EOS 5D Mark IV Mentioned [CR1]

AvTvM said:
gsealy said:
that1guyy said:
I hope 4k is not just crappy 8 bit with S___ dynamic range and codec. Give us 10 bit 4:2:2 with at least 12 stops of DR and XAVC codec. Need a flat profile too.

I agree. 10 bit, 4:2:2. The 5DIII can do 8 bit, 4:2:2 to the HDMI port. So it seems that 10 bit should be in scope. I definitely want external recording capability.

you want .. then go and buy ... a proper camcorder. Or a Sony A7s.

I have three camcorders. I use the 5DIII with different lens depending on the situation and what I want to accomplish.

Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
Canon Rumors Premium
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
Yes, there are so many 5D III bodies out there and the oldest is what? 2-3 years? That could easily hinder the pro market from upgrading soon. I can understand that being in the thought process mixture. PLUS they still sell well, especially with the recent price drop. 22 vs 28 MP doesn't seem too big a step up if file size is your problem. But, for people who use this camera for its intended use, I think 28MP is a really perfect balance between say, a 20.2 6D and a 50MP 5Ds for studio work. 28MP means I'll have about 30% more cropping ability, which is great for nearly any situation. I think we've all had times when we couldn't get things framed from the get-go the way we would have ideally preferred. I just did about 20 hours this weekend shooting competition dancers in studio, and even then, it's really hard to maximize how many pixels you can get on them. I tend to shoot more wide than otherwise needed because when they leap, they can easily go out of frame and it's much harder to get that perfect shot recreated than it is to crop. (Was using my 5D III). 9FPS now that would be something.... and that's the only part of this that makes me wonder. That seems to be getting awful close to 1DX speeds, unless of course the new 1DX DOES have that rumored new killer shutter that can blast 15FPS in its sleep. A 5DIV with these specs might make me think twice about a 1DX2, because I've used the 1DX on dance recitals and assuming the new 5D4 essentially has that same AF system... hmmm. Again if the new 1DX2 arrives with some obscene new AF with points edge to edge ... yeah I'm done and I'll be light $7500 shortly after it's announced.

Upvote 0
cmh716 said:
28mp, 9FPS, Built-in wireless flash transmitter, GPS, 7DMII AF for video and photo, 4k video, dual memory card slots of the same format whatever that may be, better DR & ISO all under $4k. I can dream right? Oh, throw in WiFi too because it should be there in a $4k camera.

I'd buy that. I don't need it, but that package ticks all the boxes for me.

Nervana would be if there could be some way to get SMPTE time code into a 5D4 so that I could sync it with the 4k video camera I'm currently saving for.

Upvote 0
gsealy said:
that1guyy said:
I hope 4k is not just crappy 8 bit with S___ dynamic range and codec. Give us 10 bit 4:2:2 with at least 12 stops of DR and XAVC codec. Need a flat profile too.

I agree. 10 bit, 4:2:2. The 5DIII can do 8 bit, 4:2:2 to the HDMI port. So it seems that 10 bit should be in scope. I definitely want external recording capability.

In video cameras 10bit 4:2:2 video with XAVC is a feature combo only found on high end professional video cameras.

Not sure I would expect that feature in the middle general purpose Canon full frame camera.

As much as I would like to see that in a 5D I'm thinking that would be something for the flagship model.

Upvote 0

AshtonNekolah

Time doesn't wait, Shoot Like It's Your Last.
Canon
Name change, 5DX, GPS, 9fps,35-50.1mp, digi 7, way better ISO in low light, twin machine capable of the R without the filter, night vision focusing successful with the new focusing screen making focusing a thing of the past, 85%-95% cover points on pair with the 7d mk II, same body as the 5Ds and R, Dual CPU's, New censor 4k with better DR across the board. better external ports.

Upvote 0
AshtonNekolah said:
Canon
Name change, 5DX, GPS, 9fps,35-50.1mp, digi 7, way better ISO in low light, twin machine capable of the R without the filter, night vision focusing successful with the new focusing screen making focusing a thing of the past, 85%-95% cover points on pair with the 7d mk II, same body as the 5Ds and R, Dual CPU's, New censor 4k with better DR across the board. better external ports.

How much are you willing to pay for something like this Frankenstein?

Me... I'd be willing to fork out $5k if they could combine all of this in one body... that's almost 3x the price of the 7dii.

I am just gutted that they released a landscape 5Ds without improvements in DR. which means the next cycle is 3.5 years away.... they should have done it right. We don't have the raw's yet, but Canon themselves say same DR as 5d3.

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
Canon Rumors Premium
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
AshtonNekolah said:
Canon
This will end up in disappointment - that I'm sure of.

You can't expect a jack of all trades device and think this will come below $10k.
And Canon also knows that and won't develop it - even if they could.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
K-amps said:
I am just gutted that they released a landscape 5Ds without improvements in DR. which means the next cycle is 3.5 years away.... they should have done it right. We don't have the raw's yet, but Canon themselves say same DR as 5d3.

so the D810 by Nikon wins hands down? Good for Nikon...
Well, I am all for high ISOs, but this looks quite unsatisfactory for everyone who spends 1.5 K USD more instead of a Nikon...with probably better DR...just a guess.

Upvote 0

K

Jan 29, 2015
28MP sounds great. Not too high as to keep FPS high and files sizes reasonable, but a decent increase for better resolution.

9FPS also sounds wonderful. That's a big increase over previous generation. 9fps really moves it into the fast category, rather than 5-7 which is now considered medium.

4K? I could care less, but it will be a must for Canon to avoid being thrashed on the net for the next 4 years.

ISO improvement would be welcomed. Hopefully it will go up 1 more stop for native ISO.

Dynamic Range, ah...the big question and a major sticking point for many haters and Nikon trolls. Hopefully there will be some increase there. I'd be surprised if they could catch up to the Sony sensors in one generation. But either way, not that important - Canon has as good or better DR at higher ISO as proved by DXO. And as stated ad nauseum, being able to crank up a lower ISO shot 4 stops is great for techie-geek wow-factor in post-process pixel peeping, but it still results in a bad photo and isn't relevant for real photography. More DR is better, but there's other features that trump it.

Autofocus - The 5D3 already has an excellent system. Hard to significantly improve on that. Improve yes, but big leap? Unlikely. I'd expect either the same 61 or the newer 65 point system but with all cross type, more dual cross type, more intelligence and probably dual pixel also.

Announced in late 2015? Then released later than that. Add in the backorders and mass rush by bloggers, pros and others - this camera won't be in somewhat normal stock til mid 2016 at best. With that kind of demand, unlikely to see it budge even the slightest from near MSRP prices til maybe the Black Friday sales of Nov. 2016 at best, and I imagine the sale / rebate price will be minimal.

So, those interested will likely have to wait about a year from today if they're on a preorder list and pay MSRP. This could change if Canon wants it released by this Christmas season...I doubt it.

Makes the 5D3 look so much more attractive for a while :)

Upvote 0
As most of 5d mark __ owners are professionals and some of them work with press because it is light and versatile, 18MP seems unlikely for me.
Magazine format is supposed to be around 46x30 cm opened / 47x31 cm with bleeds, wich is 20,33 MP for a 300 dpi image.

Do you really think all those people would go for a camera that wouldn't allow them to deliver a double page ?
Personally, I don't.

I'd rather see a light increasing in MP, to be able to crop slightly, with reasonable file size to keep with production restraints, and better performances in color depth, low light and in DR.

For better usability I would expect :
- 24MP, 26 bits color depth and 15 Evs and something like sony A7s for low light iso,
- along with an even better af in low light than the mark iii,
- 400 dpi display w/ 500 cd/m2
- 16 bit native raw files,
- radio remote flash trigger,
- flash synch up to 1/1000,
- wifi and gps,
- operating temp of -10°c +50°c.

Upvote 0

StudentOfLight

I'm on a life-long journey of self-discovery
Nov 2, 2013
Cape Town
A few honest questions:
1) How many people deliver video in a resolution higher than 1080p?
2) There is so much mention of 4K and/or 1080@60p, but what about an intermediate resolution like QHD (2560x1440)?
3) Wouldn't QHD give some cropping flexibility or the ability to downsample to 1080p without the massive hardware requirements of 4K?

Upvote 0
Feb 28, 2013
that1guyy said:
Why not simple buy a video camera? The EBU have published two different documents that provide guidance on 4K video and the myths manufacturers spin. The 2K / 3.2K Arri Alexa still cannot be beaten for picture quality overall dont take my word for it but production companies / cameramen that have put it as No1 in the professional world over the Sony F65, Sony F55, Red Epic / Dragon, Canon C300, Sony FS-7, Blackmagic Ursa, Aja Cion all cameras marketed as 4K.

Upvote 0
jeffa4444 said:
that1guyy said:
Why not simple buy a video camera? The EBU have published two different documents that provide guidance on 4K video and the myths manufacturers spin. The 2K / 3.2K Arri Alexa still cannot be beaten for picture quality overall dont take my word for it but production companies / cameramen that have put it as No1 in the professional world over the Sony F65, Sony F55, Red Epic / Dragon, Canon C300, Sony FS-7, Blackmagic Ursa, Aja Cion all cameras marketed as 4K.

The Arri Alexa is not a camera one buys. It is a camera filmmakers usually rent on a project by project basis. I am not a professional filmmaker. The specs I am asking for are not high end professional specs, just a step above the utter crap Canon provides. I am looking for a good camera, whether DSLR or mirrorless, that I can shoot stills and video with. There are some options that do both fairly well, such as the Sony A7s, Panasonic GH4, Samsung NX1, and the Nikon D750, which are all in my price range. However, they each have one or more fatal flaws which prevent me from purchasing. I know I will never find the perfect camera for my needs but something at least 85% right would be nice.

Currently waiting for either an A7S mark ii, 5D IV, or some unforseen Nikon dslr with 4k.

Upvote 0
StudentOfLight said:
A few honest questions:
1) How many people deliver video in a resolution higher than 1080p?
2) There is so much mention of 4K and/or 1080@60p, but what about an intermediate resolution like QHD (2560x1440)?
3) Wouldn't QHD give some cropping flexibility or the ability to downsample to 1080p without the massive hardware requirements of 4K?

Only speaking for myself:

1) Not many. I like 4k because I can downsample to 1080p and get EXTRA CRISPY 1080p footage. I can also image-stabilize in post and still have a video that's 1080p. I'd argue that 4k is much more beneficial to people creating content than it is to people viewing content, actually.

2) That would be awesome! Would still allow for what I describe above, although not as dramatically.

3) Massive hardware? You mean like the 4k-shooting, GoPro Hero4 Black that came out in September 2014 and weighs 9 grams more than the BATTERY used in Canon DSLR's?

We need to stop giving Canon a free-pass on their laziness.

Upvote 0