Full Canon Cinema EOS C200 Specifications

I'm not part of a big production team; then I would use C700 or Red. I'm doing a lot of press-related work; and use the C100 mk2 (or Panasonic DVX200). The problem for me with 35Mbit/s 4:2:0 8bit in 1080p is that more and more assignments are not available (specially for TV-related work). They require minimum 50Mbit 4:2:2 10bit in 1080p - some also prefer 4K, but that is not a real problem for news/press related assignments.

With c100 mk2; clog is nice - and it takes me 10 seconds to apply a layer in adobe premiere with LUT. This also gives me the possibility to handle shadows, highlights and colors in a much better way. Problem with 8bit 4:2:0 is that the adjustments must be very restricted to avoid banding and other issues.

Usually I'm not in control of environment; and just need to document what happens. You can not ask the European royal families to wait because you need to add some lights (or redo everything). Often you work in hard sunlight as well. In these scenarios 10bit 4:2:2 would be really nice. In addition the AF on C100mk2 is very restricted (square on center of screen) when you don't use STM lenses. These focus limitations are gone on the C200. I'm also considering the C300 mk2; but max 30 FPS in UHD; and heavier weight of the camera makes this a less desired option (I often need to carry my equipment the entire day).

So please keep in mind that we are not all working with a massive team and have control of the environment. I do most "run-and-gun-shooting" related to news/royalty/celebrities. We are working on a strict deadline and the material often must be out ASAP.

Upvote 0

leGreve

Full time photographer and film maker omnifilm.dk
Nov 6, 2010
Denmark
vimeo.com
And this is how Panasonic just killed off the C200 before it got started....

http://www.newsshooter.com/2017/06/03/panasonic-au-eva1/

Anyone want 4k, UHD, (60fps) HD and 720p (240fps) in a 10bit 4:2:2 to SD cards?

And ofcourse colors very similar to the Varicam...

Swingable IR filter

Native EF mount

Var ND filter

Dual ISO

FUTURE UPDATE: 5.7K Raw out to recorder....

Thank you C200, was nice knowing you.

Upvote 0
Mar 18, 2015
leGreve said:

LG,

It's great to have additional options, especially with native EF mount. I certainly prefer a native mount to a third-party adapter like Metabones (and others) that only works some times with some lenses.

I find that predictions that one manufacturer's gear will "kill off" another manufacturer's gear are always wrong. It's the drunken boasting of sports fans on the night before the big game.

The C200 providing 4K RAW to C-Fast cards is a huge deal for scripted and long-form work. The cost of a few C-Fast cards is nothing in the greater scheme.
Canon's video AF is also years ahead of the competition. As far as I am concerned, it's the only brand that's good enough to use AF in a set shot (rather than news/doc).
We all know that Canon provides distinctive colours that many people find pleasing. Hopefully that won't change with the C200.

The new Varicam will come into its own in other ways. I don't see SD cards as a significant savings, but some shoestring productions might.
As with other Varicams, it will offer a good selection of slo-motion frame rates. That's a huge benefit in some cases, and of zero interest in others.

I can see myself using one or the other depending on the job requirements. Claiming that one is bad while the other is good is just pointless.

Additionally, the new Panasonic won't be available until the fall. That's a long way off, and future cameras always sound enticing until you try them.

Upvote 0
Apr 29, 2012
Bernard said:
leGreve said:

LG,

It's great to have additional options, especially with native EF mount. I certainly prefer a native mount to a third-party adapter like Metabones (and others) that only works some times with some lenses.

I find that predictions that one manufacturer's gear will "kill off" another manufacturer's gear are always wrong. It's the drunken boasting of sports fans on the night before the big game.

The C200 providing 4K RAW to C-Fast cards is a huge deal for scripted and long-form work. The cost of a few C-Fast cards is nothing in the greater scheme.
Canon's video AF is also years ahead of the competition. As far as I am concerned, it's the only brand that's good enough to use AF in a set shot (rather than news/doc).
We all know that Canon provides distinctive colours that many people find pleasing. Hopefully that won't change with the C200.

The new Varicam will come into its own in other ways. I don't see SD cards as a significant savings, but some shoestring productions might.
As with other Varicams, it will offer a good selection of slo-motion frame rates. That's a huge benefit in some cases, and of zero interest in others.

I can see myself using one or the other depending on the job requirements. Claiming that one is bad while the other is good is just pointless.

Additionally, the new Panasonic won't be available until the fall. That's a long way off, and future cameras always sound enticing until you try them.

The C200 has internal RAW, DPAF with touchscreen control, better ND (10 stops rather than 6) and better colour science

The new Panasonic has a better non RAW codec (10 bit), in body IS, better slomo (240 fps rather than 180 fps) and dual native ISO (I don't know how much of an advantage this will be given that allegedly the C200 is usable up to iso32000)

People will make decisions based on which of those lists is more important to them. They'll both be great cameras - 180fps hd and the choice of internal RAW, xfavc and mp4 is hardly like the c100s 1080p30/i60 at 24mbps, and i say that as some one still quit happily using a c100mki with an external recorder - If the xfavc update does 50mbps 4:2:2 I can see the c200 picking more news/tv work. As it is, the DPAF is a big plus for drone/gimbal work and for wedding and documentary outfits

Upvote 0
HarryFilm said:
"RAW in 10 and 12bit is all good, but RAW is not a very user friendly format for every day filming."

---

I do not see the big deal with filming in
Canon RAW-lite, You buy four CFast 2.0 cards
and rotate every 15 minutes out to your on-set
laptop which converts and outputs your footage
to multiple $150 Two-Terabyte Western Digital
USB 3.0 Portable hard drives using Apple ProRes 4:4:4
or to CineForm FilmScan 4:4:4 in less than 10 minutes
per card and voila you have INTRAFRAME Wavelet
encoded editable master footage which can be
colour-corrected, chroma or alpha keyed and
otherwise manipulated to your heart's delight.

From there, you do your editing on FCP,
Premiere, AVID or Davinci Resolve using
Apple ProRes or Cineform FilmScan and
only output your final production
viewing master or Youtube MPEG-4
or H.265 masters as the last step!

What is the big deal which following
a thought-out process like that?
Are you that strapped for budget and cash?

Seriously! We are looking at less than $3000
of gaming laptop power and four two-terabyte
portable hard drives?

If you're that strapped for cash maybe you need
to go back to working at Starbucks, save some
production funds and THEN film your script.

YES I know I'm on a high horse with my 25 years
of experience, four Canon 1Dc's, a C300 2 5D's
multiple drones and other cinegear whatnot,
BUT Cinema Production should be treated like
a WAR! It's a FIGHT to provide Logistics
(i.e. transport and sets), Arms (aka camera and
production gear), Soldiers (i.e. Cast and Crew)
and C4SIR (Directors and Producers)

You don't goto war unless you've PREPARED
and HAVE all your personnel and systems at
full readiness SO WHY the heck are YOU
doing ANY production without sufficient
resources to execute and finish the task
WELL in an actual Battlespace
(i.e. production set) arena?

Prior Planning and Preparation
Prevents P*** Poor Performance
(U.S. Marine Corps motto)

Warfighters Must Prepare before going to war
and since a Cinema Production IS LIKE A WAR,
you need to TRAIN, PREPARE, EQUIP and FUND
properly your production BEFORE you even shoot
the first second of footage!

Doing ANY LESS is cause for ending up in a
total carnage (financially!) with utter defeat
inflicted by enemies both known and unknown!

Making Movies IS FIGHTING A WAR!
It's a War Against Enemies called
Time, Money, Talent and Technology!

DO NOT GO INTO BATTLE unless you
are prepared to FIGHT HARD with fully
trained and prepared personnel and gear!

Save your pennies first! Harden yourself
for cinema battle and THEN you can
fight the good war for Sundance or
Oscar recognition!

===

So in the case of the Canon C200, this is a great
camera but you NEED TO BE AWARE OF its limitations.
For me personally, I could EASILY use the advantage
of my experience of shooting in Raw(lite) and then
converting to a GOOD intraframe codec (ProRes444 or
Cineform FilmScan) while still onset cycling CFast cards
every 15 to 20 minutes to a laptop. The key is buying
enough USB3 or Thunderbolt portable hard drives so
that you can store all your Raw-to-INTRAFRAME-encoded
video on a daily basis for your entire production run.

For less than $3000 you can do all the above tasks!
So SAVE and spend the money to do that and put the
extra effort into your script, DECENT lenses and
a good editor!

97 percent correct except for $3000 price. It's a lot higher than that. More like $10K. The cost of the C200 fully pimped out is $8K.

Also, to other filmmakers, learn how to edit videos yourself. I wouldn't let another editor do first cut.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
shane.haumpton said:
Just want to share with you a link to Adorama's pre-order unit with 20% off.

I guess this is something worth looking into.

I saw B&H's price and it's still in the 7,5k benchmark.

Hope this helps to those who are interested in buying one - https://www.adorama.com/cac200ef.html
B&H and Adorama are both advertising pre-orders for $7,499, where is this 20% you speak of?

Upvote 0