Here are more images of the Canon EOS R3

Chig

Birds in Flight Nutter
Jul 26, 2020
Orewa , New Zealand
Immediate annoyance: horizontal and vertical grip buttons and dials aren't consistently placed, relative to one another. With the R5+grip it's awful. This looks like it might be a bit better, but it should be perfect.
I agree , my 7D ii grip is great ergonomically but it doesn't quite match the main body and an integrated grip should be exactly the same

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2014
Hang on the RF 400 and 600 arer already out, and I was referring to Canon Rumours own post that next year we get 500 f/4 and that the first 300 f/2.8 we might get is a zoom. It also mentioned the 500 f/4 would be much smaller and lighter. Only way I can see that happening is with DO. These shouldn't be lazy efforts like the 400 and 600 that basically just welded on the EF-RF adapter ala Sigma for Sony. They should be designed for RF natively.

I still don't understand why Canon did not bother at least to "weld" a control ring adapter instead of just a basic one. These are $12K lenses and even the ultra cheap 50mm 1.8 has a control ring.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Bahrd

Red herrings...
Jun 30, 2013
I never missed a flippy screen on my several 5D mark-somethings, but once working with a 60D with flippy screen made me instantaneously miss it on the 5D-series.

So: flippy screen trumps large screen.
I have a privilege of using 70D, 6D and 1D Mk III (without X). It looks like R3 has all their advantages (FF, DP AF, flipped screen and grip) integrated (plus Eye-Control AF).
Now, I just only hope R3 won't be cheap enough to tempt me...

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Can you imagine the whining if some of these folks had to live with cameras from 10-40 years ago? Oh that's right, it would all seem miraculous. Spoiled brats.
And now imagine how those people, who lived and worked with cameras 10-40 years ago, would complain if they had to work with cameras which were created 40-80 years ago? Comparing generations to each almost never works for me because mostly people just single out one factor...

Today, in order to stand out and make a living of ones images, photographers have to make incredible pictures and - among other things such as skills - in order to do so, they need the best tools available. 50 years ago, fewer people had cameras, but print media was sold in large numbers, so it was actually possible to make a living with "mediocre imagines" and therefore - maybe - less complaining...If you went to India and got a shot of tiger, you were able to sell it even it was blurry. Not today... it needs to pinpoint sharp...

I, of course, did the same here and singled only one point. I did that in order to make a point_ comparing generation usually never works without looking at the great picture... therefore, I wouldn't call anybody who wants a floppy screen a spoiled brat...

using outdated old tech would be a reason for whining in EVERY generation...

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I never missed a flippy screen on my several 5D mark-somethings, but once working with a 60D with flippy screen made me instantaneously miss it on the 5D-series.

I agree. Not counting the M6 (which has tilt but not full articulation), I had only fixed screens until the EOS R. I used an Angle Finder C with my 1D X occasionally. First serious use of the EOS R was on a trip to Whistler, BC where I snowshoed up to partially-frozen waterfalls, and because at some spots I was standing on several meters of powder and wanted long exposures, the only place to set up my tripod was on the snowshoes I was wearing. That necessitated a reduced leg spread that put the camera at my waist, but the articulated display allowed me to get the shots.

Upvote 0

canonmike

EOS R6
CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
For those who said that a pro body had to have a fixed display because of weather sealing. This body clearly dispells that theory. Canon has clearly incorporated the moveable and most likely full touch display into a professional body.
Concur jam05, however we don't have any track record yet, showing the swivel screen will not be it's inclement weather weak point over time. We're all excited to see what the R3 can do and how it will hold up to professional use and abuse. Perhaps, the upcoming Japan Olympics will shed some light on both.

Upvote 0

canonmike

EOS R6
CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
I still don't understand why Canon did not bother at least to "weld" a control ring adapter instead of just a basic one. These are $12K lenses and even the ultra cheap 50mm 1.8 has a control ring.
Aye, mate, that is the question, indeed, to which no one has given a valid answer. I was surprised at the omission, as well.

Upvote 0

canonmike

EOS R6
CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
First message here so I'll take the chance to say Hi!

I know they compete in different categories but the Olympus EM1X, although not regarded as a pro camera by many/most, is basically waterproof and has a tilt flip screen that works a treat. I own it and have put the camera under the tap to clean off mud. That is a 3 year old camera that sells for 1600£ now, so surely all the big brands could implement it if they wanted to. FWIW, to me a flippy-tilty screen makes using the camera that much easier and in fact, there are countless photos I would have struggled to take had I not had it.

I just hope the R3 resolution makes sense for wildlife and it's priced right, cause it sure looks like a proper tool for the job
I have always been surprised that Olympus does not sell many more cameras than what they do. They make some great products and have a cult like following.

Upvote 0

I love flippy screens but unfortunately I love L brackets. It is a tough life I live.

• Haha
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I have always been surprised that Olympus does not sell many more cameras than what they do. They make some great products and have a cult like following.
I have an Olympus. I love the way it looks. For me, that's where the attraction ends. Menus? OMG!!!!

Upvote 0

freejay

CR Pro
Feb 3, 2015
I have this idea that the R3 will be able to track a specific subject, e.g. a dedicated person ('s face) like the bride on a wedding. This (from Canon USA) sounds a bit like it (last sentence):

Code:
The EOS R5 and R6 were only the beginning.
Using Deep Learning technology,
the upcoming EOS R3 will offer enhanced AF performance
and tracking capabilities, with even better face-, eye-,
head- and body-detection.
And, the EOS R3 will add a new type of subject recognition, for its AF system.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I love flippy screens but unfortunately I love L brackets. It is a tough life I live.
The two are not incompatible. I have an RRS L-bracket on my EOS R. It constrains the movement a bit, but not excessively.

I do hope the RRS bracket for the R3 is modular like the one for my 1DX, the bracket for the EOS R is a single piece.

Upvote 0