EdMika relaunch of FL 55mm 1.2 EOS brass conversion kit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 18, 2011
Hello all,

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/180807598906?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649#ht_1648wt_1370

We finally have the FL 55mm 1.2 conversion kits ready to ship. We have 31 on hand for now. Our CNC machine has a problem with lubrication and is currently disassembled and the problem is now found and we will hopefully have everything back together in days. Also I have less than 35 Dandelion reporting chips in stock and I have exhausted the global supply of them. The plant in Russia thinks they will have another large batch ready to ship on Feb1. Problem is it takes 2 weeks for them to arrive here in Canada with the only method they use for shipping.

Once those two hold ups are fixed, we are focusing on adjusting the design of our 0.5mm FD-EOS adapter slightly to ensure triggering of the mechanical switch in older EOS bodies. After that our development work will focus on the three FD 55mm 1.2 lens versions.

Feb 18, 2011
Harley said:
Any differences between this kit and the previous version you made?

Hi Harley, Quite a few changes but nothing that really impacts functionality in this unofficially 3rd FL design version. This is the first FL kit we 100% made ourselves, the first two versions were outsourced to Toronto machine shops. We made the edges of the EF side exactly match an EF lens rather than having them more rounded before which used to allow a larger cutter to be used for minimizing tool wear and tool changes. We did this square edge thing because we could not assure that a mechanical lens detection switch on older EOS bodies (from the 1D2N and older) was being triggered in all bodies. We also added a small face groove to reduce friction while engaging and disengaging the lens. We added a small circular brass ridge to give me perfectly repeatable chip locating rather than the old notch I used for eyeballing. We also eliminated the sticker shims by adjusting cut depth since we found variability in the field was quite low and I was tired of sticking them all on by hand.

If anyone is interested in upgrading to the latest version (though I really think from a functionality point of view its rather unnecessary) I am willing to sell at a 40% discount with the return of the original adapter. The reason I'm interested in getting the old ones back is I've had an experience with one buyer in particular who claimed to have a problem with their adapter so I sent a free replacement and they turned around and sold the original one. I know this is just one case and overwhelmingly buyers have been extremely honest and excellent and supportive of what I'm doing but once burned its hard to not get a little bit jaded.

Upvote 0
I saw your other posting of the 0.5mm FD kit, so did a quick search for the 55mm 1.2 kit posting.

Just wanted to say I ordered one of the 55mm 1.2 FL kits from the late-January batch. It arrived in 5 days (to California) - awesome!! And doing the conversion couldn't have been easier.. (screw driver, screws + spare included, etc..) The kit is spectacular and that piece of brass just looks perfect.

Congrats on getting your shop up and going! And thanks for the amazing attention to detail and continued exploration into converting more of the old lenses!

Upvote 0
ontarian said:
Harley said:
Any differences between this kit and the previous version you made?

Hi Harley, Quite a few changes but nothing that really impacts functionality in this unofficially 3rd FL design version. This is the first FL kit we 100% made ourselves, the first two versions were outsourced to Toronto machine shops. We made the edges of the EF side exactly match an EF lens rather than having them more rounded before which used to allow a larger cutter to be used for minimizing tool wear and tool changes. We did this square edge thing because we could not assure that a mechanical lens detection switch on older EOS bodies (from the 1D2N and older) was being triggered in all bodies. We also added a small face groove to reduce friction while engaging and disengaging the lens. We added a small circular brass ridge to give me perfectly repeatable chip locating rather than the old notch I used for eyeballing. We also eliminated the sticker shims by adjusting cut depth since we found variability in the field was quite low and I was tired of sticking them all on by hand.

If anyone is interested in upgrading to the latest version (though I really think from a functionality point of view its rather unnecessary) I am willing to sell at a 40% discount with the return of the original adapter. The reason I'm interested in getting the old ones back is I've had an experience with one buyer in particular who claimed to have a problem with their adapter so I sent a free replacement and they turned around and sold the original one. I know this is just one case and overwhelmingly buyers have been extremely honest and excellent and supportive of what I'm doing but once burned its hard to not get a little bit jaded.

pretty disappointing that people will do that considering its a fair priced item and all the R&D that went into it
BTW mine is going well, hoping to go out and shoot some kangaroos with the 600FD today if this rain clears up

Upvote 0
Jul 19, 2011
wickidwombat said:
pretty disappointing that people will do that considering its a fair priced item and all the R&D that went into it
BTW mine is going well, hoping to go out and shoot some kangaroos with the 600FD today if this rain clears up
Agreed -- that's ridiculous. I'm tempted to buy the new version of the adapter just to have both versions! BTW, I just posted a couple night shots with the FL 55mm here: http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php/topic,1758.msg73521/topicseen.html#new

Upvote 0
Loving my 55 1.2
409359_505492652492_98100064_30072528_2096716709_a.jpg

Upvote 0

dr croubie

Too many photos, too little time.
Jun 1, 2011
hmmm, seems I, ... uh, ... "accidentally" bought an FL 55 f/1.2 off ebay overnight.

Oh well, now i'll just have to get an adapter for it and use it, although i'll be torn as to what to do with my gorgeous Takumar 50 f/1.4 if the FL is better (Tak @ f/2 > 50/1.8ii @f/4).

Now the question is whether to get the 0.5mm tele kit at the same time to save on postage "just in case" I accidentally buy a 600mm FD as well...

Upvote 0
Jul 19, 2011
The_Arsonist said:
Anyone have any good solutions for a hood on this lens? I am looking at a generic 58mm screw in hood now, but was wondering if there are any good aftermarket replacements for the original S-60 hood

If you like the original hood, you can find them often at KEH.com. Since you're shooting APS-C, you can also use the T-60-1 hood without it showing in the frame. It's a little deeper, so it helps eliminate flare even better.

Upvote 0
Jul 19, 2011
dr croubie said:
hmmm, seems I, ... uh, ... "accidentally" bought an FL 55 f/1.2 off ebay overnight.

Oh well, now i'll just have to get an adapter for it and use it, although i'll be torn as to what to do with my gorgeous Takumar 50 f/1.4 if the FL is better (Tak @ f/2 > 50/1.8ii @f/4).

Now the question is whether to get the 0.5mm tele kit at the same time to save on postage "just in case" I accidentally buy a 600mm FD as well...

Speaking as someone who has both adapters (my tele is the 300 f/2.8 L), I say better to buy now just on the off chance that you purchase an FD supertele without knowing it. At least then it will be usable right away.

Upvote 0
Harley said:
The_Arsonist said:
Anyone have any good solutions for a hood on this lens? I am looking at a generic 58mm screw in hood now, but was wondering if there are any good aftermarket replacements for the original S-60 hood

If you like the original hood, you can find them often at KEH.com. Since you're shooting APS-C, you can also use the T-60-1 hood without it showing in the frame. It's a little deeper, so it helps eliminate flare even better.

Did you mean T-60-2 or is the -1 correct? I can't find any info on the -1.

From the pictures, it looks like the chrome part of the hood slips over the black lip at the front of the lens, and there is a screw to clamp it on? I think I like that type of design over one that screws into the filter threads, as long as it's not going to slip off. The s-60/t-60 look pretty snazzy :)

Upvote 0
Jul 19, 2011
The_Arsonist said:
Did you mean T-60-2 or is the -1 correct? I can't find any info on the -1.

From the pictures, it looks like the chrome part of the hood slips over the black lip at the front of the lens, and there is a screw to clamp it on? I think I like that type of design over one that screws into the filter threads, as long as it's not going to slip off. The s-60/t-60 look pretty snazzy :)

I take it back, I have the T-60-2. It slips over the end of the lens (whether or not it has a filter on it). The screw pushes the hood's inner ring tight against the lens to keep it from slipping. It's easy to fix and to remove.

I believe there is also a T-60-1 hood and the difference is that one is slightly deeper than the other. The T-60-2 is about an inch and a half deep. The S-60 is about an inch. Both are all metal and have black felt on the inside of the hood.

Neeneko said:
Though now I am wondering if I should grab one, or wait till the FD 55 1.2 kits are ready. I have heard good things about both lenses....

Get an FL 55mm! It's a great lens, compact, with excellent build quality and feel.

Upvote 0
Harley said:
I take it back, I have the T-60-2. It slips over the end of the lens (whether or not it has a filter on it). The screw pushes the hood's inner ring tight against the lens to keep it from slipping. It's easy to fix and to remove.

I believe there is also a T-60-1 hood and the difference is that one is slightly deeper than the other. The T-60-2 is about an inch and a half deep. The S-60 is about an inch. Both are all metal and have black felt on the inside of the hood.

Thanks for the info, I found a T-60-2 on KEH and it's on the way to me as we speak (type?)

This thing does like to flare. It may be a nice effect sometimes, but I'd rather lessen it in most circumstances with a hood.

Upvote 0
Jul 19, 2011
Neeneko said:
That is my current plan, I guess I will see if eBay plays along.

It is a pity the TS 35mm lenses are so pricy, that looks like it would be a fun one to convert...

Right on! The TS can be found for around $600 or so if you keep an eye out for deals. KEH.com has them occassionally. Blue Moon Camera currently has one: http://www.bluemooncamera.com/inventory.php?menuID=0&catID=100&deptID=121 That's such a compact lens for a tilt-shift -- a lot nicer to carry around than a TS-E lens. And like the FL 55mm, the build quality is really solid plus beautiful glass with the S.S.C. coating.

The_Arsonist said:
Thanks for the info, I found a T-60-2 on KEH and it's on the way to me as we speak (type?)

This thing does like to flare. It may be a nice effect sometimes, but I'd rather lessen it in most circumstances with a hood.

Glad you found one! It'll definitely help with the flare.

Upvote 0
N

Neeneko

Harley said:
Right on! The TS can be found for around $600 or so if you keep an eye out for deals. KEH.com has them occassionally. Blue Moon Camera currently has one: http://www.bluemooncamera.com/inventory.php?menuID=0&catID=100&deptID=121 That's such a compact lens for a tilt-shift -- a lot nicer to carry around than a TS-E lens. And like the FL 55mm, the build quality is really solid plus beautiful glass with the S.S.C. coating.

Interesting. I will have to keep my eyes open. For some reason I had it in my head that they were a lot pricier then that.. but maybe I was confusing that with when I was looking at Canon's 0.95f lenses.

Upvote 0
Jul 19, 2011
Neeneko said:
Interesting. I will have to keep my eyes open. For some reason I had it in my head that they were a lot pricier then that.. but maybe I was confusing that with when I was looking at Canon's 0.95f lenses.
Yeah, not nearly as expensive as a TS-E lens. Plus I think the 35mm focal length, which is not available in the TS-E line, is just a great, usable focal length. The length and weight of the lens balances nicely with my 7D body.
Ed's adapter retains all the rotational functionality of the lens, too! So you can rotate it 180 degrees in order to tilt and shift horizontal or vertical or in whatever direction you need. It has detents at every 15 degrees. It's really a brilliant adapter.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.