EOS 60D Coming August 26 [CR3]

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

scott

Cyrax said:
I doubt the 60D would have the HDR mode. 60D is geared more towards "professionals" and HDR in the point'n'shoots is somewhat gimmicky.

I am curious how well this HDR mode works. Does it process them completely in camera...into a CR2? ;)

(EDIT): On the other hand, we can look at the old "direct print" button to counter my first argument!

Direct print is great for spot meter and additional ISO on my 400d. ;)

Upvote 0
N

noobie

scott said:
Cyrax said:
I doubt the 60D would have the HDR mode. 60D is geared more towards "professionals" and HDR in the point'n'shoots is somewhat gimmicky.

I am curious how well this HDR mode works. Does it process them completely in camera...into a CR2? ;)

(EDIT): On the other hand, we can look at the old "direct print" button to counter my first argument!

Direct print is great for spot meter and additional ISO on my 400d. ;)

I was thinking the same thing, Canon better bring their A game, there is some really good stuff coming to market...and I hate to go through the trouble of selling all my gear, but if the Nikon proves to be the better camera I may make the switch. :eek: Which sucks because I love Canon lenses. :'(

I really don't like the flip out screen, I though I might but it just looks too cumbersome, but I will wait for the reviews and handle them all before go through he pains of moving.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I'm having a hard time getting my head around some of the comments here.

Would anyone really switch camera systems for 39 autofocus points? Or for 10 fps? I certainly can see the appeal of auto focus in video mode (If I shot video), but from the leaked specs so far, it seems like the differences between brands are likely to represent mainly incremental changes.

Maybe I'm missing something here.

And, if anyone with a lot of Canon glass does decide to switch systems I'm interested. ;)

Upvote 0
D

dmadden

unfocused said:
I'm having a hard time getting my head around some of the comments here.

Maybe I'm missing something here.

And, if anyone with a lot of Canon glass does decide to switch systems I'm interested. ;)

I agree, I must be missing something too. The glass is more important to me than a gimmicky body. Would never switch to Nikon over a fancy body. One thing that would make me switch! Come out with a sensor that gives ISO100 quality at ISO6400. Anything outside of that and I'll continue using my 40d until I can afford a fullframe.

Upvote 0
funkstar said:
hoktar said:
So which one of the news is CR3 now? The one about the 60D or the G12 or the lenses....?
First it's 19th, then 24th and now 26th hope it's final some day....
The time scale might be shifting, but the number of days it is shifting by is getting smaller :D

Yeah, I know, I'm desperate to hear about the 60D and will cling onto anything I can get until any NDA is lifted.

I'm sure the wait will be over by the time Photokina takes place 8)

Upvote 0
Aug 11, 2010
unfocused (and dmadden), I'm going to third that opinion. for example, I know that the 5D Mark II's AF setup and speed is nothing to write home about, but at the same time, I rarely run across any situation where it lets me down and denies me a shot I could have snagged otherwise (and I shoot everything from low light to daylight, landscapes to BIF).

I do think it's worth noting the 'why don't I switch' sentiment has some merit for a novice who maybe has a single, older Rebel body and kit or middling EF-S glass. there's no reason not to ditch that and move to Nikon if they feel the grass is really greener. I personally think it would be bizarre to see someone ditching 10K worth of canon glass to move to nikon, but if you are that person, please let me know.

what I think the more long-time shooters here know (especially guys who have shot both Canon and Nikon systems before) is that there really isn't a huge difference between the systems at this point, the difference is in the photog

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
what I think the more long-time shooters here know (especially guys who have shot both Canon and Nikon systems before) is that there really isn't a huge difference between the systems at this point, the difference is in the photog

All very well said.

I am just thankful not to have to worry about: What film did I put in this camera? Did I change the film speed when I switched from slides to Tri-X? Did I remember to change the f-stop when I went inside? Did I leave the shutter speed on 1/250th when I put the strobe on? Do I have enough hands to get the focus, shutter speed and f-stop all synchronized? Was that developer or fixer I just poured into the tank? Did I get the film on the developing reel right? Did I leave the box of paper open when I turned on the light? (you get the idea)

Upvote 0
dmadden said:
I hear the d80 and d90 are supposed to be the opposing bodies for the 40d and 50d. If thats the case, how is it nikons only go up to 1/4000?
Most of the time ther where no direct opponents from Nikon and Canon. Some specs of the Nikons were better, some others of the Canons. Concerning the shortest exposure time, Canon won the match. ;)

Upvote 0
H

hoktar

Inst said:
60D better have at least 1 stop ISO improvement over 7D, or Canon will be in deep trouble.

Are you serious? I mean, why should this be so bad for them? I very very much doubt it has that improvement.
Canon always goes for more and morea mpix (which is fine with me), they can't just all of a sudden make the 60D have less than the 550D, that would be insane. So the only possibility would be to imrove the sensor or a DIGIC-V and I doubt that very much too, no one would buy the 7D anymore then.

I am afraid all we get will be the flipscreen, which is fu..ed. So that's what I waited for 2 years now, a flipscreen, great....

Upvote 0
hoktar said:
Canon always goes for more and morea mpix (which is fine with me), they can't just all of a sudden make the 60D have less than the 550D, that would be insane. So the only possibility would be to imrove the sensor or a DIGIC-V and I doubt that very much too, no one would buy the 7D anymore then.

I am afraid all we get will be the flipscreen, which is fu..ed. So that's what I waited for 2 years now, a flipscreen, great....
Not always. The 1000D was released with lower MPix than the at that time state-of-the-art 450D. And I remember lots of people appreciating the 1000D for the pixel level sharpness.
The Digic IV seems to be quite powerful. The Digic III didn't last for that much generations of cameras.

However, Digic V would not increase image quality.

People who fancy Mg-bodys and the older style controls would buy the 7D and not the 60D.

Upvote 0
S

Son of Daguerre

Color me curious: has Canon (or, for that matter, any company other than Sony, which has too many models to wrap my head around) ever announced two [or more] dSLR models (ILCs [interchangeable-lens-compacts] not counted) in a single day? ???

Just asking about the possibility of an EOS 60D and an EOS-1Ds Mark IV being announced simultaneously... though I know that's unlikely :mad:

Upvote 0
Son of Daguerre said:
Color me curious: has Canon (or, for that matter, any company other than Sony, which has too many models to wrap my head around) ever announced two [or more] dSLR models (ILCs [interchangeable-lens-compacts] not counted) in a single day? ???

Just asking about the possibility of an EOS 60D and an EOS-1Ds Mark IV being announced simultaneously... though I know that's unlikely :mad:

Rest asure that 60d and 1Ds4 will not be announced at the same time.
For pro camera's we always get a nice teaser by Canon a few days before it's actually being announced.
It will be no different tis time...

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.