Mushrooms And Fungi Of Any Kind

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
The jelly is causing a bit of discussion on my local Fungi Facebook page. My latest guess was Tremella Mesenterica, which a couple people agreed with. The latest suggestion was "Possibly yellow form of Tremella fuciformis. You can see its companion with Xylariales sp". Because I've only ever seen white T. fuciformis ...

You'e probably right about the slime mould - when in doubt ...

Edit - and when I look at your Wiki page - the first image that comes up is Tremella Mesenterica!
I have never seen yellow T. fuciformis - it may get yellowish tint because of dirt or when getting very old. The fungus on your photo is most probably T. mesenterica.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
While out looking for kindling for the fireplace I tried to keep an eye out for any interesting mushrooms. Going by the one large oak truck, I noticed near the base it was hollowed from side to side and in the middle was a single mushroom. I marked the area and came back that evening to get some macro's of that mushroom and another in a side cavity. But I really wanted the 'window' shot and ended up using my older EF24-70 f/2.8 II and a couple of lights the following morning before packing up and getting on a plane.
NF20073-4K.jpg

R5 EF24-70 f2.8L IS II 1/20 : f/20 : ISO 320 @27mm

A small stand of mushrooms at a fallen pine stump.
NF20022-4K.jpg

R5 Laowa 24mm f/14 Probe Lens 0.6S / f/32 / ISO 100

And a small single I found on the same trunk. Tried some creative lighting until my fingers started rebelling in the cold.
NF20051-4K.jpg

R5 Laowa 24mm f/14 Probe Lens 2.5S / f/32 / ISO 400

These were in North Florida and I haven't spent much time trying to research the exact types.

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
This is a quick series I shot some time back and meant to post. I grabbed a short piece of a fallen branch from outside, and this a series taken with the M6 II starting with the full piece at ~0.33x (with the EF 100/2.8 Macro), then 1.25x and 5x with the MP-E 65mm, and the last one is with the camera mounted to a Zeiss Stemi DV-4 stereomicroscope. All of the shots are the full field of view (uncropped), just reduced to 1500 pixels wide.

IMG_1541_reduced.jpg

IMG_1542_reduced.jpg

IMG_1543_reduced.jpg

IMG_1546_reduced.jpg

Apologies to any purists in the thread who object to posting a fungus that's in a symbiotic relationship with algae. Don't ask, don't tell.

Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
I like the last one most, because of the sharpness at and the bg behind the mushroom.
Thank you - these type of pictures are (for me) more about the dramatic compositions and backgrounds than about precision in the mushroom (I'm also handholding a non-AF macro lens on a non-IBIS body ...) - but I do also want a decent amount of sharpness in the target 'shroom. In that sense, I probably prefer the first one.

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Thank you - these type of pictures are (for me) more about the dramatic compositions and backgrounds than about precision in the mushroom (I'm also handholding a non-AF macro lens on a non-IBIS body ...) - but I do also want a decent amount of sharpness in the target 'shroom. In that sense, I probably prefer the first one.
Thanks for that insight.
I think I got your idea of composition in first, and I like that.
And for me, this works best with the 3rd one, not because of the sharpness, but more because I like that bg there the most.
If you want to know what I think in detail, I can tell you. If not, I still thank you for posting and like all three :)

Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
If you want to know what I think in detail, I can tell you. If not, I still thank you for posting and like all three :)
Very interested in your detailed thoughts! The 3rd one, to me, is more of a 'classic' pose (of the target fungi, with a nice diagonal between left and right backgrounds, and the right background is soft and cloudy. I like it a lot. The first one, for me is more 'dramatic, with the left background showing unexpected colour variances.

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Very interested in your detailed thoughts!
Firstly: It's just my taste. I'm no expert, and I suppose I prefer "classical style".
Secondly: All photos are wonderful. It's about small details.

Photo 1:
I think I like the mushroom here the most, because of the bottom-up perspective.
The bark gets a little bit too fast OOF, that's irritation my eye somehow. I suppose that a part of the bark much closer to the camera has covered the area directly in front of the mushroom.
The most irritating to me is the BG you like so much. This bright, big V shaped oof highlight is distracting me a bit too much from the subject "mushroom".
Photo 2:
The DOF is more classical and not so extreme than in #1. I suppose because of the angle of view, taking more of the stem on the photo.
Because of that angle of view, there is more green moss in the BG. The BG is a mixture of green moss and grey/brown forest. Nice, but not as smooth as in #3.
Photo 3:
The BG is the smoothest. That slight round highlight at the top left is less prominent than the V in #1.
The DOF is the best IMO, showing some of the moss, but also not too much of the stem.
Therefore, my personal winner.

I hope you liked my thoughts. :)

Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
While out looking for kindling for the fireplace I tried to keep an eye out for any interesting mushrooms. Going by the one large oak truck, I noticed near the base it was hollowed from side to side and in the middle was a single mushroom. I marked the area and came back that evening to get some macro's of that mushroom and another in a side cavity. But I really wanted the 'window' shot and ended up using my older EF24-70 f/2.8 II and a couple of lights the following morning before packing up and getting on a plane.
NF20073-4K.jpg

R5 EF24-70 f2.8L IS II 1/20 : f/20 : ISO 320 @27mm

A small stand of mushrooms at a fallen pine stump.
NF20022-4K.jpg

R5 Laowa 24mm f/14 Probe Lens 0.6S / f/32 / ISO 100

And a small single I found on the same trunk. Tried some creative lighting until my fingers started rebelling in the cold.
NF20051-4K.jpg

R5 Laowa 24mm f/14 Probe Lens 2.5S / f/32 / ISO 400

These were in North Florida and I haven't spent much time trying to research the exact types.
Was the trunk hollow in the first photo?

Edit: punctuation

Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
The opening went side to side, starting about three feet from where the trunk had gone in the ground. Ballpark estimate the trunk was 20" in diameter at that spot(Our log splitter struggles at 16").
It's quite big! I found one that was big enough for me to squat inside, but no mushrooms and the smell was too unpleasant.

Upvote 0