EOS 5D Mark IV Mentioned [CR1]

gmon750

Canon Rumors Premium
Jan 30, 2015
As a diving photographer, I'm really crossing my fingers that they keep the body of the Mark IV the same as the Mark III. These underwater housings are crazy expensive (more than the camera) and I'd love to purchase the IV if it fits my Mark III housing. They did that with the 5DDS(r) body, hoping for the same.

Looks like a good, solid update from the Mark III.

Upvote 0
Canon Rumors said:
It was interesting that they also mentioned that current EOS 5D Mark III sales are still good and that may delay the release of the EOS 5D Mark IV until after the EOS-1D X Mark II is announced. It sounds like this has yet to be decided.

This is the sort if thinking that really gets on my nerves.

Why delay the release of a product just because the electronically dated (though capable) predecessor sold well last quarter?

Don't tell me it's about amortising R&D investment as long as possible, that sort of thinking is the problem.

If Canon were really hungry, they would release as soon as they had a reliable product in order to dominate the market and stay ahead of the (robust) competition.

Instead, there is rumour of product delay, which either means that the camera is not ready or that the current market leader is just complacent.

I'd rather see an aggressively innovative Canon get its great products to market with a sense of urgency.

Upvote 0
DBC said:
Amortizing development cost makes no sense. As long as you hold back the M4, you're not recouping your R&D for that product. So you fail to recover R&D on your new product to better your margin on a product you're taking off the market?
Makes so little sense I doubt that is their strategy.

Exactly; with high retention rates in this target market, it should all be about attaining additional market share and not taking it ez based on the market they gained with the 5d and kept increasing.... now with several competitors offering compelling products, there is a risk of reversing that trend...

Upvote 0
DBC said:
Amortizing development cost makes no sense. As long as you hold back the M4, you're not recouping your R&D for that product. So you fail to recover R&D on your new product to better your margin on a product you're taking off the market?

I was referring to the 5DIII, which the rumour suggests is to be allowed to run in the market as long as the sales hold.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
DBC said:

A more logical and likely strategy: 5DIII sales indicate that the market is still strong for the current model. Canon has to be confident that there will be sufficient demand for a 5DIV before bringing it to market.

Market saturation means that the primary customers for a 5DIV are existing DSLR owners, including 5DIII owners. Therefore, the feature set has to be robust enough to prompt current owners to upgrade.

Canon isn't just sitting around with a new model on the shelf gathering dust, they are no doubt tweaking the technology and feature set and then running field tests and focus groups to hit the sweet spot that will prompt people to upgrade.

Reading comments from 5DIII owners on this forum, it's clear that getting people to upgrade will not be easy. Like many others, I'm very happy with the 5DIII and it will be tough to convince me to upgrade. I would rather Canon take their time and produce a really compelling upgrade (as they did with the 7DII).

Upvote 0
Five days ago Masaya Maeda - Managing Director and Chief Executive, Image Communication Products Operations at Canon said this in response to the statement that Canon is perceived to be slow in innovation compared to the competition; "Personally, I think we’re slow as well. Every day I’m saying ‘speed up, make it faster!’." One of our themes now as a company is upon developing a new technology, to shorten the time between development and when that technology is introduced into a product. We need to shorten that time. That’s our goal."

Yet this rumor has Canon electing or choosing to wait and push back the 5D4 based on shipments of reasonable numbers of 5Ds/R and/or because 5D3 sales have been holding up well in Europe.

Which should I choose to believe? It clear to me.

Upvote 0
Mar 21, 2013
If any part of Canon is watching this forum, I need you to step up in the video department. Reality is I can't afford a C300 & C500, but release something in a DSLR form factor that has 4K and 1080/120p, and its an instant buy for me.

I can't wait till November for whatever new products. I have a video project that starts in July. NAB 2015 is only a few weeks away, at least do a product announcement and release it late June.

7DC and/or 5DC is good enough for me.

Upvote 0
unfocused said:
DBC said:

[snip - good points well said]

Reading comments from 5DIII owners on this forum, it's clear that getting people to upgrade will not be easy. Like many others, I'm very happy with the 5DIII and it will be tough to convince me to upgrade. I would rather Canon take their time and produce a really compelling upgrade (as they did with the 7DII).

+ 1

I'm hoping that the 5Dmk4 will be related to the 5Dmk3 in the same way the 11-24 IS USM is to the nearest similar lens. :)

Upvote 0
[/quote]

+ 1

I'm hoping that the 5Dmk4 will be related to the 5Dmk3 in the same way the 11-24 IS USM is to the nearest similar lens. :)
[/quote]

yes DAVID
an innovation/feature leap... well said....
no one will get an 11-22 out for a while...if at all...it is like a moon shot ...IMO
I may skip it... not decided.. but trying it ...11 mm.......... will be a new experience.....maybe irresistible...

I would prefer a 5d4 w/lower pixels/2 stop higher iso and dynamic range beyond 5d3....
if it is not AT LEAST 1 stop better than 5d3...at the standard $3500........I am out...
I may require..... 1.5 stop betterment... depends on other stuff
also servo/lit active focus point fix/redesign is a requirement for me... if not solved...I am out..

might as well throw in a 135 f2 I.S while I am being stubborn... will go sigma there if they arrive sooner..
that might be over ridden by a new long macro/or the rumored new ideas there..

I would buy 200 f2 II ... if it were in front of me....today......

canon never listens to/answers my prayers...so I am losing faith

where is the mirrorless 'moonshot' ?...... maybe....one that can adapt to my current lenses...

I am so spoiled...... I am going to my room to sulk...

Upvote 0

ClickIt_AC

Shoot First... ask questions later!
Dec 11, 2013
Yorkshire
www.alamy.com
ClickIt_AC said:
unfocused said:
DBC said:

A more logical and likely strategy: 5DIII sales indicate that the market is still strong for the current model. Canon has to be confident that there will be sufficient demand for a 5DIV before bringing it to market.

Market saturation means that the primary customers for a 5DIV are existing DSLR owners, including 5DIII owners. Therefore, the feature set has to be robust enough to prompt current owners to upgrade.

Canon isn't just sitting around with a new model on the shelf gathering dust, they are no doubt tweaking the technology and feature set and then running field tests and focus groups to hit the sweet spot that will prompt people to upgrade.

Hmmm... getting 5D3 owners to upgrade not easy you say... you mean like getting a 7D owner to upgrade? Well that's easy, a simple firmware update should put paid to any reluctance there!! My 7D was screwed (technical term) when I upgraded firmware for my wireless grip and with no way of reversing the upgrade I either upgrade to 7DII or continue to have a great time overcoming the resultant AF issue. Remember the original post also says 'firmware updates for other models'... beware! or am I being too cynical? ::)

Upvote 0
that1guyy said:
I hope 4k is not just crappy 8 bit with S___ dynamic range and codec. Give us 10 bit 4:2:2 with at least 12 stops of DR and XAVC codec. Need a flat profile too.

I agree. 10 bit, 4:2:2. The 5DIII can do 8 bit, 4:2:2 to the HDMI port. So it seems that 10 bit should be in scope. I definitely want external recording capability.

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
gsealy said:
that1guyy said:
I hope 4k is not just crappy 8 bit with S___ dynamic range and codec. Give us 10 bit 4:2:2 with at least 12 stops of DR and XAVC codec. Need a flat profile too.

I agree. 10 bit, 4:2:2. The 5DIII can do 8 bit, 4:2:2 to the HDMI port. So it seems that 10 bit should be in scope. I definitely want external recording capability.

you want .. then go and buy ... a proper camcorder. Or a Sony A7s.

Upvote 0