Fuji Medium Format is coming

LOL. I personally think it is smart considering they will be competing in a less saturated market combined with the fact that they already have a solid portfolio of lens designs and history in MF.

APSC for their compact/light system and MF for maximum IQ. Brilliant.

Let's just hope the rumor about the Fuji system being more affordable than the new Hassy is true.

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2011
JohnDizzo15 said:
LOL. I personally think it is smart considering they will be competing in a less saturated market combined with the fact that they already have a solid portfolio of lens designs and history in MF.

APSC for their compact/light system and MF for maximum IQ. Brilliant.

Let's just hope the rumor about the Fuji system being more affordable than the new Hassy is true.

This is good news/rumor, as I always like fuji body style. I'm willing to spend good $ for MF sensor and some fast primes. Snappy af speed, decent af tracking, eye/face af.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Sporgon said:
OK, I'll make a prediction and whip my arse in Sept if I'm wrong ;)

Fuji won't move into DMF.

This is the same Fuji that has said they studied full frame and APS-C before launching their X-Pro line and determined that APS-C was the optimal size for mirrorless. Now they are going to leap into the shrinking medium format market?

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2011
unfocused said:
Sporgon said:

This is the same Fuji that has said they studied full frame and APS-C before launching their X-Pro line and determined that APS-C was the optimal size for mirrorless. Now they are going to leap into the shrinking medium format market?

When an "icon" camera company can make /sell mf for $9k, I strongly believe we soon will see others to follow. There is nothing wrong with healthy competition in technology.

Upvote 0
Feb 8, 2013
unfocused said:
Sporgon said:

Sony wasn't offering a 44mm sensor back then.
For a consumer level mirrorless body they're probably right about APS-C (the whole angle of incidence thing). Maybe it all balances out in the end, but the APS-C sensor will always be an order of magnitude cheaper.

If you're making a high end product, then the sensor costs aren't so much of a concern. Ok, really I'd bet it's mostly all marketing speak, but Fuji is a veteran in this segment so it was probably always on the books, they just needed to wait until it was technically feasible.

And isn't the Medium Format market just shrinking because it's not competetive? As soon as they get competetive it'll be popular. That's exactly what this product sounds like.
I don't really even consider this "Meduim Format" anyway, this is just 35mm+9mm, not even giving a full stop of extra light gathering, Canon can almost fit these sensors inside the EF mount as-is (and I think they should).

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
9VIII said:
...isn't the Medium Format market just shrinking because it's not competitive? As soon as they get competitive it'll be popular. That's exactly what this product sounds like.

The market is shrinking (or rather has already shrunk) because the advantages of medium format are outweighed by the disadvantages.

When photographers shot film and magazines required large transparencies to get good reproduction 35mm was insufficient. Today, even APS-C is better than what used to be available in medium format. Modern full frame sensors are more than adequate for publication and even billboard sized printing. And, of course, hardly any images even make it to print today, most live on the internet. The need for medium or large format has shrunk to just a tiny few specialty applications.

The disadvantages of medium format (large expensive lenses, lack of portability, etc. etc.) outweigh the advantages for all but the most niche of niche uses. So, there is only a tiny commercial market for medium format. Which means that any new player in the market must depend on enthusiasts, of which there are very few with the resources or desire to invest in medium format.

I suppose in a strict sense, you are correct that the market is shrinking because medium format is not competitive. But it's not the price that is the major factor in medium format not being competitive.

Upvote 0
Feb 8, 2013
unfocused said:
I suppose in a strict sense, you are correct that the market is shrinking because medium format is not competitive. But it's not the price that is the major factor in medium format not being competitive.

Lots of people would rather have a Hasselbald instead of an A7RII, if everything cost the same.

I was doing some tests with my 1100D at ISO 6400 and Small JPEG quality. I can barely tell the difference between ISO 100 and ISO 6400, and I usually post things at a maximum of 800 pixels wide due to forum limitations, so a Small JPEG is just about perfect.

Despite this, I still want a full frame camera. Really I'm all wishy washy on the issue and have been for years, I should probably just buy a T6i tomorrow and be done looking at cameras for the next three years, but I know that Full Frame "can" do things that a crop body can't, artistically and technically. Hobbyists will flock toward the new 44mm sensors as soon as they're affordable.

Upvote 0
Oct 16, 2010
unfocused said:
The need for medium or large format has shrunk to just a tiny few specialty applications.
If they put a larger sensor in there, I'd be curious. The ability to get a wider field of view with a narrower depth of field would be the main attraction (ie replicating the look I get from film medium format cameras). I don't know if that's a speciality application or not.

Upvote 0
Honestly, since they don't already have a full frame lens lineup, it sounds like a great idea! Canon/Nikon would be in a bad place to do so having thrown so much money into their full frame lineups. Sony could do the same as Fuji, given they only have a half a dozen lenses anyways.

As to MF not being competitive, it would be if it weren't for the cost and because of features, lens lineup, etc.. Honestly. If you had the choice of full frame or MF, and didn't already have a lens commitment to either, and the two were identical in price and features, which would you choose?

Upvote 0
As Fuji currently make MF lenses for Hasselblad, they would have a ready-made range of lenses (with some cosmetic changes naturally) and Fuji like to be different to other brands, and see themselves as makers of upscale and technically advanced cameras, so a MF mirrorless would be a good fit for them.

I think the new Hasselblad will be huge seller for them and from the initial press reaction, I'm sure all the camera companies are following it closely.

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2011
Bennymiata said:
As Fuji currently make MF lenses for Hasselblad, they would have a ready-made range of lenses (with some cosmetic changes naturally) and Fuji like to be different to other brands, and see themselves as makers of upscale and technically advanced cameras, so a MF mirrorless would be a good fit for them.

I think the new Hasselblad will be huge seller for them and from the initial press reaction, I'm sure all the camera companies are following it closely.

I agree. The price tag will drive the market and that new x1d seems attractive in every aspects - size, ergonomic and price.

Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2013
9VIII said:
unfocused said:

Lots of people would rather have a Hasselbald instead of an A7RII, if everything cost the same.

I was doing some tests with my 1100D at ISO 6400 and Small JPEG quality. I can barely tell the difference between ISO 100 and ISO 6400, and I usually post things at a maximum of 800 pixels wide due to forum limitations, so a Small JPEG is just about perfect.

Despite this, I still want a full frame camera. Really I'm all wishy washy on the issue and have been for years, I should probably just buy a T6i tomorrow and be done looking at cameras for the next three years, but I know that Full Frame "can" do things that a crop body can't, artistically and technically. Hobbyists will flock toward the new 44mm sensors as soon as they're affordable.

I had the original rebel for 9 years and often dreamed of going FF. When I did replace my camera, I bought a 6D - which I really like and have no complaints about. But was it worth it? If I had to buy a camera today and had no existing lenses to put into the equation, I would go APS-C. Unless you are a photographer that really needs a narrow DOF, or shoot in very low light, I see no advantage to FF over crop. I had an SL-1 for a time, and compared shots taken with the 6D and SL-1. No difference when printing up to 8 x 12. No difference on the computer screen. The narrow DOF has actually been a detriment, and I ended up buying a crop sensor camera to do all my flower and semi-macro photography, as well as having the extra reach for wildlife. So, FF was not quite the "dream' camera that I thought it would be. Going MF would be complete overkill for the vast majority of folks. Most will buy it so they can say they have MF, not because it will be the best choice, in my opinion.

Upvote 0
dak723 said:
I had the original rebel for 9 years and often dreamed of going FF. When I did replace my camera, I bought a 6D - which I really like and have no complaints about. But was it worth it? If I had to buy a camera today and had no existing lenses to put into the equation, I would go APS-C. Unless you are a photographer that really needs a narrow DOF, or shoot in very low light, I see no advantage to FF over crop. I had an SL-1 for a time, and compared shots taken with the 6D and SL-1. No difference when printing up to 8 x 12. No difference on the computer screen. The narrow DOF has actually been a detriment, and I ended up buying a crop sensor camera to do all my flower and semi-macro photography, as well as having the extra reach for wildlife. So, FF was not quite the "dream' camera that I thought it would be. Going MF would be complete overkill for the vast majority of folks. Most will buy it so they can say they have MF, not because it will be the best choice, in my opinion.

Some may but I think theres also a viewpoint many have that "I don't print big(or print at all) so nobody does" when the reality is a lot of people still do.

Upvote 0