Here are the first images and specifications of the Canon EOS R and the new RF mount lenses

Nikon could have gone with 2 sd cards. SD cards are getting fast enough now to handle 4k and are less prone to failure than CF CFAST or XQD so I don't see why you wouldn't go down that path if you can't fit a cfast and SD in the mall body of a mirrorless.
yes. But from the interview they said they wanted XQD because they feel that's the future and the XFExpress compatibility via firmware. You don't need to argue with me. I think they should have put two cards because it would have saved them a ton of complains, if you don't like it, don't use the extra slot. I'm just telling you they said they didn't have the room for their target size. that's all. feel free to make what you will.

Upvote 0
yes. But from the interview they said they wanted XQD because they feel that's the future and the XFExpress compatibility via firmware. You don't need to argue with me. I think they should have put two cards because it would have saved them a ton of complains, if you don't like it, don't use the extra slot. I'm just telling you they said they didn't have the room for their target size. that's all. feel free to make what you will.

I think there is plenty of space for 2 cards, sometimes camera companies representatives say stuff that isn't true.

I think more likely their current bandwidth system couldn't support 2 XQD cards, but it could have supported 2 SD card slots, so they should have used 2x SD cards instead of 1 XQD. Use XQD later once the bandwidth/CPU/cache/buffer etc can keep up to have 2 of them.

Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
Not arguing. Just debating possible reasons. If they are deadest on XQD then fair enough. I wonder why they don't think SD cards will be up to scratch in the future. Technology has a way of beating the odds and I would imagine we can get a lot more out of SD's yet

Upvote 0

sdz

CR Pro
Sep 13, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Why is IBIS assumed to be tied to the presence or lack of IS in the lens?

Sony and others have released many lenses with optical IS that works in conjunction with IBIS. Ex: Sony FE 70-200 GM OSS, FE 24-105 G OSS, Panasonic 50-200 OIS, etc.

Canon might believe that in camera mechanical stablization does not out-perform software stablization with lens mechanical stablization.

On the other hand, unstablized lenses would benefit from IBIS.

That's my guess at an answer to the question: Why does this camera lack IBIS?

Upvote 0

goldenhusky

CR Pro
Dec 2, 2016
It may seem too good to be true, but Canon claimed it would innovate, compete and would not protect its existing product lines. Thus, 5D IV specs in the lesser mirrorless camera. $1,900 seems plausible, especially if Canon believes it must defend it's market position.

Don't be suprised if they price it at ~$3k. Canon will eventually subsidize with Mail in rebate, free printer, free grip, free carepak, instant discount. So ultimately they will sell if dirt cheap and be the market leader in Full frame MILC too...

Upvote 0
So for those of you that like to think about lens and adapters, if R's flange distance is 20mm and M is 18mm, can you make an adapter? how about if I give you an extra 2 mm to play. Yes, I'm wondering if it would be possible to see R-Z adapters. Nikon's larger throat and shorter flange (16mm) seems like the most adaptable mount of all. But could it adapt R lenses?

Upvote 0

goldenhusky

CR Pro
Dec 2, 2016
I think there is plenty of space for 2 cards, sometimes camera companies representatives say stuff that isn't true.

I think more likely their current bandwidth system couldn't support 2 XQD cards, but it could have supported 2 SD card slots, so they should have used 2x SD cards instead of 1 XQD. Use XQD later once the bandwidth/CPU/cache/buffer etc can keep up to have 2 of them.

I was on NR reading through comments. I saw some people posted they prefer 1 XQD over 2 SD cards. Some others quoted if they added 2 SD card slot most likely one will be UHS 1 and that would suck. It takes for ever to clear the buffer with a UHS 1 card. From a redundancy perspective either 2 SD UHS 2 or 2 XQD would be fine and I would expect 2 card slots in a $3.5k camera. The new UHS 2 cards with speeds up to 299mbps are really nice. But one down side with pretty much all SD cards is their read and write speeds goes all over the place like sometimes at 200 mbps and then 30mpbs the next second then back to 90mbps when compared to the CF cards. I have not used any other type cards in a decade to compare. Personally I would not shoot anything with a camera that has one card slot if I am paid to shoot. People would argue there was only one film, only one card in older cameras, all true but times have changed so the technologies and people expectations. But it is highly debatable with no agreement or conclusion can be made.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

KT

Feb 2, 2012
If the price is still sub 2k (or thereabouts) as rumored, I'm buying one. That simple.
and I would say dream on, the 30.3 MP sensor they have inside the R is probably a refined version of the same sensor from the 5D Mark IV. All things being equal, I doubt Canon will polish a sensor from a $3500 body and then offer it for $1900. Not to mention the R&D that went into the rest of the various systems (AF, metering, new mount, etc...)The world doesn't work like that.

Upvote 0
Grip is smaller than I'd like (say Rebel sized) but thank goodness there is finger space for room between the grip and bigger lenses. A+ there, Sony and Nikon both ruined it there.

- A

... yes, there is a finger space, but it made the camera look a bit out of proportions (unpleasant) imo. Too much space on the left side, when compared with the right side - looks like immediately cut right after the lens. Also tall. Well, FF needs some size proportions, but I also want to like my camera aestheticall and it looks a bi weird. Hopefully it grows on me over time.

I also wonder about AF points selection controls - the likes of joystick, AF selection butoon, scroll-wheel. The images are small, but does it look like a scroll wheel there, or more a Rebel xy-way buttons?

We've got 5DIV in January, so will have to think about. Wanted to replace 70D with some small/cute companion for a street photography. Will wait for the M5/M6 II. EOS R, on the other side, with the price-tag and its specs - I wonder, where's the catch, as for 1900$, if right, looks like it could eat the 5DIV sales?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Nov 13, 2015
It’s a touchpad for swiping left right. Replaced the rear wheel. 21st century tech!

Touch pad is a good idea. But in poring over the tiny jpg it looks more like a toggle button to me. Maybe the value of the setting appears in the middle. Perhaps the default would be to set ISO, but customizable? Sort of a Quick Adjust Bar. Maybe it could be set to show camera horizontal level? Fun to speculate.

Upvote 0
Whats going on with the 100-400L II image? Is that the 2x TC stacked on one of the RF-EF adapters?

This thing is..... a pleasant surprise! -6EV?! That's night vision. Flip out screen?! NICE. It's actually a pretty small camera, but with a deep grip! New lens design language is a nice blend of sleek modern with some of the classic EF lens look.

30.3MP sensor... the 5D IV is listed at 30.4MP. Should be a new sensor then, right?
The 2x adaptor on the 100-400 is probably touting the EV -6 range. That's the equivalent of an f11 lens, so it would need high sensitivity to still work.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Jun 29, 2017
Touch pad is a good idea. But in poring over the tiny jpg it looks more like a toggle button to me. Maybe the value of the setting appears in the middle. Perhaps the default would be to set ISO, but customizable? Sort of a Quick Adjust Bar. Maybe it could be set to show camera horizontal level? Fun to speculate.

It may be a toggle as well. Either way I’m betting that is the new way to select left to right as the wheel once did. The iPod went from a wheel to a pad. Makes sense to me.

Upvote 0
Oh my, it is aesthetically eve than M5. The proportions are terrible - cut on the right side

... yes, there is a finger space, but it made the camera look a bit out of proportions (unpleasant) imo. Too much space on the left side, when compared with the right side - looks like immediately cut right after the lens. Also tall. Well, FF needs some size proportions, but I also want to like my camera aestheticall and it looks a bi weird. Hopefully it grows on me over time.

I also wonder about AF points selection controls - the likes of joystick, AF selection butoon, scroll-wheel. The images are small, but does it look like a scroll wheel there, or more a Rebel xy-way buttons?

We've got 5DIV in January, so will have to think about. Wanted to replace 70D with some small/cute companion for a street photography. Will wait for the M5/M6 II. EOS R, on the other side, with the price-tag and its specs - I wonder, where's the catch, as for 1900$, if right, looks like it could eat the 5DIV sales?

Has the $1900 price been confirmed or is it just from last weeks rumors?

Upvote 0