options lesser priced cameras have. Of course like most of us, we are heavily invested in canon glass and bodies, but now to have an unlimited 1080 video I need a “cinema camera” ? Not only that but the same sensor and a like body that I just spent $4k+ ...idk seems foul.
I care about 8k. A LOT. MANY do.

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
The 1dx3 is huge and has a different . storage bus. 5k isn't a wow factor, nor is there a demand for it. Canon isnt confused, you are. You can probably count request for 5k video on one hand. The 1DX series cameras are designed and manufactured for the professional sports photographer. Video functions are simply added extras. Nothing more.
Video functions are NOT simply added extras. Nope.

Upvote 0
Nice. This is exactly what all the videographers were asking for. We are willing to sacrifice some weather resistance for active cooling.

CLOG 2 is great news for dynamic range fans as well.
Doesn't every opening (battery compartment, card slot door, mic/headphone jacks, etc sacrifice some weather resistance? I don't see why they can't design the R5c to be weather sealed as good as it is now when shooting stills or video that doesn't require active cooling and then have either a manual or automatic way of opening vents only at times when active cooling is required.

Upvote 0

Rocksthaman

Eos R , R6 , R5
Jul 9, 2020
I’m not going to go back and forth on this one; but the outlets that you can view 8k footage is such a small percentage. The other end is the ability to crop, again a really small use case(we said the same thing about 4K to deliver in 1080).

8k just isn’t a option for 95% of people to view in and that is being very generous. It’s cute to show off but creatively it’s at the bottom of the list.

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
This is fair. That's why it's important to stratify products with variants that have different physical characteristics, price points, and features.

Especially as technology is new it is just impossible to satisfy everyone with one model, and the models with fewer folks expected to buy will invariably be priced higher.

I'm actually amazed at how versatile and jack if all trades R5 is, considering that it is only 2nd generation Canon mirrorless. It's perfect for me, and I suspect for many people who are looking for very different features than me.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
I’m not going to go back and forth on this one; but the outlets that you can view 8k footage is such a small percentage. The other end is the ability to crop, again a really small use case(we said the same thing about 4K to deliver in 1080).

8k just isn’t a option for 95% of people to view in and that is being very generous. It’s cute to show off but creatively it’s at the bottom of the list.
Who said I/others want to shoot in 8k to playback in 8k? You go back and forth or not, you have missed the point of 8K entirely.

Upvote 0