Design of the EOS-R. An interview with product development manager

Jul 28, 2015
I used Google translate which seemed OK:
https://news.mynavi.jp/article/20180910-690162/

Some interesting points that I found:
  • The number of pixels itself is the same as EOS 5D Mark IV, but the sensor itself is newly developed...It is raising ISO sensitivity more than EOS 5D Mark IV.
  • Digic 8 processor: "raised the processing performance drastically than before. In addition to becoming able to realize the function of the digital lens optimizer in real time at the time of attaching the RF lens, it contributes also to the performance improvement of the dual pixel CMOS AF. The performance of noise reduction has also been enhanced, and compared with EOS 5D Mark IV, ordinary ISO sensitivity has been increased by 1/3 step. "
  • When installing the [IBIS] mechanism inside the body, you must overcome the challenges such as size, cost, heat generation...However, since I fully know the merit of camera shake compensation in the body, I will consider it including it. [so it sounds like they have not solved this problem]
  • First of all, I will introduce EOS R as a well-balanced middle class, but of course I am thinking about the higher and lower models than that
  • We are assuming 8 K as an EOS R system.

It even includes a roadmap - low on detail but a string of f2.8 lenses coming out in the next 2 years!

Reactions: 1 user

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
Nice find!

I presume it’s going to take an eventual dual DIGIC 8 body to raise Servo AF fps to somewhere closer to 10. As great as DPAF is, it obviously is much more data to process than a discrete PDAF system with a few dozen AF points. And what’s worse, the bus is shared with the actual image processing pipeline which in a mirrorless also has to keep data flowing to the EVF...

Upvote 0