Mushrooms And Fungi Of Any Kind

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
I really like your series. Very nice shots, ISv.
Great shots! Does the last one have a queen ant or is that something else?
Thanks guys! And Maximilian is right - it's a wasp! Here is more (incomplete) info: https://www.inaturalist.org/check_lists/4343378-Wasps-of-Hawaii
The fungus itself looks like Panaeolus antillarum to me (not sure, I took the photo from behind of fence - it was in private property and I couldn't take a close enough look.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Don't worry - there is some (not exactly close) relation between the ants and wasps. Depends on what "wasps" you are looking at: some of them are closer to the ants others are little bit distant (because the "wasp" is kind of ambiguous word). Here we have for sure 2 species of ants that are able to sting (may be more!) - and I'm saying this from position of victim to one of this species (got it in separate +/- 10 times or more). The immune reaction is pretty similar to the one after sting from bee or wasp!

Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Really nice ones. @Jethro. Esp the yellow jelly
One more from this morning (a few mm across):

View media item 360
Sorry but it's definitely not a T. fuciformis (I have thousands of these around)! For the complicated taxonomy of what was Tremela read this (I choose this because it's simple and easy - if you want to go further you will need specialized articles).

Concerning the next photo: this is not a real fungus, they are Mycetozoans. Very interesting form of life. Looks like Lycogala sp. for me, may be a L. epidendrum but I know little about these - sorry!

Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
Sorry but it's definitely not a T. fuciformis (I have thousands of these around)! For the complicated taxonomy of what was Tremela read this (I choose this because it's simple and easy - if you want to go further you will need specialized articles).

Concerning the next photo: this is not a real fungus, they are Mycetozoans. Very interesting form of life. Looks like Lycogala sp. for me, may be a L. epidendrum but I know little about these - sorry!
The jelly is causing a bit of discussion on my local Fungi Facebook page. My latest guess was Tremella Mesenterica, which a couple people agreed with. The latest suggestion was "Possibly yellow form of Tremella fuciformis. You can see its companion with Xylariales sp". Because I've only ever seen white T. fuciformis ...

You'e probably right about the slime mould - when in doubt ...

Edit - and when I look at your Wiki page - the first image that comes up is Tremella Mesenterica!

Upvote 0