FIXED: Bug in Adobe Creative Cloud Deletes Mac User Data Without Warning

RGF

How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
Jul 13, 2012
Re: Bug in Adobe Creative Cloud Deletes Mac User Data Without Warning

LetTheRightLensIn said:
privatebydesign said:
I remember early releases of Photo Mechanic were set to delete your images, as in erase them completely, if the program thought you were an unlicensed copy/user.

Wow, that's horrendous!

Even if you were unlicensed, they have no right to damage your property. I hope that they were sued for damages and the execs who okayed this, got jail time.

Upvote 0

RGF

How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
Jul 13, 2012

LetTheRightLensIn said:
rfdesigner said:
This is exactly the sort of reason I like stand alone systems.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. "connected" software is too easy to "fix", so it's never fixed as it's never properly tested, because the next update can always fix any problem, which just introduces new bugs.

Adobe needs to pay (yes money) for the damage they've done to users.

But, but it's the magic of distributed computing the cloud! The cloud is wonderful!
The cloud is perfect! It's magical! It's unicorns and rainbows!

Nothing to do with the cloud, except for the distribution method. Shrink wrap, also poorly tested, could do the same thing.

Adobe needs to make good on users who lost info.

Upvote 0
Apr 21, 2015
privatebydesign said:
I remember early releases of Photo Mechanic were set to delete your images, as in erase them completely, if the program thought you were an unlicensed copy/user. Now that was intrusive and one reason I never bought into it.
Whoa, that's unacceptable. In my IT work, I've had copy protection mechanisms malfunction many times. Copy protection from other software and operating system updates or security fixes are a risk of conflicting. Software set like that would destroy my photos if it has a bug or compatibility problem! A Windows 10 mandatory update could wipe you out with no user intervention at all. (for the record, I've never used Photo Mechanic)

Upvote 0

LDS

Sep 14, 2012

RGF said:
Nothing to do with the cloud, except for the distribution method. Shrink wrap, also poorly tested, could do the same thing.

There was a time when fixing bugs after delivery was expensive. If Canon has to recall cameras (or whatever), to fix issues, it's expensive. Microsoft in these weeks had to recall and replace Surfaces power cables, and Apple plug adapters as well. Thereby, usually QA is increased to avoid expensive fixes later.

There may be a temptation with this kind of distribution method, to cut on QA because fixes are "cheaper" - you don't have to deliver a physical DVD is someone asks it - or they may be not if Adobe to avoid a lot of bad PR will have to offer something to the people hit - i.e. a free extension of their subscription. Let's see if Adobe offers just some nuts, or something more substantial.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011

3kramd5 said:
AvTvM said:
"Affected CC users on macs ate asked to not log into the cloud until problem is resolved". Wow, good luck finishing your images from that wedding you shot yesterday! Incredibly helpful, Adobe!

I had no problems finding images I shot yesterday. Not signing into CC doesn't prevent me from running software (or simply browsing the file system).

That's because you can go 30 days without logging in, comments from those who do not use it or know how it works are not helpful.

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight

Hi Mt Spokane.
I think it is not only that those making unhelpful comments don't use LR but that they are not reading the posts as it has been mentioned so many times in so many threads that LR does not stop working the moment you have no internet but carries on for 30 days, although I don't use LR I think I read that it doesn't even stop working after the 30 days (or cancelling ones subscription) but continues to function at a much reduced level.
If it were my files that were deleted by an update I would expect some kind of recompense from the software supplier whether subscription or perpetual licence, time will tell if Adobe steps up to address the fact that recovering the deleted files will have cost most people some time and no doubt quite some stress, which is possibly more important than the time.

Cheers, Graham.

Mt Spokane Photography said:
That's because you can go 30 days without logging in, comments from those who do not use it or know how it works are not helpful.

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011

Mt Spokane Photography said:

Just make sure, you have set all deeply hidden Lightroom uncreative cloud settings so that it does NOT log in to that uncreative cloud automatically, sucks down the "update" and starts random deleting files on your Mac! :p ::)

Upvote 0