EOS 5D Mark IV Mentioned [CR1]

Jul 21, 2010
Stumbled upon this over at NL
http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/cameras/Canon_5d4.html

"14th We're told (thanks) that the 5D mk4 won't be along until later in the year, not until the 5Ds/R is shipping in reasonable numbers. Part of the timing depends on just how well it sells and to whom - 5D3 sales in Europe have been holding up well, which might push the 5D4 back beyond the update of the 1D X.
This may or may not fit in with info (thanks) from the far east, that the 5D4 is due in August/September and would come in at 28MP, 9fps and with 4k video. Both the 5D4 and 1D X update would see the launch of a 'significant' advance in Canon's flash control capabilities. This would also include adapters/controllers and firmware updates for recent models to make more use of the functionality.
As someone who uses flash rather rarely on my ageing 1Ds3 (I don't really do 'people photography' in our business ;-), I've no idea what areas this could cover?
Both rumours are out beyond my normal ~3 month 'reality window', so deserve a suitable scepticism at the moment"

Hope the 28 MP sensor rumor is wrong...it kinda contradicts to what Canon said upon announcement of the 5D3 back in the day... :-\ So I strongly hope for a 5DX...

Let's see what CRguy comes up with these days...!!! 8)

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
Canon Rumors Premium
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<p>Northlight is reporting they’ve been told that the EOS 5D Mark IV isn’t scheduled to be announced until the fall of 2015 at the earliest, and that we won’t be seeing it until the EOS 5DS/5DS R are shipping in reasonable numbers. It was interesting that they also mentioned that current EOS 5D Mark III sales are still good and that may delay the release of the EOS 5D Mark IV until after the EOS-1D X Mark II is announced. It sounds like this has yet to be decided.</p>
<p>A separate report from Northlight says the EOS 5D Mark IV would have a 28mp sensor, 9fps and shoot 4K video. The camera would also see a “significant” advancement along with the EOS-1D X replacement in external flash control capabilities. This would include adaptors/controllers and firmware updates for the latest Canon DSLRs.</p>
<p>Source: [<a href="http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/cameras/Canon_5d4.html" target="_blank">Northlight</a>]</p>

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
Canon Rumors Premium
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
The information about the time schedule sounds quite logical and I would give this a [CR3].
Concerning specs it would be the normal Canon way to notch up the camera performance a little bit in every feature. I don't know, if if I expect more MP on a 5D4 (or 5D X) or less. 28 MP or 18 MP could be a typo.
No matter what nubers it'll get it should be notacebly better performing in high ISO and DR.

But I see myself skipping this cam generation if nothing really impressing happens.
(If I got money to spend I'd spend it in lenses)

Upvote 0

lintoni

Good grief!
Mar 18, 2012
Maximilian said:
The information about the time schedule sounds quite logical and I would give this a [CR3].
Concerning specs it would be the normal Canon way to notch up the camera performance a little bit in every feature. I don't know, if if I expect more MP on a 5D4 (or 5D X) or less. 28 MP or 18 MP could be a typo.
No matter what nubers it'll get it should be notacebly better performing in high ISO and DR.

But I see myself skipping this cam generation if nothing really impressing happens.
(If I got money to spend I'd spend it in lenses)
That's exactly how I see it going for me. I think we're definitely at the stage of mature technology, with incremental improvements in features and specs. I see a 5DV or 6D3 being my next body purchase.

Looking at the specs is interesting, and wondering if the new flash features will mean RT control from the bodies may prove a source of speculation for those that use Speedlites a lot...

Upvote 0
Sep 12, 2011
All of this sounds reasonable to me. 28MP and the time line really sound right. 9FPS seems a bit fast for a portrait camera, but who knows...

If they hit 28MP with better DR and high ISO noise performance it will be a big seller.

IF the 5DIV does have better DR and high ISO noise performance it would cut the feet out of the 5DS. So given that the 5DS seems to be popular expect the 5DIV to be pushed back a bit.

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
candc said:
sounds like built in radio transmitter for flash control?

sounds like it, yes. Finally. Long overdue! A Canon RT wireless flash master commander should already have been built into every single Canon EOS camera since the 600EX-RT flash was announced.

Now Canon has waited long enough for Yongnuo, Shanny, Nissinand a whole bunch of other Chinese companies releasing radio-wireless flash units and transceivers.

Upvote 0
Take note the CR1 ... I'd just say that if I had a rating system, the fact that both of these are outside of three months away would automatically get the larger pinch of salt ;-)

I'm now of out to test a new lens - a 1958 Tamron 135/4.5 'twin-tele' - looks rather odd on the front of my 1Ds3

Upvote 0
28MP, 9 FPS and if it has decent Low Light and DR would be a winner for me.

I will still wait to see what the 5Ds holds in actual IQ, but if it is a 50MP 7DMKII that is probably a step back for what I would want.

Right around 30MP with solid performance is perfect, and my guess is this will be better low-light / DR and that the 5Ds willl be more large images, landscape, etc.

I like the idea of 50MP, though sure once I was trying to edit a few dozen images, the size may start get noticeable, especially with many layers or images open

Upvote 0
lintoni said:
candc said:
sounds like built in radio transmitter for flash control?
Now that my two functional brain cells have had a bit of time to think about it... highly unlikely, this would surely make more sense in the 5Ds bodies than the 5D4?

i would more likely be using a set of profotos or dynalights with the 5Ds than a set of 600 RTs. putting the RT tech into a 5D4 makes much more sense to me as that is the camera i would more likely to be using speedlights with.

Upvote 0
I think it is only early 2016 we will really know what is good for all of us. We will see reviews and then we will all decide which way to go:)

Looks like 5Ds and 5D MKIV are extremely different and this is how it should be, completely different segments. My only questions, something that I do not 100% understand is...if 5D MKIV will be the speed monster, it would only make sense to offer a better DR with 5Ds.

High ISO and speed = MKIV, Resolution and DR = 5Ds.

This is how it would make sense to me.

Upvote 0