Firmware: Canon releases v1.4.0 for the Canon EOS R5

Dec 25, 2017
I’m doing quite a few tests. I don’t think theirs are worth anything IMO. They do everything IPB. I’m doing All-I with My tests as well as all different IS modes.

I’ve seen that IS off vs IS Enhanced is a big difference. I will post my results here in the next week.

Definitely invest in the Sony Tough Cards tho. Times are better with them than my Sandisk Extreme Pro.

Here’s one test I did though with start temp of 73 degrees.
4K60/All-I / IBIS + ENHANCED ON / Clog3
Stock: 40:41 and then after 5 min. 11:55
MOD: 50:29 and then after 5 min. 15:32

In a real world test, it will definitely vary from turning off and on more frequently.
Thanks for the report! :)
Its not as much of an improvement as they indicate on their site. They describe it like "double" in general... :(

Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2019
I'm having the same results as before the firmware. I've also noticed that the overheat control was removed from the menu.
Update: Airflow was helping my results

Guess it is ambient temperature.

I was just able to record 3 back to back 29:59 4K HQ 24fps clips internally using standard battery in my room at 24c. Did not see the overheat warning at all, only stopped because I got bored.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
I"m not getting technical, but set at 8KD29.27 ProRes RAW video recording a Moog One and ARP 2600. Now 40min in uninterrupted. SSD 2TB says 1hour and 12 minutes left before card change ... WOW.

Fan on Ninja v+ just went up one notch. SSD card is hot, but to be expected.

Well Worth the Wait, just AWESOME!!!
Great news! Hope it comes soon to the Ninja V =)
Can you report how long you could record 8k raw on your ninja V+ in total? Did the camera overheat at all during the day?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Guess it is ambient temperature.

I was just able to record 3 back to back 29:59 4K HQ 24fps clips internally using standard battery in my room at 24c. Did not see the overheat warning at all, only stopped because I got bored.
Mine was 21 degrees Celsius and I got 36minutes, what compression did u use? And what cards are you using?

Upvote 0
I"m not getting technical, but set at 8KD29.27 ProRes RAW video recording a Moog One and ARP 2600. Now 40min in uninterrupted. SSD 2TB says 1hour and 12 minutes left before card change ... WOW.

Fan on Ninja v+ just went up one notch. SSD card is hot, but to be expected.

Well Worth the Wait, just AWESOME!!!
Nice! What SSD are you using? The list of compatible drives is basically the Atomos-connected Angelfire drives and the Kingston server drives. Neither of which are available at reasonable prices where I’m based.

Upvote 0
I think its canons fault, not Atomos.
You get 12 bit 5k RAW though, if you use the crop mode on the canon. (according to the atomos homepage)
Ah, read about the 5K 12-bit but didn’t see mention of the crop. Would you mind posting a link. Bit disappointed with the news, especially given the marketing push. Atomos would have been aware of what was coming through long in advance. Two years if their marketing blurb is to be believed.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Toglife_Anthony

Hit the G.A.S. & pump the brakes at the same time!
Apr 2, 2020
Is anyone's r6 shutter not closing when you change lenses after the last update?
It never has, on the R5 or R6. It closes at power off, and considering that Canon specifically advises against changing lenses while the camera is powered on, they likely would not add such a "feature."

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0