GREAT AND CHEAP BATTERIES FOR EOS-M

surapon said:
East Wind Photography said:
surapon said:
These cheap batteries keep calling my name ... but I resist..waiting for more feedback from users here to report on accurate battery level display and total shot count. Also would like to hear about how hot the battery gets when fully charged...and perhaps how hot it gets after a good shoot.

As mentioned previously there is a good reason usually why they are cheap. I am willing to live with short battery life for such a price but not really interested if it takes the camera with it.

Yes, Dear my friend East Wind .
These Cheap Batteries " Halcyon" LP-E12,2200 mAh = $ 9.50 US Dollars call my name out Loud too----Ha, Ha, Ha---Past 3 days, I have use This Cheapo Chinese made Battery = 1 Battery, with 1 Full charge at 2 Hours--And I use up to 15 minutes ago, to shoot every thing in front of me, both single shots and Conti. Shots = 595 Photos, Still have Power to go, ( BUT, The Battery ICON at the EOS-M Camera = Still Full= :))
. Every 20-30 shots, I open and remove the Battery from the Chamber, to check the Temperature of Battery, No, From my hand, The Battery Temperature do not get Warmer---Yes, I am afraid that this HALCYON battery might blow up my $ 299 US Dollar EOS-M----Sorry, My lovely EOS-M still work Fine and my fingers still intact..

Now To night, I remove the Battery and Recharge It, Next 2 Hours---And See, What will happend to my Cheapo Battery next.
I will shoot another 500-600 more Photos by this new recharge Halcyon battery, and use it again tomorrow, And I will report back to you.
YES, IF NEXT TWO RECHARGES OF THIS CHEAPO BATTERY AND WORK AS CHARM LIKE MY FIRST CHARGE = YES, I WILL CALL THE MFG. IN CHINA, AND OFFER TO BUY THE COMPANY STOCK TOO.

Yes, As 64-almost 65 years honor old man as me, and tell you from my heart, This Cheapo Battery make me believe in MAGIC.----Well, If you do not see or hear from me next 2-3 days, I might die because the explosion of rechargable Chinese made LP-E12 battery, That I charge near my desk.
Have a good Monday Night.
Surapon

Now that you have had many cycles of battery charging i was wondering if you had any more insight on these 3rd party batteries and if the battery life is reported properlyy in the camera...

...also wondering if they have burned up yet! ;)

Dear friend East Wind.
Yes, I use Both Wasabi power and Halcyon ( 4 of each brand name) for 2weeks about 3 cycle of charge per battery, It keep the power for 300 to 450 Each shots, Which better than my 2 Canon batteries ( only 120 to 180 Shots)----BIG BUT, This Wasabi and Halcyon batteries do not show the Power in Canon EOS-M LCD. Because No computer chip in the battery ( That why so cheap)----When it no power---Just turn the Camera Off. YES, I must have the spare batteries in my pocket all the times.
That is only Bad Thing after 3 Cycle charge these Batteries----NO, Not thing blow up in my EOS-M Yet.
After the Battery out of Power, IT STILL COLD TEMPERATURE, Not Hot as the stove range----Ha, Ha, Ha.
Have a great Workweek.
Surapon

Ok..for the price i would rather have the run time....i just ordered the Halcyon kit.

Upvote 0

ashmadux

Art Director, Visual Artist, Freelance Photography
Jul 28, 2011
New Yawk
photography.ashworld.com
Grab the nice cheap opteka batteries from amazon. I have two. Great battery life on them. The canon battery is the bastard third leg backup. And i almost never use it.

The canon standard battery is so BAD, that dont even use it as a measuring stick. ITs that bad, and a very pathetic cash grab attempt by canon. I havent seen such poor battery life since my sony p200 7 mp cam back in 2005.

Upvote 0

surapon

80% BY HEART, 15% BY LENSES AND ONLY 5% BY CAMERA
Aug 2, 2013
APEX, NORTH CAROLINA, USA.
DRR said:
Are the opteka batteries chipped? Do they have the battery readout on the LCD?

Dear DRR.
Sorry, I do not know, But 2 Brand Cheapo Battery that I Have 4 Halcyon and 2 Wasabi, I do not think they have chip, because they will not tell me on my Battery LCD indicator ( ?).
Surapon.
Yes, my 2 Canon camera battries have the chips.

Upvote 0

DRR

Jul 2, 2013
surapon said:
DRR said:

Dear DRR.
Sorry, I do not know, But 2 Brand Cheapo Battery that I Have 4 Halcyon and 2 Wasabi, I do not think they have chip, because they will not tell me on my Battery LCD indicator ( ?).
Surapon.

I bought an Opteka battery off amazon for $13. I will report back.

From my understanding - batteries that are chipped, will work functionally just like Canon batteries. The display will tell you battery remaining. You can charge them properly in the Canon charger.

Batteries that are not chipped, will not display battery life on the LCD. I think you can charge them in the canon charger but you also risk overcharging, because it does not have a chip to tell it when to stop charging? (This is all information I read online, so I do not know how accurate it may be. I am no electrical engineer)

In any case, $13 vs $45 for the canon battery seems like a pretty good deal if it offers the same functionality. I will report back when I get it.

Upvote 0
DRR said:
surapon said:
DRR said:

Dear DRR.
Surapon.

From my understanding - batteries that are chipped, will work functionally just like Canon batteries. The display will tell you battery remaining. You can charge them properly in the Canon charger.

Batteries that are not chipped, will not display battery life on the LCD. I think you can charge them in the canon charger but you also risk overcharging, because it does not have a chip to tell it when to stop charging? (This is all information I read online, so I do not know how accurate it may be. I am no electrical engineer)

In any case, $13 vs $45 for the canon battery seems like a pretty good deal if it offers the same functionality. I will report back when I get it.

Actually it's not the same functionality. The Opteka battery will last longer between recharges! ;)

Upvote 0
I decided to give the Halcyon batteries a try, and bought 2 from Amazon here in the UK. They look just like the ones Surapon has photographed, with the same boxes too. They seem to work fine, but I only get the same number of shots as I do with the Canon model (~140). I'm using the Canon charger - could this be why?

I don't know whether they have chips, but you do get 3 or 4 shots warning on the LCD before they run out.

Upvote 0
bainsybike said:
I decided to give the Halcyon batteries a try, and bought 2 from Amazon here in the UK. They look just like the ones Surapon has photographed, with the same boxes too. They seem to work fine, but I only get the same number of shots as I do with the Canon model (~140). I'm using the Canon charger - could this be why?

I don't know whether they have chips, but you do get 3 or 4 shots warning on the LCD before they run out.

You need to use their charger for thr halcyon to get the full charge.

Upvote 0
bainsybike said:

Thanks! A pity - the Halcyon charger doesn't seem to be available in the UK.

Ah. When I ordered mine I ordered the kit. 2 batts, charger and 12V vehicle cord to charge from car battery.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
bauerman said:
Ah. When I ordered mine I ordered the kit. 2 batts, charger and 12V vehicle cord to charge from car battery.

Is this the kit you bought East Wind?

http://www.amazon.com/Halcyon-Lithium-Replacement-Battery-Charger/dp/B00C32SPDW/ref=sr_1_sc_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1393882687&sr=8-2-spell&keywords=halycon+battery+eos-m

That's it. Be mindful that that everything runs down the battery faster (IS, Servo AF, Continuous AF, too long of a display off timeout). It all adds up.

The factory battery is 875mAh. These are 2200mAh. More than double the capacity.

Upvote 0

DRR

Jul 2, 2013
DRR said:
surapon said:
DRR said:

Dear DRR.
Surapon.

Went on a trip last week with the OEM Canon Battery and the Opteka battery.

I did not notice a huge improvement in battery life over OEM, as others may have. Both batteries were mixed use so I can't really say that I did much scientific testing - I did not notice any deficiencies from the Opteka battery either. Charged in the OEM charger, battery display on the LCD, etc. Worked very much like the OEM. They are both very similar weights, so I do wonder if the "2000 mAh" listed on the Opteka might be a bit of an exaggeration.

Regardless, if I needed another battery I'd buy another Opteka. I couldn't tell the difference over OEM and it was $13 vs $45.

Upvote 0
The third party batteries I ordered arrived - pretty happy with the overall quality of the products and they were certainly well-packed. Charging them now and ready to give them a try soon.....

p824258236.jpg

Upvote 0
noncho said:
I don't believe those are 2200 mAh and I don't like batteries which someone sells with different charger (usually they are NOT decoded and the camera does not show battery level).

I got 2 of this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2Pcs-Full-Coded-1250mAh-LP-E12-Battery-for-Canon-EOS-M-Camera-Show-Battery-Level-/170895464586?pt=Batteries_Chargers&hash=item27ca29d88a
They are working fine, I don't see any difference with the original battery.
Hi, any news about dste batteries? I'm going to buy them. How are they going on?

Upvote 0
sama said:
noncho said:
I don't believe those are 2200 mAh and I don't like batteries which someone sells with different charger (usually they are NOT decoded and the camera does not show battery level).

I got 2 of this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2Pcs-Full-Coded-1250mAh-LP-E12-Battery-for-Canon-EOS-M-Camera-Show-Battery-Level-/170895464586?pt=Batteries_Chargers&hash=item27ca29d88a
They are working fine, I don't see any difference with the original battery.

Exactly. I have in hand 3 pieces of the same brand and one piece of their charger. Very nice indeed. But took a long time to come to Toronto.
Are they working good? I'm going to buy them

Upvote 0

surapon

80% BY HEART, 15% BY LENSES AND ONLY 5% BY CAMERA
Aug 2, 2013
APEX, NORTH CAROLINA, USA.
bainsybike said:

Yes, Sir, You are right on the target, Dear East Wind my friend.
Canon Battery charger =Out put 8.4 V , 540 mA= is for Canon battery 875 mAh
Wasabi Charger = 8.4 V, 500 mA= is for Wasabi battery 1100 mAh.
Halcyon charger = 8.4 v , 600mA = is for Halcyon Battery 2200 mAh

Have a great day, Sir.
Surapon

Upvote 0