Here’s a list of rumoured and predicted cameras coming from Canon in the next year

Apr 25, 2011
Please elaborate.

An exposure, as I understand it, is a collection of photons,
There is some confusion because in photography, two different things are called "exposure".

What you describe is photometric exposure, and it's just one variable. What's even worse, it's different for different parts of the sensor, depending on which scene you are shooting.

What I describe is two-variable camera exposure, the amount of time (shutter speed) and solid angle (aperture) you want your sensor to expose to photons from. It can be combined into a single exposure value (EV), which can be used to convert scene luminance into photometric exposure of the sensor.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
We definitely don't need to disparage somebody for buying the R, as some of the posts here seem to be doing. (That said, when somebody for months declares they have all the gear they need, their wife won't let them buy more, they don't have the money...And then suddenly goes all in on the R and lenses, a little good natured teasing seems inevitable. And deserved! :D )

But how many enthusiastic photographers would be buying the R body if not for the rf 50mm f/1.2L, the massive 28-70mm f/2L, or the newest 85mm 1.2L? A few, I suppose, but harder to understand if a 5DIV or something similar is already in the gear bag.

If somebody is intrigued by the R, wants the lenses RIGHT NOW, or just thinks the R is the future, forget about legacy EF, enjoy, do the early adopter necessities for the rest of us, and please start sharing more samples! :)

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Whatever the full pro version of the EOS R is.
Hoping for 36 MP BSI
IBIS
7+ FPS in all AF Scenarios

Don't really care for anything else.
I think a lot of people are merging the "RS" and the "RX" bodies in their minds.

I would not expect the "RX" to have 36MP. I would not be at all surprised if it has the same or similar MP as the "R," but with a higher frame rate, autofocus improvements, more robust build, 1D battery, etc., that differentiates the 1 series from the 5 series in DSLRs. It will probably share the same sensor as the 1DX III. Simply moving from 20 to 30 mp would be an impressive leap.

The "RS" is almost certainly going to exceed the 50 mp of the 5D s.

I also expect that the "RS" will have IBIS, but I'm not counting on the "RX" having it. Canon may not feel comfortable putting IBIS in a body that has to be bombproof.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
We definitely don't need to disparage somebody for buying the R, as some of the posts here seem to be doing. (That said, when somebody for months declares they have all the gear they need, their wife won't let them buy more, they don't have the money...And then suddenly goes all in on the R and lenses, a little good natured teasing seems inevitable. And deserved! :D )

But how many enthusiastic photographers would be buying the R body if not for the rf 50mm f/1.2L, the massive 28-70mm f/2L, or the newest 85mm 1.2L? A few, I suppose, but harder to understand if a 5DIV or something similar is already in the gear bag.

If somebody is intrigued by the R, wants the lenses RIGHT NOW, or just thinks the R is the future, forget about legacy EF, enjoy, do the early adopter necessities for the rest of us, and please start sharing more samples! :)
I doubt that all that many sales are motivated specifically by the RF f2 zooms or the RF f1.2 primes. The top end RF lenses may be a factor for some, but I suspect that for most the decision is more motivated by the belief that the R or the RP delivers on the use cases that are important to them, along with the desire to start exploring Canon's FF mirrorless equipment.

Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
Amazing that people still don’t have a clue about equivalence. Not a dig at you, just a rebuttal against your very misplaced comment, I’d hate people to think it’s true.

Eh...there are situations where you give up most/all of the FF light gathering advantage for DoF. You're never at a disadvantage but you don't always get the full advantage either.

APS-C is a very capable format but I don't totally agree with Steve Oakley. When you can take full advantage of the light gathering capability of FF the low light IQ is phenomenal. And high resolution FF (42/45/50mp) is a joy to work with. FF can definitely deliver higher IQ. But we've come so far in digital tech that for most use cases APS-C is quite capable of getting the job done.

Still, as cool as the Fuji system is, it wouldn't necessarily pull me from Canon for stills even if I was APS-C only. Video however...I've mentioned before that I'm tempted to add Fuji for video.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Amazing that people still don’t have a clue about equivalence. Not a dig at you, just a rebuttal against your very misplaced comment, I’d hate people to think it’s true.
Isn’t it fun when people don’t understand the trade offs, but also don’t even bother to question the fact that having choices is generally better than not having them?

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Whatever the full pro version of the EOS R is.
Hoping for 36 MP BSI
IBIS
7+ FPS in all AF Scenarios

Don't really care for anything else.

i was surprised to learn yesterday about a recent firmware update further boosting FPS for photography, plus improvement for face or eye tracking in video mode.

Upvote 0
Isn’t it fun when people don’t understand the trade offs, but also don’t even bother to question the fact that having choices is generally better than not having them?
Absolutely agree. I ran 1.6x crop and Full frame along side each other for a number of years. So I could lever the advantages of both. The 1.6x crop stuff is lighter and generally smaller for the same equivalence and that's a consideration too. The Full frame stuff is generally brighter with less reach...but that is mostly seen in the low light abilities and Iso values.
Today we have abundant choices...and not one system to rule them all. I feel the same way about the Rf mount. It's a choice, not a dominant dictate.
It's amusing to me that the current rumored / confirmed camera bodies on this thread announcement are all DSLR and not mirrorless. As long as the X0D, 5D and 1D series continue to sell well then there is a future fro them. In the mean time...it would be nice to have a Rf camera body that's worthy of the EOS name and not the two weird oddities that we currently have.
I would very much like a 5D4 Rf body to add to my shooting options....but the Eos R is a far cry from that.

Upvote 0
Are we doomed now, or not yet? :) https://www.dpreview.com/news/7747501993/sony-introduces-a7r-iv

• World's First 35mm Full-Frame 61.0 MP Image Sensor
  • 15-stop Enhanced Dynamic Range
  • 5-axis Optical In-body Image Stabilization
  • 10 fps Shooting with Full AF / AE Tracking
  • 567 Phase-detection AF Points, 74% Coverage
  • Real-time Eye AF for Still / Movie / Human / Animal
  • Real-time Tracking
  • 5.76 million dot UXGA OLED Viewfinder
  • Upgraded Connectivity and Operability
  • 4K Movie Recording, S-Log 2/3, HDR
  • Upgraded Dust and Moisture Resistance
Dual UHS II slots and improved grip (ergonomics) are also mentioned ....

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
Are we doomed now, or not yet? :) https://www.dpreview.com/news/7747501993/sony-introduces-a7r-iv

• Real-time Tracking
WOW
Just hope things work as advertized. This will be a great new bench mark!

Upvote 0
The Canon Rs makes a lot more sense now if Sony is doing a 61 Mp Sensor.
The big reason I'll hold out for the Canon body is mostly for the lenses.

The camera store I work for gets a significant amount of Sony repair requests mostly for the body. The SEL 70-200 is extremely poorly made and is the most common repair/warranty claim we get.

Upvote 0

• Real-time Tracking

I'm shocked that Sony opted for Dual UHS II slots and not XQD. Seems like a pretty large miss.

Upvote 0

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
I think a lot of people are merging the "RS" and the "RX" bodies in their minds.

I would not expect the "RX" to have 36MP. I would not be at all surprised if it has the same or similar MP as the "R," but with a higher frame rate, autofocus improvements, more robust build, 1D battery, etc., that differentiates the 1 series from the 5 series in DSLRs. It will probably share the same sensor as the 1DX III. Simply moving from 20 to 30 mp would be an impressive leap.

The "RS" is almost certainly going to exceed the 50 mp of the 5D s.

I also expect that the "RS" will have IBIS, but I'm not counting on the "RX" having it. Canon may not feel comfortable putting IBIS in a body that has to be bombproof.

The new RS better have over 61 MP, Animal/human eye detection, over 15 stops DR, exceed 10fps with eye detection continuous af, minimum of FF 4K with eye tracking for animals and humans. These are the specs I am reading as I type this from "The Verge" talking about the new Sony A7R IV.

Upvote 0

Rivermist

Mirrorless or bust.
Apr 27, 2019
Houston

Yes, samples, good point, here are a few with the RP and RF 24-105 or EF 35 2.0 IS w/ adapter (Lightroom Classic, no editing)

Attachments

• IMG_3129.jpg
    IMG_3129.jpg
    868.3 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_3532.jpg
    IMG_3532.jpg
    417.1 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_3621.jpg
    IMG_3621.jpg
    461.4 KB · Views: 120
  • 5D3_7422-2.jpg
    5D3_7422-2.jpg
    520.7 KB · Views: 115
Upvote 0

fox40phil

People, Events, Sports & Wildlife
Apr 12, 2013
Germany
www.phileas-schoenberg.de
My expectation/hope is that the RS will exceed the 5D4's frame rate at full resolution. The 5D4 is, honestly, pretty slow by current standards. I wouldn't expect it to top 10fps at 60mp or anything, but 8fps would be 480mp/s, in the ballpark as the 420mp/s of the A7R3, which is coming up on 2 years old. An A7R4 will likely bump that up as well. Canon would really have to push the MP count to the stratosphere (75+?) in order to justify a 7fps frame rate on a mirrorless in 2020.

Other than FPS, I don't know what an "R5" would offer over an RS, and the 5D4 is already fast enough for most event work. Anything faster, and you'l be in RX territory. I think the base "R" series will become the "all-rounder" when it hits mk2 (and as it's a first-gen product, I'm certainly hoping for a faster-than normal refresh cycle)
:D... today was the 7rIV released..with 60MP and 10FPS! Dayum! WE can expect this because Sony can do this and have done something like this in the last years...

Upvote 0

fox40phil

People, Events, Sports & Wildlife
Apr 12, 2013
Germany
www.phileas-schoenberg.de
I'm shocked that Sony opted for Dual UHS II slots and not XQD. Seems like a pretty large miss.
why do you think so?! Look at the prices of XQD and the monopol by Sony... it would be logical, but now its better for us (the Sony photographers). SD is far cheaper and Sony has also the fastes (r+w) on the market if someone needs the speed of "300/300mb/s".

Upvote 0

• Real-time Tracking

Sounds like a mean mega-pixel machine! But, in all reality, my reality, I can get awesome images and have an enjoyable and satisfying time shooting my old 5D Mark ii.....or my Pentax K1 with a 60 year old lens on it.
I love all my gear and always would like more, but when is enough, enough????
I'm sure all these new high end monsters are amazing, but how many dots/pixels can the human eye really see????

Upvote 0