Go ad-free and more by becoming a Canon Rumors PRO.

How about a "CR Enthusiast" level that's half all those prices and just gets rid of the popup (at the bottom) and autoplaying video ads?
I'm all for that. I've got various equilibrium problems and easily triggered migraines secondary to a brain injury. I've had times when the flashing ads piling on top of each other and the autoplay videos have made me sick before I could get the browser closed. Right now I've only got three ads on this screen; I had six on the last screen. I love this site, and I don't want to be one of those people who whines about something that's free; I think the modest fees requested are more than reasonable.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Rumours not rumors

R6mkII, 2x90D, 630 (film), Sigma 70-200 f2.8 Sport
CR Pro
May 12, 2020
Australia mate (-:
I'd be more inclined to pay for a Pro membership if the site name had correct spelling, after all, "rumours" is the correct English (the language of England) spelling... just saying. Then again, it also annoys me no end when I see the unit of length incorrectly named in Canon User Manuals as "meters" instead of the correct international spelling of "metres".
On a different note, amongst all the kerfuffle about the R5 and R6's video capabilities which I couldn't give a fat rat's clack about, I've noticed very little media attention to the outstanding shutter life ratings on the new cameras, being 300,000 for the EOS R6 and a staggering 500,000-shot shutter life for the R5. That alone means far more to me than all of the video stuff combined.

Upvote 0

bgoyette

CR Pro
Feb 6, 2015
How about a "CR Enthusiast" level that's half all those prices and just gets rid of the popup (at the bottom) and autoplaying video ads?

agree. I’m happy to pony up. But those mosquito ad videos are serious garbage, and I think aren’t good for any site. They discourage traffic. CR has become almost unusable on IOS mobile lately...

Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
I'll admit it. I've been running adblock on this site since forever and have never been bothered by any adverts.

So I've signed up and paid my dues not because I want to get rid of the ads, but because I want to support the work being done here.

Question - will paid-up members be marked in a different way within this forum? I think that would be a good incentive for people to pay to upgrade if it shows who is actively supporting the site. I might even be more polite to them in my replies :)

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
I'll admit it. I've been running adblock on this site since forever and have never been bothered by any adverts.

So I've signed up and paid my dues not because I want to get rid of the ads, but because I want to support the work being done here.

Question - will paid-up members be marked in a different way within this forum? I think that would be a good incentive for people to pay to upgrade if it shows who is actively supporting the site. I might even be more polite to them in my replies :)

Yes, there will be a wrapper around your avatar, that should be ready to go next week.

This was more of a soft launch at a low traffic time to make sure it all worked.

Thanks a ton for your support.

Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Is that an optional thing? I get the appeal, but would not want it personally.

I love that you provide a better option to support the site.

I will make note of that, it's probably not too difficult to give you a checkbox in your profile settings. Good idea, thank you.

Upvote 0

AaronT

CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013

Yep, in the same situation as you. This is one of my go-to sites. I've signed up. :geek:

Upvote 0