Here are some new lens images and early pricing

The RF 24-105mm f4L IS USM is better than its EF cousin but you would not want to live on the difference. The RF 24-240mm f4-6.3 IS USM is not the greatest example of optical excellence. Yes both lenses are at the lower end of the RF price point but they have not moved the bar.
It remains to be seen how good the RF 100-500mm will be with & without the converters but for almost 40% more in price it needs to be really good to justify that price hike.

I think you're confusing my messages and replied to the wrong one or are combining my thoughts.

Previously I used the reference to the 24-240 to show that even in the worst-designed (IMO) RF zoom, the telephoto end is really good. That was when I was talking about the new RF f/11 primes that are around the same price point, trying to make the point that I think the IQ will be pretty good. Summary: if 240mm on the 24-240 is really good, the f/11 primes should be even better.

The exact quote I made that you referenced was about the GF 250 + 1.4x – That was only meant to speak to how the IQ of TCs has improved in the last few years plus how much better they are being designed for mirrorless than they were for DSLRs. Summary: Using higher-end mirrorless TCs can be more like having a modular lens with very few sacrifices (if any) in IQ.

Upvote 0
Those telephoto lense are very interesting. Wonder what shutter speeds and ISO has to be set even in bright light when using F11 or above to keep up. It looks like you be constantly on ISO 4000 or above. Not an issue for low 20MP R6. R5 might struggle, we see soon.

these are for the perched birds. The moment birds start moving, it is not going to work that well. But for perched birds, with superior IBIS, it might work.

OTOH I wonder how much bigger would these lenses be, if they designed them as F8 lenses. F8 would be much more useful IMHO....

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
Those telephoto lense are very interesting. Wonder what shutter speeds and ISO has to be set even in bright light when using F11 or above to keep up. It looks like you be constantly on ISO 4000 or above. Not an issue for low 20MP R6. R5 might struggle, we see soon.

Once again, with modern sensors more resolution does not mean more noise, arcsecond to arcsecond. Smaller pixels does mean more pixel-level noise but that's comparing apples to oranges because you also get more detail!

Anyway. The sunny 16 rule says that in bright sunlight you get a 1/200s shutter speed at f/11 and ISO 100. Bump ISO to 1600, which is basically nothing on modern sensors, and you get 1/3200s. Or in less direct sunlight still something like 1/800s. Fast-moving birds in shade, that's another question, but you can't expect miracles at that price.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
If that price is right, Samyang AF 85mm F1.4 for RF look even more appealing to me.
I am currently torn between that lens and the Tamron SP 85mm f/1.8. I will probably get the Tamron since I have started to do video again and it has IS (VC).

Upvote 0