free upgrade to Windows 10 - yes or no?

Mar 27, 2012
LDS said:
drjlo said:
Thanks for the link, but my problem is that Sony ARAW thumbnails are viewable in Windows but NOT viewable when I look through photoshop CS6.

That may depend on what "open dialog" PS uses. If it uses the Windows one, thumbnails should appear - if it uses its own, even if attempts to look like the Windows one, but is managed by PS itself, they may not appear.

And what would be the solution for that..?

Upvote 0

LDS

Sep 14, 2012
drjlo said:
And what would be the solution for that..?

You could try something like http://www.fastpictureviewer.com/codecs/, but if PS "overrides" the "File open" dialog in ways that bypasses some of the Windows features, I'm afraid there's no solution, but upgrading PS.

Did you check if in other applications thumbnails are shown correctly or not? If they do, the issue is really in PS.

Upvote 0
AJ said:
beforeEos Camaras said:
AJ said:
I'm happily running Windows 7 on my PC workstation. Microsoft really wants me to upgrade to Windows 10. I have Windows 10 running on a little laptop, so I'm familiar with it, and I must say I have no preference of one over the other.

Should I upgrade before the July 29 deadline?

how old is your work station? mines way too old to upgrade

Pretty old... about 8 years old I think.
AMD-Phenom-2 X2 550 processor 3.11 GHz
8 GB DDR3 memory

I originally had Vista-64 bit on it, but upgraded it to Win7 home premium 64 bit. The new Adobe camera-raw was incompatible with Vista. Win-7 runs well on my machine.

I own Adobe Creative suite 6. No intention to go on the Adobe cloud, if I can avoid it.
I also have MS Office 2010

I found that quite sad by Adobe. Considering Win 10 / 8 /7 are all variants of the Vista 64 OS...I don't see why Adobe felt the need to block Vista users.

Upvote 0

LDS

Sep 14, 2012
GMCPhotographics said:
I found that quite sad by Adobe. Considering Win 10 / 8 /7 are all variants of the Vista 64 OS...I don't see why Adobe felt the need to block Vista users.

For the matter, they are all variants of Windows NT, more or less... :) The reason to stop support for a given version may be both technical and economical.

Technical, if you want to use new features (even some low level ones that won't be much visible to users), economical if you believe QA - you have to test each version (home basic, premium, pro, etc., both 32 and 64 bit, on a variety of hardware), find beta testers also - and support for a given release costs more than the sales it brings.

Vista is today used by a very small percentage of users (2.9% in the US, according to StatCounter, even less than XP still a little over 4% !), and not only Adobe is ceasing support for that OS, especially since being perceived as an OS used on old systems which may be also underpowered to run latest software (and would also bring a lot of support requests).

Upvote 0