Extension grip with built-in GPS and its own battery for R5. Wouldn't that be nice?

• Thread starter Deleted member 68328
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 68328

I only do photography while traveling abroad and hiking in remote places, so geotagging pictures is really important.

Among the things that keep me from switching from a 5D to a R5 are:
- I prefer the bigger body; the handling and grip of bigger bodies is preferable and I know I'm not the only one who handles better a DSLR than smaller mirrorless cameras
- The R5 lacks a GPS; I understand that it would be a hit to the battery though

So what if Canon could release an extension grip the size of the EG-E1 for the Canon RP that houses both a GPS unit and its dedicated battery.

That would both add extra size and GPS, without battery issue.

What do you guys think of it?

Mar 25, 2011
Its certainly possible. The optional Wi-Fi grip for the R5 uses one of the batteries for the radio and one for the camera. Of course, it cost almost $1,000.

Even though it might cost less for a RP, I doubt many would want it. I think more buy a RP for its low price but some buy it for its size or both. How many might pay $700 for it while they won't spend that much for a lens?

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 68328

Its certainly possible. The optional Wi-Fi grip for the R5 uses one of the batteries for the radio and one for the camera. Of course, it cost almost $1,000.

Even though it might cost less for a RP, I doubt many would want it. I think more buy a RP for its low price but some buy it for its size or both. How many might pay $700 for it while they won't spend that much for a lens?

I think there's a misunderstanding here. I didn't mean for the RP. The GPS extension grip I'm talking about is for the R5. But its size could be the same as the EG-E1 that Canon manufactures for the RP.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 68328

Would it be worth looking to see if the GP-E2 could work on the R5? It doesn't list compatibility but maybe it would if the code was still in there. But whilst your desire might be reasonable I expect Canon have the opinion that if you want their solution it is the stupidly overpriced and under specced WFT-R10.

The GP-E2 should work, or at least with a firmware update. But it's not an extension grip, so the grip is not improved. And oh boy leaving this on the camera the entire time while travelling/hiking cannot be more annoying.

The WFT-R10 is a wireless file transmitter, it does not have a built-in GPS.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
The GP-E2 should work, or at least with a firmware update. But it's not an extension grip, so the grip is not improved. And oh boy leaving this on the camera the entire time while travelling/hiking cannot be more annoying.

The WFT-R10 is a wireless file transmitter, it does not have a built-in GPS.
Sorry, too much coffee!

I found this, below, it shows the GP-E2 is compatible.

1605034183807.png

Attachments

• 1605034135986.png
    1605034135986.png
    122 KB · Views: 88
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 68328

Sorry, too much coffee!

I found this, below, it shows the GP-E2 is compatible.

Yeah I figured it too in the R5 manual. But yeah definitely not my cup of tea to use this device. The idea was really to get closer to the size of a 5D while gaining the GPS feature.

If the EF lens development wasn't halted, I'd go for a 5D4 (as long as it's still manufactured).

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
I have to be honest and say I am stunned the R5 doesn't have built in GPS! I very much dismissed the function until I got it but now I have it I really like it.

But it looks like linking smartphone data and the GP-E2 are your two options. I recall an early GP-E2 review that seemed to imply it had a compass function in it which gave you angle or direction of shot too, which could be nice if it worked.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Yeah I figured it too in the R5 manual. But yeah definitely not my cup of tea to use this device. The idea was really to get closer to the size of a 5D while gaining the GPS feature.

If the EF lens development wasn't halted, I'd go for a 5D4 (as long as it's still manufactured).
Well I do a decent amount of travel photography and wouldn't hesitate to get a 5D IV, EF lens development might be at a standstill at the moment but it tried and true, very reliable and comparatively cheap with vastly more options.

Indeed I have no plans to drop or migrate my EF system to RF any time soon.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
I have to be honest and say I am stunned the R5 doesn't have built in GPS! I very much dismissed the function until I got it but now I have it I really like it.

But it looks like linking smartphone data and the GP-E2 are your two options. I recall an early GP-E2 review that seemed to imply it had a compass function in it which gave you angle or direction of shot too, which could be nice if it worked.

I can confirm the GP-E2 works out of the box with an R5, no firmware updates needed (besided the 2.x one from years ago). The electronic compass function was dropped in the R line, the R, RP and R5 all lack it, likely the R6 as well, but I haven't personally tested that model with the GP-E2. I liked the compass function, but for proper usage you had to recalibrate it a few times during the day and be mindful of large ferro-magnetic objects like cars, dumpsters, reinforced concrete and other things you find around civilization.

So if I want to log the direction of the shot I have to put the GP-E2 on my original EOS M :)

I'm contemplating getting a GP-E2 clone, a Solmeta GMAX-EOS, for faster acquisition time, bigger internal log and support for non-GPS satelites. Since proper travel isn't in the near future, it will likely stay with contemplation :)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
I think there's a misunderstanding here. I didn't mean for the RP. The GPS extension grip I'm talking about is for the R5. But its size could be the same as the EG-E1 that Canon manufactures for the RP.
Somehow, I thought I read RP in the post. It would be more appropriate for the R5. I keep GPS off on my cameras so its not for me but for some its very important.If I ever wanted the location, I could link to my phone.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 68328

Somehow, I thought I read RP in the post. It would be more appropriate for the R5. I keep GPS off on my cameras so its not for me but for some its very important.If I ever wanted the location, I could link to my phone.
I think I've found a GPS logger that can work several days in a row on its own battery. It could be a solution should I ever switch to the R system.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0