Hello...Anyone else from the UK?

G

Gadger

Hello all, I'm from South Staffordshire.

Current cameras are in my sig, mostly used for my travel photography and usually when on the high seas some where on a cruise ship, always a new port to stop at and find something to photograph ;D

Due to travel flight weight allowances on the handle luggage over the last ten years getting slowly reduced it's altering my camera set-ups.

I've probably just bought my last Canon lens the 16-35 f2.8 (previously had the 17-40 f4) I've invested in the Fuji range, the X-E1 and lens which I like for portability and photos of course. Looking to add the X-E2 and the 23m 1.4. My Nikon D600 was my jump into the dark side. For a one camera setup for travel, the Nikon D600 with the 28-300 and the 16-35 Nikon lens shooting raw has been a great one camera setup.

I do like the new full frame Sony 7(R) range but as an example below, it's not cut and dry.

Both cameras have the 70-200 f4 equivalents, the sony 7(R) still ends up being bigger than you think. It's all good fun ;D

Any one in the midlands would like a meet up, I live near the National Memorial Arboretum, makes an ideal place to visit for photography.

Gadger

2013-10-19_11-24-27_zpsb913ee02.jpg

Any bad english or spelling - sorry I have the excuse of being dyslexic :-[

Upvote 0
dw2013 said:
Just outside of Southampton. 6D owner...debating whether to get the 16-35L II or the 24-70L II.

Both are fine lenses. When I find I'm in a quandary with two lenses in different ranges...it's becuase I actually need both. So my advise is to get the 16-35IIL and then begin the next save / phase for the 24-70IIL.

Upvote 0

TheJock

Oct 10, 2013
Dubai
Hi folks, originally from Glasgow area (hence the daft user name 8) ) but living in Dubai last 8 years.
Planning on buying a 70D and a 24-105L shortly, also fancy the Sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6 and a 300mm f4L with a 1.4X and a 2X in the future, I think that little lot should serve me well.
I mostly shoot motorsports as we have two very nice tracks here in the UAE (Yas Marina and the Dubai Autodrome) and there’s loads of birdlife to keep me occupied too, a bit lacking in the landscape department right enough!!!
Love CR as everyone’s very helpful, which of course means I too log on with alarming regularity!!!

Cheers

Stewart

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi folks.
I'm from the Isle of Wight, a proper Caulkhead because I know it is not CORKHEAD! It comes from caulking the planks on timber boats with hemp soaked in pitchblende! ;D
I have a special connection with the National Memorial Arboretum, I helped with the fund raising for the first monument erected there! It is the truly impressive polar bear, dad was a Polar Bear 49Div. and went ashore on D+4, he passed away earlier this year. The dedication ceremony was held in what pretty much equated to a ploughed field, it certainly has changed some since then.
I like to go back to the arboretum occasionally, it is such a beautiful serene place.

Just so you know, my nickname comes from when I worked in a factory, the QA inspector reckoned I didn't change gear when leaving the factory in my Triumph Herald until the valves were bouncing, one of the nicer names I've been given!

It would be great to meet up with any locals, or visitors holidaying here, for a chat or if your visiting point you in the right direction for some sightseeing!

Cheers Graham.

Gadger said:
Hello all, I'm from South Staffordshire.

Current cameras are in my sig, mostly used for my travel photography and usually when on the high seas some where on a cruise ship, always a new port to stop at and find something to photograph ;D

Due to travel flight weight allowances on the handle luggage over the last ten years getting slowly reduced it's altering my camera set-ups.

I've probably just bought my last Canon lens the 16-35 f2.8 (previously had the 17-40 f4) I've invested in the Fuji range, the X-E1 and lens which I like for portability and photos of course. Looking to add the X-E2 and the 23m 1.4. My Nikon D600 was my jump into the dark side. For a one camera setup for travel, the Nikon D600 with the 28-300 and the 16-35 Nikon lens shooting raw has been a great one camera setup.

I do like the new full frame Sony 7(R) range but as an example below, it's not cut and dry.

Both cameras have the 70-200 f4 equivalents, the sony 7(R) still ends up being bigger than you think. It's all good fun ;D

Any one in the midlands would like a meet up, I live near the National Memorial Arboretum, makes an ideal place to visit for photography.

Gadger

2013-10-19_11-24-27_zpsb913ee02.jpg

Any bad english or spelling - sorry I have the excuse of being dyslexic :-[

Upvote 0
Hi

I'm Ian from Lancashire.

I've just finally made the jump into digital photography. I started out with an EOS 600 film camera in 1990 with a pair of Sigma zoom lenses. A 28-70mm f 3.5-4.5 UC Zoom and an 75-300mm f 4.5-5.6 APO. I've hardly used the 600 in the past 8 years or so.

I'd been hankering after a 5D ever since the first one came out. Then the Mk II and then the Mk III. I finally made up my mind to go for it just this summer. So in the past few weeks I've bought a 5DIII along with an EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM, an EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM and a Speedlite 600EX-RT.

I bought the camera and lenses from Panamoz and the Speedlite from CameraInThePost, both companies that send their gear from Hong Kong.

I did briefly try my old lenses on the 5DIII body, but I got lens communication errors from both of them. So even though both Sigma lenses are EF mount, I guess they didn't quite adhere closely enough to Canon's EF mount specs. Good job I'd elected to buy current Canon lenses anyway having been seduced by the rave reviews for both the 20-70 f2.8 II and the brand new 16-35 f4. It does leave me without a telephoto option for the time being, but I can live with that.

I've also invested in a small number of filters. A circular polarizer, a 10 stop ND, a 1-5 stop VND and a 77-82 step up ring, all B+W. Also a 3LT Brian tripod and an Arca-Swiss Monoball P0 head.

So I'm very happy as I'm getting to grips with my new toys.

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi krisbell.
We love Jersey, only get to visit for a short time and probably not this year (2016) but found some beautiful beaches and other areas for landscapes, we also saw quite a lot of small birds in places and a few birds of prey but not much else wild, the zoo however was a good day out and had quite a few wild birds visiting too.
I often get that island mentality thing going, living on the Isle of Wight, it often appears that others have it much better, they can just drive to a better location, however today I went out walking with some visitors from the mainland and saw something I've never seen before, a stote or similar playing in the road as we were leaving, I got a shot but only evidence quality (as in proof I'm not making it up type shot). The wildlife is out there!

Cheers, Graham.

krisbell said:
Frustrated nature photographer living on the island of Jersey here.

Upvote 0
No waaay, you don't post in the Jersey Wildlife and Insects of the Channel Islands groups on Facebook, do you, krisbell? I was in Jersey for almost 6 months from last summer, training at Durrell (Jersey Zoo) and doing a few courses at the Durrell Academy!

I'm back home now, for the time being, in Wallasey, on the Wirral Peninsula, Sunny Merseyside! Someone above mentioned Wakefield; half my family's over there (Normanton and Wakefield) and I frequent the Cairngorms in Scottish Highlands too, my Mum & her husband have wee hotel up on the Speyside whiskey trail, not too far from the Highland Wildlife Park and the RSPB's Osprey Centre :D

Upvote 0