Etiquette of Street Photography

passserby said:
ghosh9691 said:
A DSLR is not the ideal camera for street photography. Can it be done? Sure! But it is just too big and bulky and does not allow a photographer to be discreet.

I'm an example of a person that switched from the T2i to the x100, but I don't think the camera changes things that much here. In fact, my best pictures were taken with the Rebel. There are people doing great street photography with Canon DSLRs. Check this guy out: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dirtyharrry/

If you think that buying a Leica will turn you into a great street photographer, you are wrong.

Indeed!

Upvote 0
B

briansquibb

neuroanatomist said:
ghosh9691 said:
A DSLR is much more noticeable and much more intimidating, particularly in close quarters.

Sure it is...but Brian with his 400/2.8 were well outside of intimidation range, which is the point of the 400mm lens...I'm guessing about 150' (~50 m).

This was a nearly full frame shot so I think about 100ft ;D ;D ;D Just set up the tripod with gimbal and away I go.

This is also my setup for landscapes too :D I am not into wa lens as a rule, I dont like perspective distortion which is why my portraits are usually done with a 135 or longer.

I think an 800 might be OTT but a 600 sounds like fun in a busy street - if I go ff instead of 1.3 then this is probably what I will do :D

Upvote 0
spaced said:
Street photography is one of the areas I enjoy - in particular photos of people - however I must admit I always hold back from taking the pictures I truly want to take because I feel nervous about taking photographs of the public.

For example, the other day I saw someone asleep on the metro so out came the camera, but I was paranoid that the guy would wake up or the passers by saying something to me. My heart was beating and the adrenaline pumping - I just took one picture and hoped for the best.

When I looked at the photo afterwards, there were so many ways I could have improved on it if I wasn't in such a hurry.

I guess I'm unsure if we're allowed to take pictures so brazenly of the public (admittedly in public places).

Has it ever happened to anyone where a member of the public has taken offence to having their picture taken?

This is a subject which has bothered me for years, and I'd love to hear peoples opinions: Is there an etiquette to street photography?

Yes There are elements to street photography that could create a confrontation. I was once chased down Fifth Ave. in NYC by a homeless guy for apparently photographing a stray cat he said was his. It was hard to keep any dignity after that!

I think feeling comfortable with the area and having my equipment set for the shot are most important factors to making a shot that I will remember and want to keep. I concentrate on my breathing and quickly take the shot(s) with a smooth natural motion. For some of the shots, I preset the camera (usually with the 17-40 L) and take the image as I move towards the subject(s). For others with the 135mm L or 70 mm - 300 mm - F/4.0-5.6 I take my time and preset where I want the subject to cross the pre-focused spot. I sometimes feign shooting my wife and take my time on the subject I want. She is a great sport.

I have shot in all places but I like the subway because it is loud and I can position my camera on my lap or discretely away from my face and shoot away.

Upvote 0