Ended: Your favourite new Canon camera of 2018

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
2018 was definitely the “year of the lens” for Canon as well as the third party manufacturers. Canon announced nine lenses, their most since 2012, including 7 L lenses, which is the most Canon has ever announced in one calendar year.
Canon camera announcements were a different story. There has been no “professional” camera announcement from Canon since the EOS 5D Mark IV in 2016. The EOS 6D Mark II was the only full frame camera announced in 2017, a year which brought us oddities like the EOS 77D and the PowerShot G1 X Mark III.

(function(d, s, id){
var js,
fjs = d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0],
r = Math.floor(new Date().getTime() / 1000000);
if (d.getElementById(id)) {return;}
js = d.createElement(s); js.id = id; js.async=1;
js.src = "https://www.opinionstage.com/assets/loader.js?" + r;
fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js, fjs);
}(document, 'script', 'os-widget-jssdk'));

2018 only saw 2 ILC cameras that brought about any sort of excitement. The EOS M50, which...

Continue reading...

Last edited:
M50 because of bang for bucks:
(1) ultra precise and flexible AF (for slow moving / static subjects)
(2) EVF good for video and surprisingly great for prechecking scene with exposure and colors (with profiles) plus low light situations (see more than with naked eye)
(3) very good overall IQ
(4) dream package with tiny 22mm and small 32mm
(5) good AF with f/5.6 incl. 2x TC (!!!)
(6) miserable count of direct controls but very good integration for this situation*

* I learned late that it is possible and efficient to reassign the four "cursor buttons" to new functions (for my shooting style):
LEFT AF mode
UPPER SERVO/ no servo toggle
RIGHT Exp Comp / in manual: switch f/stop / Time
LOWER AF on / off toggle

I really like the concept of EOS R's first iteration but I want IBIS to use my old lenses with IS support - and if it is only 2...3 stops. So I would pay 3k EUR/$ for a camera with IBIS to avoid buying a 2.3 kEUR/$ body and pay 3...4 kEUR/$ for lenses in the long run.

But I think the inclusion of this feature is just a matter of (not too much) time ...

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
If I were to buy one from this year, the M50. But I chose the EOS R in the poll because it breaks new ground and signals better yet to come.

I'm not buying the M50 at this time because I feel the 80D isn't a whole lot bigger, especially when I use the ef-s 24mm f/2.8 pancake or ef-s 35mm f/2.8 IS Macro. Plus it is light and fun with the ef 70-200mm f/4L IS (I)! But if I didn't have the 80D, the M50 would be very attractive.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Folks.
I voted EOS R. I won’t be buying one yet! I had a good long play during an in store hands on day and can see the benefits it offers, in my opinion the evf is better than the Sony ILCE-7RM3 (how it is shown in exif) that I tried, but still not as ‘instant’ as an ovf. When one of my current cameras dies I would certainly have an R on the list to replace it, hopefully by then it will be a couple of generations on and a high speed sports body will be available.

Cheers, Graham.

Upvote 0
I’m not voting, as none of these cameras managed to tempt me to part with my money this year. Perhaps it would have been better to phrase the question as “Which Canon camera(s) did you buy in 2018?” That’s all that really matters.

Of course, this being the internet, the results and this forum topic would still be full of idiots claiming they own something that they don’t, just because they get a kick out of winding other people up...

Upvote 0

brad-man

Semi-Reactive Member
Jun 6, 2012
S Florida
I’m not voting, as none of these cameras managed to tempt me to part with my money this year. Perhaps it would have been better to phrase the question as “Which Canon camera(s) did you buy in 2018?” That’s all that really matters.

Of course, this being the internet, the results and this forum topic would still be full of idiots claiming they own something that they don’t, just because they get a kick out of winding other people up...

Since you didn't buy a Canon camera and you have decided not to vote in the poll, kindly tell us exactly why you responded at all...

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
I’m not voting ...
As I posted in one of the lens vote threads, I'd prefer to also have a "none of them" vote, too.
But here you show your bad ambitions in your first post in this thread here by directly calling names.

Shame on you for being so impolite! This is just trolling! Pitty! :mad:

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
I would be torn between the EOS R, which is certainly a fine camera, just not the one to tempt me to go mirrorless FF, and the M50, which I could see adding to my stable if it had a few more of the features of the latest Oly’s.

Both are nice, just not the one for me.....yet..... I am sure that in the next year or two Canon will come out with one to help separate me from my money

Upvote 0
Since you didn't buy a Canon camera and you have decided not to vote in the poll, kindly tell us exactly why you responded at all...

I own a number of Canon cameras and EF mount lenses, I just didn’t buy a new camera in 2018. None of the cameras on the list suited my needs/desires: that’s no problem, I don’t desperately need a new camera and I’m happy to wait and see what 2019 brings. I just don’t see the point voting for a camera that I didn’t buy, if it deserved my vote, I would have voted with my wallet.

I know it’s slow news time of year and it’s not just Canon Rumors doing this topic, but can’t we have a slightly more original approach. I’d rather read opinions of people who have actually used cameras than get yet another poll that’s distorted by trolls and tribalism.

I hate quasi-democratic online polls like this, as they inevitably get used to support in unjustifiable positions, often long after their original premise has been forgotten.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I vote for the R. Currently not in the market, but I like that Canon released FF mirrorless... mostly due to the lenses and the new possibilities the RF mount lenses in the future may offer. So that is my favorite Canon body released in 2018. Whether I buy it or want it is irrelevant. It will be fun to see the results on Monday. :) Don't know why people keep wanting a "none of the above" category. That isn't relevant to the question. Wouldn't not voting at all be the same thing?

Upvote 0