Dust inside brand new lens, Canon quality problem?

candyman

R6, R8, M6 II, M5
Sep 27, 2011
www.flickr.com
Hello people,

Just bought 2 brand new Canon RF 16mm 2.8 (returned 1st one because same problem), both say Made in Taiwan and had dust inside lens.

Is this a control quality problem? Dust inside brand new lens I think it's a factory problem? Happened to anyone?

First time it happens to me.
I used the RF16. I do not notice dust. Not in the lens nor the photos.

Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
I've never had that problem, even with refurbished lenses. What if it's the same lens!?
For what it's worth, I doubt there is enough dust in there to affect your photos.
Take a look at what Roger Cicala wrote about a fly!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I just tried my 2nd RF 16mm copy (while not return) and it was pretty ok for indoors and closeups (focus not far) but for landscape (focus in infinity) it looked real horrible to be honest only center was sharp but close to center it was already without detail and corners very mushy. Same experience? This makes me think this is a vlog lens created for close focus objects and not for landscape.

Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
I just tried my 2nd RF 16mm copy (while not return) and it was pretty ok for indoors and closeups (focus not far) but for landscape (focus in infinity) it looked real horrible to be honest only center was sharp but close to center it was already without detail and corners very mushy. Same experience? This makes me think this is a vlog lens created for close focus objects and not for landscape.
I've never tried focusing it to infinity. Where I live, there's a lot of trees. The few places where I have a chance to focus that far away, are not super interesting for me, but I will try tomorrow. I'll take EF 14mm f/2.8 for comparison. I do think the 16 is better at the sides closer though...

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Mine is described by this review, tack sharp in the centre and near centre. You may have bad copy. https://www.opticallimits.com/canon_eos_ff/1136-canonrf16f28?start=1

Upvote 0