Here are more specifications for the Canon EOS R5

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
Low pass filter on a 45 Mpx sensor. Maybe good for some but I so much prefer to ditch the filter as I rarely have problems with Moire and the filter does give image degradation.

Canon deserves some criticism for AA filters that have been too strong in the past. But they seem to be going with weaker AA filters now (aka the 1DX3).

If they have gone with a weaker AA in the 45mp R5 then we have a point of reference with the 50mp 5Ds and 5DsR. The "image degradation" between these two amounts to a slight difference in sharpening parameters in post and is basically invisible except when pixel peeping.

I'm glad to see that Canon is bucking the industry trend of no AA filter, and instead appears to be going with weaker AA filters.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Canon deserves some criticism for AA filters that have been too strong in the past. But they seem to be going with weaker AA filters now (aka the 1DX3).

If they have gone with a weaker AA in the 45mp R5 then we have a point of reference with the 50mp 5Ds and 5DsR. The "image degradation" between these two amounts to a slight difference in sharpening parameters in post and is basically invisible except when pixel peeping.

I'm glad to see that Canon is bucking the industry trend of no AA filter, and instead appears to be going with weaker AA filters.
Canon claims that the R5 outresolves the 5DSR. If so, both of us will be delighted.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
Canon claims that the R5 outresolves the 5DSR. If so, both of us will be delighted.

I hit reply and typed my response before realizing 'it's Alan, we've had this debate before.' :LOL: I guess I haven't had enough caffeine yet this morning.

Any way, I hope Canon is being truthful and we are both delighted. Having a sensor stack that resolves more than the 5DsR (despite the 5mp sampling advantage of the 5DsR) yet still blocks moire and aliasing...at least somewhat...would be quite impressive.

I have a feeling you'll have one before I do. If so, I look forward to your comments and comparisons to your 5DsR.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Pack it up boys, we're done here. This thing is dead on arrival, literally unusable. Essential features it appears to lack:

• Flash sync faster than 1/250s
  • Internal/software ND filter
  • Shutter speeds faster than 1/8000s
  • Dual gain sensor
  • Pixel shift hi-res mode
  • Global shutter
  • XLR ports
  • Waveforms (probably)
  • Quad Pixel CMOS AF
  • Integrated collapsible EF adapter
  • Air cooling
  • IP68 rated weatherproofing
  • Optical viewfinder
  • Holographic LCD
  • Radioisotope power source
  • Cup holder
  • Weather control
  • Ability to see into the future
  • Anything else?
DPR seems to be of a similar opinion. They admitted that the thing is OK. but just .... I mean, nothing special, right..:

"... Given the EOS R5's higher price of entry, it's encouraging to see it's at least competitive in almost every way (the lack of a high-res shot mode is the most obvious omission). But most significantly, it offers more speed, higher-resolution video and future-proof HDR video and stills capture over the other cameras here..." Boom!!! :D

What a bunch of....

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Comparison of feature differences for R5 vs R6 (differences only):

APPEARANCE AND CAMERA CONTROLS
R5: PC terminal

IMAGE SENSOR
R5: Effective pixels (max. approx. megapixels) 45.0
R6: Effective pixels (max. approx. megapixels) 20.1

STILL PHOTO RECORDING
R5: Maximum burst RAW SD card: 66 CFexpress card: 180
JPEG Large / Fine SD card: 190 CFexpress card: 350
R6: Maximum burst RAW Standard card 110 High-speed card 240
JPEG Large / Fine Standard card 110 High-speed card 240
R5: Possible shots (at 23°C / 73°F, Screen, Smooth) 320
R6: Possible shots (at 23°C / 73°F, Screen, Smooth) 360

MOVIE RECORDING
R5: Movie recording size 8K DCI / UHD
R5: Movie recording size 4K High Frame Rate (119.88 / 100.00)
R5: Movie recording size 4K DCI 59.94, 29.97, 24.00, 23.98/50.00, 25.00, 24.00
R5: Movie recording size RAW movies
R5: Movie recording size 4K HQ mode movies

R5: Time-lapse movies 8K / 4K / Full HD
R6: Time-lapse movies 4K / Full HD

R5: Canon Log P / Tv / Av / M
R6: Canon Log Movie auto exposure Movie manual exposure

R5: Built-in microphone Monaural
R6: Built-in microphone Stereo

VIEWFINDER
R5: Dot count (approx.) 5.76 million dots
R6: Dot count (approx.) 3.69 million dots

MONITOR
R5: Dot count (approx.) 2.1 million dots
R6: Dot count (approx.) 1.62 million dots

AUTOFOCUS
R5: Focusing brightness range: Stills: EV –6 to 20
R6: Focusing brightness range: Stills: EV –6.5 to 20
R5: Focusing brightness range: Movies: 8K: EV -3 to 20 4K/Full HD: EV -4 to 20
R6: Focusing brightness range: Movies: EV –5 to 20

EXPOSURE CONTROL
R5: Movie A+ / P / Tv / Av / M / C1 / C2 / C3
R6: Movie A+*/Movie auto exposure/Movie manual exposure *Movie recordingis possible in A+ mode by pressing the movie shooting button.
R5: ISO Stills: Normal 100–51200
R6: ISO Stills: Normal 100–102400
R5: ISO Stills: Hi speed expansion 102400
R6: ISO Stills: Hi speed expansion 204800
R5: ISO Movies: Hi speed expansion 51200
R6: ISO Movies: Hi speed expansion 204800

IMAGE PROCESSING AFTER SHOOTING
R5: DPRAW processing (portrait relighting, background clarity)
R5: HEIF→JPEG conversion 8K/4K
R6: HEIF→JPEG conversion Yes
R5: Voice memo
R6: Frame grab

EXTERNAL INTERFACE
R5: Wireless File Transmitter support

WIRELESS COMMUNICATION
R5: 5 GHz Wi-Fi support

RECORDING MEDIA
R5: CFexpress card / SD,SDHC, SDXC memory cards
R6: SD, SDHC, SDXC memory cards

DIMENSIONS AND WEIGHT
R5: 138.5 x 97.5 x 88.0
R6: 138.4 x 97.5 x 88.4
R5: Weight 738g
R6: Weight 680g

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Pre-order done. Adorama was nice enough to toss in a 128 GB CF Express card, case, extra battery, and UV filter to sweeten the deal. Got the kit with the 24-105 to try out the RF glass, plus the EF converter to use the old glass. Can't wait! My 5D Mk III was getting soooo long in the tooth at nearly 8 years of diligent service.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

vjlex

EOS R5
Oct 15, 2011
Osaka, Japan
so no gps huh :rolleyes:
Looks like GPS will be through Bluetooth, and the Canon Connect app on your phone. Not an ideal solution, but definitely better than no GPS at all. Hopefully it will be better than I"m expecting, seeing as how terrible the Connect app is (as an example, if you have more than 10,000 images on your camera, it won't allow you to connect it to your phone).

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Looks like GPS will be through Bluetooth, and the Canon Connect app on your phone. Not an ideal solution, but definitely better than no GPS at all. Hopefully it will be better than I"m expecting, seeing as how terrible the Connect app is (as an example, if you have more than 10,000 images on your camera, it won't allow you to connect it to your phone).

I hope the GP-E2 is still supported. It would be a shame if that gets relegated to the backpack as logger :(

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Starting out EOS R

EOS R5 - RF24-105mm F4L, RF70-200mm f2.8L
Feb 13, 2020
Pre-order done. Adorama was nice enough to toss in a 128 GB CF Express card, case, extra battery, and UV filter to sweeten the deal. Got the kit with the 24-105 to try out the RF glass, plus the EF converter to use the old glass. Can't wait! My 5D Mk III was getting soooo long in the tooth at nearly 8 years of diligent service.
Thats a great deal, the CF express card is £279 and the battery £114 so pretty generous. I presume it was the R5?

Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2016
I hit reply and typed my response before realizing 'it's Alan, we've had this debate before.' :LOL: I guess I haven't had enough caffeine yet this morning.

Any way, I hope Canon is being truthful and we are both delighted. Having a sensor stack that resolves more than the 5DsR (despite the 5mp sampling advantage of the 5DsR) yet still blocks moire and aliasing...at least somewhat...would be quite impressive.

I have a feeling you'll have one before I do. If so, I look forward to your comments and comparisons to your 5DsR.
I suspect that when we get to 60MP, the filters might be eliminated. I could occasionally see some small bits of moire here and there.

Upvote 0

vjlex

EOS R5
Oct 15, 2011
Osaka, Japan
How'd you manage to swing that?

It's through Bluetooth and the connect app:

Bluetooth Capability.

Bluetooth connectivity offers continuous connection, and allows the EOS R5 camera to automatically connect to a smart device that is paired with the Canon Camera Connect app. This allows a number of functions from easy image transfer to remote shooting, to adding GPS information to your photos and videos and more.

Upvote 0