Follow-up poll: If you're not buying a 5D3 due to price....

....would you describe yourself as?

• An APS-C user looking to upgrade to full-frame

Votes: 30 50.8%
  • A full-frame user that still finds the price too expensive

Votes: 15 25.4%
  • A multi-sensor (1.6, 1.3, and/or FF) format user that still finds the price too expensive

Votes: 14 23.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
This isn't meant to be an poll where the full-frame elitists and APS-C users stricken with an inferiority complex to duke it out. Whether someone is a hobbyists or pro is entirely irrelevant to this poll as well. It just seems like people either really love their 5D3, or are calling bloody murder about the price. I've noticed many of the people that love it were already shooting full-frame, while those discontent about the price are often current APS-C users. My observations could be completely out of line, which is why I'm posting this poll out of curiosity.

Personally, as the owner of a 5D3 that came out of the very first batch, I obviously felt it was worth the price. However, if I were an APS-C user, I completely understand why some people are upset about the price. If that were the case, I'd probably just buy a 5D2, or if I couldn't bear the thought of dealing with such a pathetic AF system and lethargic frame rate, I'd pick up a D600 if it does indeed materialize at the rumored specs and price.

dr croubie

Too many photos, too little time.
Jun 1, 2011
I bought my 7D instead of the 5D2 a few years ago, basically due to the price. I would have loved the 5D2 for the FF sensor and low-light, but after I bought the 7D I discovered a love of wildlife, and got the 70-300L just after release. If I'd gone the 5D2 to begin with, I wouldn't have been able to afford as good a glass kit.

Now, I'm finding myself doing a lot more indoorsy-event-type stuff, for which the 5D2 or 5D3 low-light capabilities would be perfect. But i'm happy with the shots I'm getting from my 7D at iso1600. It's all for fun not money so I can't justify dropping even $2500 (and sell the 7D) to get a 5D3. So 7D is where I'm at for another year at least.

Upvote 0
B

briansquibb

wickidwombat said:
briansquibb said:
None of the above

But because:

- No support by PW
- No AF point metering

I shoot theatre 2 or 3 times a month with no flash, so I might buy one because of the silent shutter
not to mention seriously good high iso

Theatre is well lit so the 1D4 + 200 f/2 trundles along at less than iso 3200 without an issue

Upvote 0
briansquibb said:
wickidwombat said:
briansquibb said:
None of the above

But because:

- No support by PW
- No AF point metering

I shoot theatre 2 or 3 times a month with no flash, so I might buy one because of the silent shutter

Theatre is well lit so the 1D4 + 200 f/2 trundles along at less than iso 3200 without an issue

the 1D4 has silent shutter, not super quite but not the machine gun stacato of it at full noise

Upvote 0
B

briansquibb

wickidwombat said:
briansquibb said:
wickidwombat said:
briansquibb said:
None of the above

But because:

- No support by PW
- No AF point metering

the 1D4 has silent shutter, not super quite but not the machine gun stacato of it at full noise

In a theatre it is still too loud even using single shot. I would be interested in knowing if the 5DIII is quieter

Upvote 0
B

briansquibb

wickidwombat said:
i'll do some sound clips of the 5Dmk3 vs the 1Dmk3 if you like the 1D mk3 sounds exactly the same as the 1Dmk4 it sounds like its sneezing, the 5dmk3 is quieter I dont have a DB meter to get quantative comparisons
there doesnt have to be very much ambient noise to completely mask the sound.

Thanks - I would appreciate that

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
7D user. I would prefer to ADD a FF body to my setup. I do not want to sell the 7D, because I like the reach of APS-C.

As far as 5D3 goes: yes, "in principle" it is attractive. 22 MP and 6fps are plenty for my use. It even uses the same batteries and charger as my 7D [I consider that a major convenience plus, although it does nothing for image quality]. I appreciate the fact that radio-wireless speedlites are now available from Canon. And overall I am more comfortable with the UI of Canon DSLRs than Nikons plus I got a bit of nice glass [EF-S and EF/L] ...
-> so I do not really WANT to switch brands.

BUT ...

on the other hand, the 5D3 is absolutely nothing more than a 5D2 with an appropriate AF system finally added. Sensor itself is only a minor improvement. Important features that could be implemented dirt cheap in firmware are still omitted (e.g. a really useful Auto ISO function, to name jus one). So I do not see ANYTHING that justifies a higher price for the 5D3 than for a 5D2. So ... I would be prepared to pay for a 5D3 ... up to 2.500 USD/€. This would also be a fair price realtive to the somewhat better Nikon D800.

There is no way, I will ever pay one cent more for a 5D3 than Nikon is charging for the D800. As a matter of fact, if the coming D600 also bests the 5D3 in DR and costs even less, then that price (1500-2000) will be my new upper price limit for the 5D3.

And IF Nikon brings out a "true killer" crop D400 that bests the 7D (or 7D II) in a big way, especially in terms of DR - then I will probably switch to nikon with a D400 + D600 dual body setup plus holy trinity in lenses and be done with Canon for many years.

Upvote 0
Apr 24, 2012
AvTvM said:
on the other hand, the 5D3 is absolutely nothing more than a 5D2 with an appropriate AF system finally added. Sensor itself is only a minor improvement. Important features that could be implemented dirt cheap in firmware are still omitted (e.g. a really useful Auto ISO function, to name jus one). So I do not see ANYTHING that justifies a higher price for the 5D3 than for a 5D2. So ... I would be prepared to pay for a 5D3 ... up to 2.500 USD/€. This would also be a fair price realtive to the somewhat better Nikon D800.

There is no way, I will ever pay one cent more for a 5D3 than Nikon is charging for the D800. As a matter of fact, if the coming D600 also bests the 5D3 in DR and costs even less, then that price (1500-2000) will be my new upper price limit for the 5D3.

And IF Nikon brings out a "true killer" crop D400 that bests the 7D (or 7D II) in a big way, especially in terms of DR - then I will probably switch to nikon with a D400 + D600 dual body setup plus holy trinity in lenses and be done with Canon for many years.

My feelings exactly.
But I could also do with a D7100.

Upvote 0
Albi86 said:
AvTvM said:

My feelings exactly.
But I could also do with a D7100.
wow. exactly the same as i feel. I would pay 2500 in a heartbeat for the 5DIII. I have played with it a few times and it is great. But as said above.... given the overall tone of reviews I have read(majority very pro D800,) I would definitely not pay more for the 5DIII than D800. With the price of the new 24-70 II and the 5DIII i'm holding out and will probably buy the D600 if it is a FF similar to the D7000 for under 2000.

Upvote 0
AvTvM said:

I upgraded from 7D to 5D3. The price here was (2 month ago) around US$3,000. And it's even slightly cheaper that D800 price, probably due to the D800 price increase.

Upvote 0
I just bought a 5D3, and still have my 60D.
Quite an upgrade for me, and I'm very happy.

I got good results from my 60D, but the 5D3 is similar to use, just better in every sense.
I can still evenuse my Tokina 11-15 from 15mm and up, and wow, is it wide!

Even my 24-105 is more useful now on a FF than a crop too.

The new focussing system is fantastic, and the exposure and colours are just so much better too.
Far less processing to do when you do a job and take over 500 photos in a night.

Upvote 0
I got a 5D3 at the weekend. I was travelling to Europe to visit a friend anyway so picked it up there to save over £300 from the UK price.

It's still an expensive bit of kit at £2600 but I've been waiting for this camera for over a year and I wasn't about to let another year pass waiting for a possible entry level full frame or 7D2 and sticking with a crop. You only live once!

Putting the money into it has made me determined to master the camera and attempt to make some money out of photography. I'm hoping this step up raises my game.

It's worlds apart from my 450D - I'm no longer scared of poor light conditions with or without a flash.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
Being an amateur 5D Mark II user that uses the camera mostly for landscapes I find the 5D mark III not worth the money at all.

Apart from the obvious improvements in AF, fps and (less so in) noise I think it has introduced some drawbacks too.

1. Not an easily user replaceable screen! What were they thinking? They could have used the same screens as in 5D Mark II and let people use third party if they desire so. For example I use Canon's grid screen for now.

2. Unless someone convinces me otherwise I suspect it has stronger AA filter hence the problems in all but Canon software and the recent corrections in Canon's DPP. But adding PP sharpening does not seem the same as being sharp in the first place.

3. No Magic Lantern (for now)... OK this is not Canon't fault obviously but I mentioned it for completeness...

Upvote 0

RLPhoto

Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
Mar 27, 2012
San Antonio, TX
www.Ramonlperez.com
I use crop and FF bodies. Both are great at what they do, but 3500$ for a 5D3 plus the support it will need will be too expensive for me to justify over my aging, die hard, 5Dc.

5D3 - 3500$
Windows 7 Pro retail - 250$
RAM to run Win7 - 200$
Lightroom 4 to process RAW files - 150$

Total for moving to a 5D3
4100$ + Tax.

Ouch. Too much $$$$ for what i offers compared to just 1700$ for a MK2.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.