Excellent shot, Alan.
d055.gif

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Can't say I ever looked for this thread but there sure are impressive photos here. Some, certainly exceed the beauty of what we have here in Alberta.

Jack
You should join in Jack. I didn't appreciate the beauty and onterest of these insects until I started photographing them last year as it helps to see these larger than life -size images.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
You should join in Jack. I didn't appreciate the beauty and onterest of these insects until I started photographing them last year as it helps to see these larger than life -size images.
Thanks Alan, I agree and in fact have taken a fair number of shot of these guys and who knows, with my fading memory, I may even have posted something in this thread. Here's one that in my circle didn't garner much praise, but I liked it. I found that at certain times, especially when they were sexually active, they were easier to shoot in flight but my, they are as challenging as shooting swallows catching mosquitoes! Hovering is about the only time my AF could catch them.

Jack

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Dec 31, 2018
Nice one! I have never done a focus stack. Erik does them. It seems a very useful technique for dragonflies.
Yeah its good for 100-400 and 70-300 ,dragonflys get big with min focus distance. and they like sit very still. smaller insects can get all sharp ,just with small aperture.
and these lenses got just tiny bit focus breathing,makes stack easier

Last edited:
Upvote 0