EOS 3Dor 5DIII rumor update at Northern Light Images?

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

that1guy

dilbert said:
bradj said:
that1guy said:
I nearly got the 5DII, but found out about the AF on it and so I bought a 70-200 2.8 IS instead.

What AF issue on the 5dII are you alluding to please?
thanks,
Brad.

The pixel peepers saw that it did not get changed or upgraded so they concluded that they could not take sharp photos with that camera. If you're not a pixel peeper and know how to use a camera, you should be fine.

Well, I am a pixel peeper and I need to be because I get paid for some of the work I do. Micro stock sites won't accept soft images, and my portrait clients aren't crazy about it either. But that is a pretty narrow explanation and not nearly the whole reason.

It is true that the 5dii is pretty much the same AF as the 5D, and the 5d's is nearly the same as my 20D, and like I said before (can't remember in this post or another) but I only like to upgrade if a camera (or lens) solves a problem I've bumped up against, not just because something is the newest best version, or because I think it's "nifty".

So what was wrong w/ the 5D AF? Well, I would personally like something faster. I photograph a lot of kids and the way I photograph them is to let them run around and do their thing. While I am able to get sharp photos, at times I know that I have also missed a few because I did not have an AF system that could track faster or more accurately. Obviously, you don't need it all the time, but if it would help me out, then I should wait for it, right? Others I know who shoot landscape, studio stuff (product or portrait), and adult portraits rarely have a problem with it as they rely a lot more on the center AF point and have time to recompose. Kids are just a bit quicker ;)

Also, the outside AF points are not as accurate. I experience this w/ my 20D, I've experienced it w/ the 5D, and I've heard reports of it w/ the 5DII from multiple people (and photographers I trust, not just some random forum people). If a kid is moving it is really hard to focus with the center point and then recompose (if you want the kid to the side of the frame for instance) and get a crisp shot. Even if you are not a pixel peeper you can get shots that would not be acceptable for prints. As a portrait photographer, you need to make sure your client can print the images you give them at any size they would want.

I actually don't care too much about whether I get 15, 39, 51, or 133 AF points. I'm quite ok w/ 9, as long as they are spaced well and all accurate. That said, I would have liked it if the 5Dii had its af points spaced out a bit more. It always felt cramped shooting the 5D.

So those are the AF things that I was talking about. As I said...they aren't a deal breaker for most people, but for me (even though I really want FF) it was just not enough. Everyone has different needs as a photographer, the trick is to figure out what your needs are and not what someone else (like me) tells you your needs are. If you are considering a 5Dii, I would recommend either renting one, or seeing if you can borrow one from a friend. Heck, if you know someone w/ a 5D you could try that out too. Just see if you like it. If you do and it works for you, then who cares what I thought of the camera ;) Hope that helps clear up my statement :)

Edited for clarity (hopefully ::) ) and to add this: in hindsight, even if the 5dii's AF would have ended up being as good as a 1D series, it was still a better move for me to get the lens . The two lenses that I got while I was waiting have made a much bigger difference in my photos than a better camera (even w/ a fast AF and FF sensor) could have ever done.

Upvote 0
Seems that a lot of people don't know this: "The AF system on the EOS 5D Mark II includes 9 visible AF points and six invisible assist points, for a total 15 points concentrated toward the center. [..] The purpose of the supplemental points is to enhance the camera’s subject tracking performance by filling in the gaps between the highly sensitive central AF point and the 8 adjacent linear sensors."

Edit: And: "[5DII] The outer points on the extreme left and right are actually located at the same positions as the corresponding points in the EOS-1Ds Mark III, giving the camera a wide field for detecting moving subjects crossing the scene or improved ability to focus on off-center subjects."

Attachments

• 5d2af.gif
    5d2af.gif
    13.5 KB · Views: 721
Upvote 0
T

that1guy

Yeah, just like the 5D: "The EOS 5D camera has a new 9-point AF unit
with six Supplemental AF points, a new AF
algorithm and new AF circuitry."
5D whitepaper here: www.usa.canon.com/uploadedimages/FCK/.../EOS_5D_WP.pdf
(unless I missed something...if so, my loss :( )

Sounds the same as the original 5D, and from the picture, it didn't look like the assist points made the AF area any wider. That was one of the problems I had w/ the 5D. Maybe I missunderstood the pictures, but I would like them to be wider and cover more of the view finder. Like I said, I actually tried the 5D and it just wasn't enough for me to part w/ more money. No big deal. Beautiful camera, beautiful images, but not enough of an AF upgrade/solution for me. My money (and again, just saying this was the way it was for my situation) was better spent on lenses at that time.

Honestly, if they don't upgrade the AF w/ the next model, then I will probably just get that model anyway since I have a nice set of lenses now, and I will probably need a camera by then.

BTW- thanks for the link and the image...it is helpful :)

Upvote 0
T

that1guy

fotoworx said:
I've personally never found the AF on my 5DMKII to be lacking.

Thanks for sharing that, fotoworx :) Great example of how not everyone has the same needs. I think I might have made it sound like it was a horrid AF system, when all I was doing was pointing out the specific reasons it didn't work for me personally. Hopefully Brad isn't completely turned off on the camera (if he was even looking for one...heck, I think I was just assuming that...sorry if I was incorrect, Brad.)

I think so much in photography depends on personal preference and shooting style. Fotoworx and thousands of 5D mkII owners have no problem w/ the camera and love it. If you are considering one, Brad, I would really recommend renting or borrowing one and trying it out for yourself. If it does what you need it to do, then who cares what I thought, right? ;)

Other people's opinions are just that...our opinions. They are valuable for getting a general feel for how something works, but ultimately, we each need to just get what we like and decide for ourselves. Really sorry if it sounded like I was shredding the 5DII :-[

Upvote 0
E

Edwin Herdman

that1guy said:
Honestly, if they don't upgrade the AF w/ the next model, then I will probably just get that model anyway since I have a nice set of lenses now, and I will probably need a camera by then.
It's a safe bet that it will be upgraded. Unless Canon pulls a segment repositioning maneuver with the 5D's successor even more dramatic than the 60D's, it'd be very strange for them to leave the full-frame model with 15 AF points in-between models that have 45 points (1D Mark IV) and 19 (on the 7D all are cross-type; on the 5D Mark II only one is).

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.