Here’s a list of rumoured and predicted cameras coming from Canon in the next year

Rivermist

Mirrorless or bust.
Apr 27, 2019
Houston
Well put. For some people, the R is good enough to buy, for others not. It is good enough for some use cases, but not all. A lot depends on what your use cases are, and what equipment you have. I have a 5DIV and that is enough for me for right now.
Fair points, let me elaborate on some benefits I see using the RP (so extensible to the R): With the availability of in-viewfinder 3 color histograms, I have very few rejects due to lighting problems as a result of not only exposure simulation but also the histograms. The Fv mode makes managing exposure so much simpler, I never need to go to M or other modes, just play around with the 4 variables. When switching to manual focus (very rare as the DPAF is so reliable) I get an outline of all the in-focus elements in the picture as I rotate the focus ring. The programmable ring is a great feature on RF lenses, I mostly use it for exposure compensation. No mirror slap, I have taken great pictures at 1/10 with the EF IS lenses using adapters, on the 5D using the same lenses I need to use a monopod or more to avoid the tremor of the mirror. Discrete photography mode, hiding the read screen by reversing it, I have full control and some review capabilities in the EVF, making the camera less conscious in low light situations. Some of these points may not be important to other photographers but they are far from trivial to me.

Upvote 0
I gave up on Canon and moved on. Canon doesn't get it, and simply wants to give the market what canon wants, when they want to. While I'm quite happy with my C300-2, I sold off my still camera bodies and moved to Fuji XT3. Totally and utterly don't care about or per se like using "full frame" because its just not worth the extra hassle and problems. S35 / APS C is perfectly good and a real sweet spot especially for video purposes. shooting in FF means stopping the lens down another stop or so just to have a little margin in focus, which means more lighting, or higher ISO to compensate. Not a good set of trade offs.

Upvote 0

rom

EOS R
Feb 2, 2018
Denmark
I actually like the EOS R. It's perfect for my needs (family, vacation and every day life). I sold my 5D mark IV incl. lenses to get a nice complete digital system without mirror. Reverse the screen and its protected, when you put it in the backpack. Fold it out and you have a nice "point and shoot" camera at your hand.
I'm not a pro or earning money by taking photos. I can see there might be some shortcomings compared to Canon's pro line. But for people like me its a better camera that the 5D :)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Exposures are made up of two independent variables.

"Autoexposure" introduces two more variables, but they are codependent.
Please elaborate.

An exposure, as I understand it, is a collection of photons, you can vary the time you take to collect the photons (shutterspeed), you can make the hole the photons go through bigger or smaller to alter the number of photons per time (aperture), and you can vary the number of photons you consider needed for a given exposure (ISO).

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
shooting in FF means stopping the lens down another stop or so just to have a little margin in focus, which means more lighting, or higher ISO to compensate. Not a good set of trade offs.
Amazing that people still don’t have a clue about equivalence. Not a dig at you, just a rebuttal against your very misplaced comment, I’d hate people to think it’s true.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
the 'Fv' mode lets you tweak shutter speed, aperture, ISO and exposure compensation. So 4 knobs for what people call an 'exposure triangle'.
Yes and that is my point. How is moving four things easier than moving three things? Exposure compensation is moving one, or more, of the other three.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Yes and that is my point. How is moving four things easier than moving three things?

From my limited use of Fv mode, I think the point is you can (re)set any of the knobs to auto, so switching from auto-aperture to auto-shutterspeed is a click of the back wheel and a press of a button. So you can 'fake' Av, Tv, P, etc if needed using Fv. Kinda like a poor version of C1, C2, C3.

Upvote 0

Rivermist

Mirrorless or bust.
Apr 27, 2019
Houston
Exposures are made up of two independent variables.

"Autoexposure" introduces two more variables, but they are codependent.
Yes correct but you access Shutter, Aperture, Exposure Correction and ISO in Fv mode. Any of the Shutter, Aperture and ISO can be set to automatic (indicated by a white bar underlining that variable) or fixed at a set value, you do that by moving the control of that variable to the selector. Exposure Correction can also be assigned to the selector, or changed using e.g. the new ring on RF lenses. The RP seems to often need exposure correction, mostly towards overexposure relative to the automatic value(s). Live histogram in the viewfinder is a precious ally in effecting such corrections.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
I gave up on Canon and moved on. Canon doesn't get it, and simply wants to give the market what canon wants, when they want to. While I'm quite happy with my C300-2, I sold off my still camera bodies and moved to Fuji XT3. Totally and utterly don't care about or per se like using "full frame" because its just not worth the extra hassle and problems. S35 / APS C is perfectly good and a real sweet spot especially for video purposes. shooting in FF means stopping the lens down another stop or so just to have a little margin in focus, which means more lighting, or higher ISO to compensate. Not a good set of trade offs.
Hassles and problems.... ok. Some might say benefits and joys

• Haha
Upvote 0
I think the consensus is that professional photographers are already shooting with cameras that fulfill their basic needs (like a 5D III or IV, or a 1DX mark ii), so why rush? They're invested in the Canon ecosystem already, with loads of L glass that will work perfectly on an R body when they want to get one, so what's the hurry? I don't think people really want to switch brands as much as we talk about it happening. It's a pain in the butt to do so.

Exactly, what is everyone's rush? I'm using a 5Div, have all L glass and I'm perfectly happy. Image quality is all I need, honestly the glass is what delivers the images for me, unless you can consistently put up a large print and say oh that's from this camera system or this camera system, which today is almost impossible than what are we really waiting for? What should I switch to another camera system for?

If you're looking for a reason to set off dopamine to get excited about buying something new and setting off your neurotransmitters temporarily then by all means spend your money.

Most important thing for me is that this system delivers what I need and that's all I need. I'm less of a gear head and use my tools to get the job done.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Exactly, what is everyone's rush? I'm using a 5Div, have all L glass and I'm perfectly happy. Image quality is all I need, honestly the glass is what delivers the images for me, unless you can consistently put up a large print and say oh that's from this camera system or this camera system, which today is almost impossible than what are we really waiting for? What should I switch to another camera system for?

If you're looking for a reason to set off dopamine to get excited about buying something new and setting off your neurotransmitters temporarily then by all means spend your money.

Most important thing for me is that this system delivers what I need and that's all I need. I'm less of a gear head and use my tools to get the job done.

You don't have to be a "gear head" or want a dopamine rush to buy an R.

There are perfectly sensible reasons to add the body to your toolbox.

In my case, the R was the tool I needed to get certain jobs done. The "silent" shutter on the 1Dx II is simply too loud in some situations. I needed a body I could pair with the 5DIV for those cases where I need to be unobtrusive while shooting. After renting an R, I found I really liked some of the other features (The ability to move focus points anywhere using a simple thumb swipe and the ability to change ISO using the control ring are two examples.) Would I use it to shoot sports, when I've got the 1Dx? No. But, would I be interested in a true 1D mirrorless to replace the 1DX II? Absolutely.

Upvote 0