EOS 5D Mark III Firmware Coming April 30, 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
I doubt that will happen, ever, due to the 5D3 design. In order for it to happen they have to take away metering speed. They already stated that the red AF points affect the metering and they dont have a way to deal with that in firmware.

pwp said:
RGF said:
Hope they fix the AF points so that the active point is red

Oh yes please...

-PW

Upvote 0

Krob78

When in Doubt, Press the Shutter...
Aug 8, 2012
The Florida Peninsula
They have stated that, true enough. Doesn't it seem a bit hard to believe though? Seems like there should be some type of fix or code that can be written into the firmware. Seemed odd to me when they made that statement, obviously I'm not a software, firmware, hardware engineer though, so my inability to understand the why's or why not's regarding this issue are somewhat limited I'm sure! lol!
East Wind Photography said:
I doubt that will happen, ever, due to the 5D3 design. In order for it to happen they have to take away metering speed. They already stated that the red AF points affect the metering and they dont have a way to deal with that in firmware.

pwp said:
RGF said:

Oh yes please...

-PW

Upvote 0

JonAustin

Telecom / IT consultant and semi-pro photographer
Dec 10, 2012
Horseshoe Bay, TX

RGF said:
Maybe I'm missing the point completely (wouldn't be the first time by a long shot), but illumination of the active AF points in red is already provided (Canon 5DIII instruction manual, page 103: VF display illumination).

It's true that when this function is set to either Enable (always) or Auto (only in low ambient light), the duration of the illumination is quite brief (1/4 second or so), but -- according to my VF display -- the metering is achieved (virtually) simultaneously with the illumination of the active AF points, so I don't get the "affects metering" argument.

It seems to me that a firmware update could be easily implemented to select the duration of the AF point illumination; i.e.: the brief duration currently available; 1, 2, 4, 8 seconds (just throwing out possible values here); or as long as the shutter button is depressed halfway.

Again, if I'm missing the point entirely here, I would love to be schooled. I do appreciate that metering can remain active as long as the shutter button is depressed halfway, so as to modify meter readings in changing ambient light levels during composition (i.e., passing clouds or focus/recompose). But it seems to me that an algorithm could be developed to take AF point illumination into consideration in the metering calculation, if / when the light spill from the illuminated AF points does impact metering; something like: adjust metering by x% when (count of AF points illuminated x light emitted per illuminated AF point) > y% of ambient light level of metered scene.

Upvote 0
Yes, the issue is that the red illumination in the 5D3 affects the metering when both are on at the same time. In the 1DX they were able to alternate metering with illumination but on the 5D3 this was not possible with just a firmware tweak. That is a fact that Canon has already announced. People frequently miss the point mainly because Canon doesn't talk much about problems they cant fix. However this one was discussed by a Canon representative. It was looked at and deemed not possible at that time with just a firmware solution.

Hopefully the redesigned 7DII will incorporate these fixes and we will likely see something whenever/if ever a 5DIV gets to the drawing board.

With that said, it's been about 6 months and I'm sure the smart firmware engineers have not dropped it but continue to look for ways to make it happen.

JonAustin said:

RGF said:
Maybe I'm missing the point completely (wouldn't be the first time by a long shot), but illumination of the active AF points in red is already provided (Canon 5DIII instruction manual, page 103: VF display illumination).

It's true that when this function is set to either Enable (always) or Auto (only in low ambient light), the duration of the illumination is quite brief (1/4 second or so), but -- according to my VF display -- the metering is achieved (virtually) simultaneously with the illumination of the active AF points, so I don't get the "affects metering" argument.

It seems to me that a firmware update could be easily implemented to select the duration of the AF point illumination; i.e.: the brief duration currently available; 1, 2, 4, 8 seconds (just throwing out possible values here); or as long as the shutter button is depressed halfway.

Again, if I'm missing the point entirely here, I would love to be schooled. I do appreciate that metering can remain active as long as the shutter button is depressed halfway, so as to modify meter readings in changing ambient light levels during composition (i.e., passing clouds or focus/recompose). But it seems to me that an algorithm could be developed to take AF point illumination into consideration in the metering calculation, if / when the light spill from the illuminated AF points does impact metering; something like: adjust metering by x% when (count of AF points illuminated x light emitted per illuminated AF point) > y% of ambient light level of metered scene.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.