Here are the first images and specifications of the Canon EOS R and the new RF mount lenses

vjlex

EOS R5
Oct 15, 2011
Osaka, Japan
I wouldn't think they would be introducing the EF-M 32mm f1.4 or make an EF-R to EF-M adapter. I have been saying I thought the M line would eventually replace the Rebel line, and I think these actions reinforce my theory. Don't forget there are strong rumors of a M5 Mk II also.
Ah, right. Good point. In all the excitement, I forgot all about the EF-M32mm. I was planning to buy it, but will be rethinking that in light of the new mount. Three different mounts that share no native intercompatibility is going to be confusing.

Upvote 0
The goods
-6EV AF
Fully articulating touch screen is really good
Has 3 dials just awesome
Top display got an upgrade - Tony Northrup will be happy finally ;)
Uses LP-E6N battery
dust proof
Drip-proof
Mic Jack
Headphone Jack

Drop in filter on the adapter is nice

Unknowns. This does not mean I am expecting all these in body even if it is $3.5k just listing out the unknowns
EVF resolution
Focus magnification while manual focus
ISO range may be 40K based on data on the top display. 40K should be good for
AF performance on the EF lenses
OLAF
SD UHS I or II
FPS
Will AE and AF work on burst mode
RAW Buffer
Electronic shutter
Flash sync speed
Total shots in a single charge
IBIS
4K30 or 60p
1080p60 or 120
4K crop?
C-log?
HDMI output specs
# of shots in one charge
Focus peaking
Zebras

Negatives
All lenses looks like focus by wire?
Sounds like SD Card - not a problem if it is a $2k to $2.5k
1 card slot - not a problem if it is a $2k to $2.5k
Have to buy 3 different adapters if one where to make use of drop in ND filters and CPL.

Like many others I am also wondering what is that thing with left and right arrow?:unsure:
<> is your new quick control dial more than likely. If so I will be interested in how it feels. One nice thing about the QCD is the "clickstops" so that you can feel how far to go. A digital dial might be hard to control.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Okay -- stepped out for some supper and a proper cocktail and now let's get into it.

[cracks knuckles]

1) I am excited. This is a huge moment for Canon, it's faithful, etc. Cannot believe it's finally here.

2) We know about (I'm guessing) 2/3 of the total launch picture right now -- what it looks like, a spread of lenses, existence of an adaptor, and -- if the specs are right -- we know what it is 'banked' to have. We still don't know a lot, though:
  • If Canon has another body imminently coming out alongside this first one. (Most likely not.)
  • Price: Feels like a 5D4 with the sensor + sealed body, but the controls are wildly different, esp. with the right thumb. And the grip is anything but built for pickle jar wielding pros. So in that regard it feels like a prosumer 6D-level experiment.
  • FPS / buffer: No idea what we're dealing with
  • IBIS: No idea if it's in there. We are reading tea leaves on two of the lenses having IS meaning that IBIS isn't on board. We'll see.
  • Eye AF: No Idea if it's in there.
  • Shutter: Max speed? Mechanical? Mechanical + E-Shutter?
  • Sync speed: No idea.
3) The only major major major unchangeable after this point is the physical mount itself. Canon is married to this mount (as well as EF, which is not going away) as it is committing major dollars to L level glass and an ambitious first blast of glass to the market. So that's locked in. But other things can still change with this platform:
  • If this body doesn't get IBIS, a future one could. Not putting it in the first model is not Canon's final word on the matter. Remember: Sony A7 didn't get IBIS until the 2nd gen.
  • Canon could 100% go tiny with this platform any time it wants: sprinkle a pancake here, a slow 85 f/2.8 there, and a neato 24-50 f/variable and this thing is ready to travel.
  • A Full EF mirrorless would be simple to do and could follow this platform to market if desired. I still contend it makes a lot of sense, esp. in the absence of a large-gripped pro body in (potentially) the first few years of this platform.
Okay, now let me have a look at this monster. :love:

- A

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Getting away from specs, looking at the form of this body's design:
  • Delighted to see space between grip and mount. I do not need to fire up photoshop and superimpose this with a Z7 or A7 to know that Canon did a far better job here, and that this phenomenon will be far less likely to occur. Full marks here.

• The grip is simply too small for my tastes -- looks Rebel-ish -- but it still looks deep enough (with the remove general bulk around the mirror) to possibly be more comfortable for fingertips than a Rebel SLR. Still, I don't want to slap my 70-200 f/2.8 on this thing. It too small to me.

• The 'pentaprism' area is a fraction of the size of a FF SLR. It's a shocking side by side shot from the top in the marketing materials. Surely the same hotshoe, but speedlites will look like they are on stilts on this thing.

• Canon did some 'differentiation with SLR' sort of form-dieting in specific paces completely unrelated to the mirror. Notice how the space between the pentaprism and the grip is lower than the business end of the grip. Sony runs flat across from EVF mound transition to the grip but Canon (and Nikon, btw) sculpted out material there for no obvious reason I can see. Perhaps they really want to play smaller/lighter to the hilt?

• Neckstrap eyelets still haven't changed. I wasn't expecting them to, but a larger bore would have given folks more options -- C-Rings, quick connects, etc. become more direct (and don't need threaded through adaptors) with a larger lumen to hook on to.

• No shots from the bottom, but the skinny adaptors without a boxy bottom imply that we'll get a vanilla threaded tripod/blackrapid/arca hole on the bottom. Surely it has to be there.
- A

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
The lens diameter is twice the mount diameter, or ~100mm. That's thicker than the 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM.

As predicted, it's a boat anchor pickle jar shillelagh. Flyingskiguy saved me the trouble and posted this on page 4:

1535778113400.png

It is shorter than I thought it would be (looks EF24-105 ish), but diametrically it's a boss hogg. That could be a 3+ pound standard zoom, people. You might need the Lee SW150 setup (built for oversized / bulbous UWA lenses) to shoot landscapes with this thing. :LOL:

Zero chance you rest this (assembled with lens) on table and the barrel of the lens isn't propping it up.

- A

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Every lens has a textured ring around the terminal part of the lens barrel before you get to the hood attachment.

canon_2.jpg
canon_5.jpg

Primes have it. Zooms have it. What is it for?

They appear to have gone away from the textured engineering plastic I love (on the 24-70 f/4L, 100L, etc.) to more of a 'glossy matte' finish. Not a fan one bit. Every surface of a lens barrel that doesn't have controls or rings should provide grip. Sigma idiotically has glossy bits near the mount, and that can get slippery! I wonder if this textured surface was a relatively late add after the svelte black eveningwear look of the main surface proved to be too slippery in early reviews.

But maybe that knurled ring ring actually does something and moves. Sets aperture for declicked movie work. Auto-snaps the VF to focus peaking mode or 5-10x manual focusing mode. Who knows?

- A

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Only if the price is under US$2,000 and it has IBIS. For somewhat less than US$3,000, the A7riii is looking real nice: 30MP simply isn't enough of a jump over the M5's 24, but 47MP is. And the fun Cosina lenses (40/1.2, Loxia 21/2.8, 10/12/15mm Heliars, etc.) will just work. And if the new Canon 24-105/4.0 is as nice as I hope, an adaptor might appear. Years from now, if Canon persuades Cosina to come out with it's fun lenses in an R-mount, and a high-res body comes out, things might be different here.

I don't know that megapixels at this end are that important. Don't know exactly what Canon's initial price point will be, but I think Sony is toast. Look for Sony to move to medium format soon... where there will also be no competition in Sony's price range for bodies. ;)

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
As predicted, it's a boat anchor pickle jar shillelagh. Flyingskiguy saved me the trouble and posted this on page 4:

View attachment 180033

It is shorter than I thought it would be (looks EF24-105 ish), but diametrically it's a boss hogg. That could be a 3+ pound standard zoom, people. You might need the Lee SW150 setup (built for oversized / bulbous UWA lenses) to shoot landscapes with this thing. :LOL:

Zero chance you rest this (assembled with lens) on table and the barrel of the lens isn't propping it up.

- A

But you know what? I happen to like big heavy lenses. I know a lot of people don't, but wow, I do!!! This is giving me the vapors! Not interested in this body at all. I'll wait to see what the higher end body has to offer. But wow!!! f/2? On a zoom? WOW!

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Few more lens comments:

1) No front views of that 35 Macro. Might be illuminated like the crop ones, but there should be a button to cycle the lighting power and side (L vs. R vs. both), shouldn't there? I don't see it, but we only have one view.

2) I don't see single distance scale -- analog or digital -- on any of these. Wonder if (in its place) the EVF will tell us near/far limits of field...

3) Zoom and focus rings of the 24-105 are absolutely on top of each other. That might p--- off the gloved shooters out there, or dudes with huge hands.

- A

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
I have big hands and the M5 is very small, but given a decent sized body, it would work well. You can pick which quadrant you want to use. You can move the focus point with your thump while up to your eye. Think mouse vs joy stick. Very natural.

I love love love this functionality, and found out it's not just a feature for mirrorless (tee it up exactly at 4:00 for what I mean):

A @#$@ing D5500 can do this. I want this on any camera I own. My 5D3 joystick is money, but this might even be better (if well implemented).

- A

Upvote 0
Ok so some questions and I have to say I have not read the entire thread as I have been working on getting to the end of the internet and these threads really screws That up.

So the mount to EF lenses requires an adapter.... so much for sexy.

Of the new lenses the 35 macro and the 24-105 efr have IS neither of the f2 lenses do, certainly not a hard indicator for or against IBIS.

Where are all the sub ten post members of CR coming from, are they real unpaid posters?

I’m confused by the adaptor situation, EF R to EF?, same with drop in filter? Does an EF R to EFM adaptor exist outside the fertile imaginations of posters and if so why, and would that mean that video is cropped?

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
I wonder if this foreshadows the elimination of the EOS-M line. If they're putting all their energy into the R line, it seems like it might make sense for APS-C mirrorless moving forward to be R-mount as well. It seems like there are already almost as many R lenses as their are M.

No. Sorry. No.

Canon's love of a market segment is not measured in how much glass it offers to it.

Crop is Canon's bread and butter and absolutely keeps the lights on for them. Rebels are their unit monsters that fuel absurd economies of scale, the M50 is their ascendant darling, etc. Canon loves crop products.

They've just lived through fancier glass for EF-S ten years ago and realized it wasn't the right move for that market. FF became a non-$5000 thing and folks started wondering why they were sinking $1179 into a 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM that would never work on FF. Interest in higher end crop-only glass somewhat died at Canon. That doesn't mean they don't love crop and want to push the hell out of it. They just don't see a great return on investment on pricey EF-S or EF-M glass.

Canon will never be Fuji because they have a booming FF portfolio. Fuji doesn't, so they spoil their people rotten with all sorts of awesome crop glass.

- A

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
I’m confused by the adaptor situation, EF R to EF?, same with drop in filter? Does an EF R to EFM adaptor exist outside the fertile imaginations of posters and if so why, and would that mean that video is cropped?

You need an adaptor to bolt EF on EOS R. It's a thin mount body as many of us guessed. In the middle of the day Nokishita made an update from something sounding like an RF lens to EF-M adaptor into what we see in all the pics -- these adaptors are for EF to bolt on to EOS R, and the photos back that up.

The other two adaptors are presumed (but we do not know) to have captured filters inside. Not sure if these are modular (like a DI 52 in the superwhites) or if they are permanent, but one being an ND and the other being a CPL would make some sense.

- A

Upvote 0