Mushrooms And Fungi Of Any Kind

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
Firstly: It's just my taste. I'm no expert, and I suppose I prefer "classical style".
Secondly: All photos are wonderful. It's about small details.

Photo 1:
I think I like the mushroom here the most, because of the bottom-up perspective.
The bark gets a little bit too fast OOF, that's irritation my eye somehow. I suppose that a part of the bark much closer to the camera has covered the area directly in front of the mushroom.
The most irritating to me is the BG you like so much. This bright, big V shaped oof highlight is distracting me a bit too much from the subject "mushroom".
Photo 2:
The DOF is more classical and not so extreme than in #1. I suppose because of the angle of view, taking more of the stem on the photo.
Because of that angle of view, there is more green moss in the BG. The BG is a mixture of green moss and grey/brown forest. Nice, but not as smooth as in #3.
Photo 3:
The BG is the smoothest. That slight round highlight at the top left is less prominent than the V in #1.
The DOF is the best IMO, showing some of the moss, but also not too much of the stem.
Therefore, my personal winner.

I hope you liked my thoughts. :)
Thank you for that - yes, very helpful indeed. I should also have said these were 'first cut' efforts from the same day, and looking back at them a couple of days later I can see details which are distracting which I would feel comfortable in removing (I'm a 'natural light' / 'natural setting' sort of guy, so I don't do a lot of manipulation). For eg, in the 2nd one, the out-of-focus fungi under the main fungi could go. And I can easily make the stalks of a couple of them a little cleaner. On the 3rd one, there is an OOF stalk to the left of the fungi which is an annoyance. Let me have a think, and I'll work on at least one of them a bit more ...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
For fungi, or generally? Sydney (harbour included) is VERY photogenic.
The harbor sounds nice! Fungi are always interesting
Lately, I became interested in forests - especially if there is a stream, hill, or cliffs
I've seen photos of groups of kangaroos doing their hopping thing across a sort of grassy desert, but I have no idea where it would be.

Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Lately, I became interested in forests - especially if there is a stream, hill, or cliffs
I've seen photos of groups of kangaroos doing their hopping thing across a sort of grassy desert, but I have no idea where it would be.
"Lately, I became interested in forests - especially if there is a stream, hill, or cliffs and snakes" :)!

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
We actually get a few wallabies (think small kangaroos) around my area, but you'd have to go a little west of Sydney to see the bigger variety! But anywhere around the harbour is great for dramatic scenery.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0